Pimping an old PC

Hey guys,

my parents are currently using an old PC with a core 2 dou and 2gb ddr2 Ram. My dad has a bunch of crap installed on the PC too so I was wondering if I could boost the performance by installing a SSD or is it smarter to build a new one? The current issue is is that it's super slow around startup and I generally think the HDD is the main source of the problem.

Thanks

I'd say build a cheap new system. I say this because everything else will be limiting the system, such as; SATA, CPU, RAM. Give me a budget, location, and usage and I am here to help.

Quote me to get a reply!

Do they just use it for basic tasks? (email, Facebook, YouTube, etc.)

Spoiler

There are a few other factors that can do this that don't include the obvious slower drive.

1) System startup is clogged. Excess programming starting from bootup

2) Malware infections

3) Older OS (XP, Vista, Etc)

4) It's a slow PC.

5) Just a bogged down Windows install. A re-install can aid in speeding it up some.

A SSD will boost performance, sure. For a small chunk of cash you can build a fairly simple system that will out perform it.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

if in fact the computer is slow based on software related issues, a reinstall of the operating system might show the most improvement.

SSD will show an improvement, however if you have poor performance based on poor/malicious software it would negate the effects of the ssd.

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

I'd say build a cheap new system. I say this because everything else will be limiting the system, such as; SATA, CPU, RAM. Give me a budget, location, and usage and I am here to help.

I can figure out how to build one myself and I have a few ideas of what might work

Do they just use it for basic tasks? (email, Facebook, YouTube, etc.)

yes :) except when my dad needs to convert a video to play on the PS3

There are a few other factors that can do this that don't include the obvious slower drive.

1) System startup is clogged. Excess programming starting from bootup

2) Malware infections

3) Older OS (XP, Vista, Etc)

4) It's a slow PC.

5) Just a bogged down Windows install. A re-install can aid in speeding it up some.

A SSD will boost performance, sure. For a small chunk of cash you can build a fairly simple system that will out perform it.

1)I also think that the system startup is clogged up, but programs I used to see which programs start on boot up didn't really satisfy me,

2)there is Norton installled on the PC and there might be a few stupid browser add ons,

3)they use windows 7,

4)I remember the PC working better, but my dad insists on installing a bunch of free ware on the PC basically only my mom uses during the week. like mp3 converters and DVD burners

5) could be 

if in fact the computer is slow based on software related issues, a reinstall of the operating system might show the most improvement.

SSD will show an improvement, however if you have poor performance based on poor/malicious software it would negate the effects of the ssd.

ok guessing from what you guys wrote it sounds like building a new PC is the best option followed by "cleaning up" or even re installing windows

ok guessing from what you guys wrote it sounds like building a new PC is the best option followed by "cleaning up" or even re installing windows

Yes, it is. Even if you put about 500$ into it you could get a really good system.(With OS)

Quote me to get a reply!

Reinstall windows if you do not want to spend any money.. Or like mentioned by others a new system does not have to be expensive if you parants do just basic stuff... For a couple of hundred bucks you should be doing just fine... Even a APU based build you got some OK graphics as well :)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

thanks guys :) I'm crossing my fingers that they want to get a new PC xD

Crossing fingers as well for you haha :D!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

1)I also think that the system startup is clogged up, but programs I used to see which programs start on boot up didn't really satisfy me,

You don't need a program to see what stars up when Windows boots. just go into System Configuration > Startup Tab. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would suggest you try a diffrent OS, before you buy any components.

You don't need a program to see what stars up when Windows boots. just go into System Configuration > Startup Tab. 

well on my PC dell back up and recovery starts up when I boot the computer, but it isn't in any of the startup menus and software that people recommended dind't help either

Upping the 2GB of DDR2 to 4GB + SSD will certainly breath new life into the old girl..

If the most intensive thing he does is convert video's for PS3 and then the rest of web browsing and youtube, whatnot,... then why bother getting a new machine when a dualcore with enough memory and an ssd will cover it EASILY.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

well on my PC dell back up and recovery starts up when I boot the computer, but it isn't in any of the startup menus and software that people recommended dind't help either

Like I said, you don't need any software, just go to System Configuration.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Like I said, you don't need any software, just go to System Configuration.

I know, but it wasn't there :/