Redmi Note 5 AI Version VS Xiaomi Mi A1

So, I am looking to buy a new phone for around $170. Brand name doesn't really matter to me so I saw Xiaomi offering me the best Bang For Buck.

However I found 2 phones that were pretty good. I can't seem to decide between the 2

I can either get a Xiaomi Mi A2 (4 GB RAM, 32 GB Storage, Snapdragon 660) for $168 USD

OR

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 AI Edition (3 GB RAM, 32 GB Storage, Snapdragon 636) for $160 USD

I am not really sure which one to get as I am worried about the Ram management and the design of the Mi A2. I saw a few vids that complained about the Mi A2's Ram Managment and Battery. 

In terms of design, I kinda like the look of the Redmi Note 5 AI Edition.

Good performance is crucial for me as I am a heavy user and I plan on keeping for a long time (4 years)

In terms of Software, I am really fine with MIUI and Android One, however, I'd kinda like to give MIUI a try.

The Micro-USB port in the Redmi Note 5 AI doesn't bother me much either, as its still pretty common where I live and I really like the 4000 mAh battery in the Redmi Note 5 AI

So what do you guys recommend me to buy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A2 of course.

- More Ram

- faster Processor

- Android One = Will get 2 years major updates, and 3 years security updates. Android 11 should still come.

Battery is "only" 3080 mAh~, so that's what you get.

Ram management: Well, 4gb Ram > 3gb Ram.

If you go for the Note 5, you should consider LineageOS as a Custom Rom (at least in 2+ years, when updates slow down)

What about a Pocophone F1 (Check if the LTE Bands are supported from your country/carrier ! )? Incredibly fast, and will much more likely serve you well for 4 years than any midrange/entry level phone.

Mi A2 lite is a beast. 

It has almost everything the Mi A2 has, except the better camera and Snapdragon 660,but if you're not a tough gamer, you won't mind that. 

Games just run fine on Snapchat 625.

Mi A2 Lite even has more battery, it also does support fast charging (well not so fast, but it gets the job done), and it even has a better screen,aside from the Notch. 

While we're at the Notch, most apps will run fine and over time, or with app updates most apps themselves will adapt, so that they don't obstructly block over the display cutout. 

There is no any kind of option to hide it, but I'm assuming that you will get used to it, just like my friend did. 

When playing PUBG Mobile, the game will adjust itself after some time and the Notch won't make any problems at all. 

On some Apps/Games, the rest of the status bar next to the cutout just blacks itself, hiding the Notch. 

In conclusion both Mi A2 and it's little brother are far better than Redmi Note 5 AI, and they are based on the Android One program meaning that you will get faster updates. 

The software is smooth, but compared to MIUI, EMUI, Samsung Experience it lacks many features and customisation but it's not that far off. It does heat up, but only after extensive periods of Gaming. 

Plus Mi A2 Lite has a headphone jack and expandable memory. At some points it's better than the Mi A2 itself. 

Sound wise, it's loud, and it does not have stereo sound. The camera is a little washed out, but it's normal since we're talking about a device below 300 USD$. 

In many ways I suggest you get Mi A2 Lite, but it's up to you. 

22 hours ago, Darkseth said:

A2 of course.

- More Ram

- faster Processor

- Android One = Will get 2 years major updates, and 3 years security updates. Android 11 should still come.

Battery is "only" 3080 mAh~, so that's what you get.

Ram management: Well, 4gb Ram > 3gb Ram.

If you go for the Note 5, you should consider LineageOS as a Custom Rom (at least in 2+ years, when updates slow down)

What about a Pocophone F1 (Check if the LTE Bands are supported from your country/carrier ! )? Incredibly fast, and will much more likely serve you well for 4 years than any midrange/entry level phone.

I am getting the Mi A2 for half the price of the Pocophone F1.

ok that is indeed a good argument.

still, a Pocophone COULD be worth, if you think you're someone who can notice the Spec difference.

I think, if you want to use a phone for 4 years, and still want a decent performance after 3+ years, the strongest Hardware is favourable.

If you just use "basics", it won't matter much, and even a Note 5 will work for 4 years.