tablet benchmarks

Teddy07

My father has problems with a custom home security app developed by an electrician. The guy told my father to buy a new tablet because the performance of the current one is allegedly not good enough anymore. I called BS on this because it worked before but my father doesn´t listen because he holds the guy in high regards which is why I gave up arguing and let him waste his money because he will find other projects to waste it anyways. (short version)

I could not find a benchmark with a tablet performance ranking. Any benchmark recommendations?

current tablet: Lenovo Tab 3 10 plus

Shortlist:

- surface pro (tablet only)

- Galaxy S4 tab

My father told me no Apple Ipads because his worker said apps cost money there. Yeah right, wasting 500 Euro on a tablet but thrifty on spending a few bucks on his two apps he needs. I assume the guy told my father a lie because he didn´t want to tell that his stupid app doesn´t work on iOS.

Did you try the App on the Lenovo Tab 3 10 Plus already? What exactly are the Problems? The app will either work, or it won't ^^ If it works, there is simply no need for a new Tablet. That has nothing to do with what someone sais, but just common sense. You see it yourself, if it works or not :P

I mean.. every prophet in the world could come to me, and tell me my Car is white. But i take a look at it, and see: No, it's black.

There is no "number" in benchmarks, where the tablet has enough performance for the app, or it doesn't. It's not such a "hard cap"

But: GeekBench shows the CPU Power, Antutu is a solid overall performance Benchmark, taking CPU AND Graphic performance into account, as well as Memory and storage speeds. The numbers might vary alot from current top models, but... If you just google a webpage or something, there won't be much difference ^^

That "Guy" is a dumbshit, ignorant (or a "blinded Fanboy" without knowledge), or just wants to sell your father something.

iOS is the by far superior OS than Android for tablets. There is a much better AND consistent performance, longer updates, MUCH better support, and MUCH higher Quality apps. And of course, there are alot of Free apps (still, there are some really damn awesome apps, that are worth spending money for. Just like on Android (Nova Launcher Prime for example).

Android Apps aren't even better tbh. Most Free versions are filled with Ads, or are just a low-spec version with in-app-purchases (and often still worse quality than iOS apps, and not optimized for tablet size).

There is a much better experience there overall, and even after many years, it's still very well useable.

So yea, it was a lie, because he wants to "sell" him his app?

Anyway. Surface Pro (Windows!!) is a bad Tablet (good product). It's a great Notebook-replacement, that can disguise itself as a tablet. But the pure Tablet experience is bad. Windows isn't that well optimized for Tablets, and the Performance isn't that great compared to a similar priced iPad for example. But it will work, if the App is available there, and there will be long updates with Windows.

The i5 version+ has a solid perforamce, the m3/m5 models are not the fastest, but shouldn't be slower than any low-end Android Tablet.

Depends on which generation that is.

S4 Tab is a great one, but it could be overkill AND it is quite overpriced (for that price, i would rather get a last gen iPad Pro 10,5"). But S3 could have an early support-end. Not that S 4 will have a long support either from Samsung....

How about another possibility: Look for another security software from someone that's not too stupid (or.. "Unfähig"? ) to include the most favourable Tablet OS, instead only Android (and Windows).

Either he does his job right, or i would look for someone, who can ^^

6 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

My father has problems with a custom home security app developed by an electrician. The guy told my father to buy a new tablet because the performance of the current one is allegedly not good enough anymore. I called BS on this because it worked before but my father doesn´t listen because he holds the guy in high regards which is why I gave up arguing and let him waste his money because he will find other projects to waste it anyways. (short version)

I could not find a benchmark with a tablet performance ranking. Any benchmark recommendations?

current tablet: Lenovo Tab 3 10 plus

Shortlist:

- surface pro (tablet only)

- Galaxy S4 tab

My father told me no Apple Ipads because his worker said apps cost money there. Yeah right, wasting 500 Euro on a tablet but thrifty on spending a few bucks on his two apps he needs. I assume the guy told my father a lie because he didn´t want to tell that his stupid app doesn´t work on iOS.

If you want the fastest mobile tablet... you get an iPad.

Now, if this custom app is Android-only, then you'll want to look at something like a Galaxy Tab S4 if money isn't an issue (S3 if it is).  But if it's available on iOS too, then go for the iPad.  The base model is at least competitive with (if not faster than) the fastest current Android tablets, and the iPad Pro is faster than most new laptops.

Also, straight-up: tell your father that his worker was lying about iOS apps always costing money.  I think I've paid for, what, one iPad-native app since getting mine?  Any iOS app can be free if the developer wants it to be.  I could post a screen capture of the App Store on my iPad if your father doesn't believe it.

Thanks guys. I will recommend my father a galaxy Tab S4/S3 despite being overkill. Money isn´t an issue for my father because he inherited property (now sold) and money after my mom's death. This started a spending spree from which nobody can stop him.

He already has 10+ new projects to waste money on if you miraculously talk him out of a project, for example, an 8k TV despite not even watching 4k content.

This is why my sisters and I gave up arguing and just let him waste his money. We try to ignore it. 

11 hours ago, Darkseth said:

That "Guy" is a dumbshit, ignorant (or a "blinded Fanboy" without knowledge), or just wants to sell your father something.

The guy is just an electrician with programming skills which does the security system on the side. He told my father fairy tale stories because my father can not even use a computer.

Look for another security software from someone that's not too stupid

I already told him that but it is way too late. The software is an alpha/beta version. The guy wants to start a company in the future. My father is basically a paying test person.

Also, straight-up: tell your father that his worker was lying about iOS apps always costing money.

That is what I told my father but he is so convinced of this guys skills. My father told me the guy could make millions with his developed app / system. LOL

I

t is like talking to a wall. I am glad that I no longer live at home and have to see how my father wastes his money.

It kinda hurts me to see when people get informed that wrong when they are not familiar with something.. And believe everything :(

Well at least.. even if S3 or even S4 are overkill.. They are still some fine pieces of Hardware, great Displays etc. You should be able to use them for a while. The included S-Pen might also be helpful for some stuff, like Taking Notes ^^

On 12/24/2018 at 4:26 AM, Darkseth said:

Well at least.. even if S3 or even S4 are overkill..

I gave him all the facts and said even the S3 is overkill. He will buy the S4 because he doesn´t want to buy old stuff even if he spends 160 Euro for absolutely no reason. Well, it kinda was expected considering he bought a 450  Euro top notch color laser printer (Brother MFC-9332CDW) because he prints 2 pages a week. It is just insane ?