Solid State Drives

Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

Go ahead and buy the SSD now, you won't regret it.  And when you do get it, install a clean, fresh copy of Win10 on it using a Windows Media Creation Tool usb/flashdrive.  Morphing the os from the old HDD over to the SSD is nothing but headaches in the long run.  Just make sure that you back up all your important files such as documents, pictures, and other stuff.  Better yet, before you install the SSD, disconnect the HDD from the system.

I have a 1TB WD BLUE HDD

Im on a budget and I'll be using a ryzen 5 2400g and its iGPU until I buy a rx570

Is it okay to load my OS on the HDD then when I buy an SSD (after i get the gpu) I'll just transfer the OS to there. 

or should I instead  just buy  the SSD early?

buying it now will make it easier to work with pc, transfering os is not really recommended really, if you don't buy it now, I would recommend you to reinstall windows on ssd from the begining when you get it.

you can have os on both hdd and ssd. 

dont bother copy whole os, just too slow.

install fresh windows just tak less than 10 min, then manually copy config files / game save etc

Go ahead and buy the SSD now, you won't regret it.  And when you do get it, install a clean, fresh copy of Win10 on it using a Windows Media Creation Tool usb/flashdrive.  Morphing the os from the old HDD over to the SSD is nothing but headaches in the long run.  Just make sure that you back up all your important files such as documents, pictures, and other stuff.  Better yet, before you install the SSD, disconnect the HDD from the system.

10 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

So what you're saying is you recommend  me to get the SSD early but it is possible  to get it later on and use it?

3 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

So what you're saying is you recommend  me to get the SSD early but it is possible  to get it later on and use it?

Sure.

You should always clean install windows, especially when moving it from an HDD to an SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Get a 250 GB SSD (same price as 1 TB HDD) and when you have the funds buy the HDD to expand storage.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

5 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Get a 250 GB SSD (same price as 1 TB HDD) and when you have the funds buy the HDD to expand storage.

even at a budget, i think 500gb is the sweet spot right now.

no matter which one you get, budget ssd a400/ bx500 or high end 860evo/ mx500, and the price gap has narrowed down to a point you can really forget budget ssd

14 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

no matter which one you get, budget ssd a400/ bx500 or high end 860evo/ mx500, and the price gap has narrowed down to a point you can really forget budget ssd

I agree a 500 GB drive is a much better value, but OP seems squeezed for cash right now and penny pinching on parts. A 250 GB SSD gets the job done even if only just.

If the most he is going to pay for storage is $40-50 (for a 1 TB drive) he might as well buy a 250 GB SSD as the first storage medium. That'll likely get him through a few months and then get an HDD for mass storage.

If he can scrounge an extra $20-30 I absolutely recommend he gets a ~500 GB SSD instead. Either the MX 500 or 860 EVO are great choices (860 EVO is fastest), but ADATA has some ok products as well. I'm not familiar with other brands cell structures or controllers so I can't comment on them.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

1 hour ago, WestTexan said:

I have a 1TB WD BLUE HDD

1 hour ago, ATFink said:

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

47 minutes ago, ATFink said:

I agree a 500 GB drive is a much better value, but OP seems squeezed for cash right now and penny pinching on parts. A 250 GB SSD gets the job done even if only just.

If the most he is going to pay for storage is $40-50 (for a 1 TB drive) he might as well buy a 250 GB SSD as the first storage medium. That'll likely get him through a few months and then get an HDD for mass storage.

If he can scrounge an extra $20-30 I absolutely recommend he gets a ~500 GB SSD instead. Either the MX 500 or 860 EVO are great choices (860 EVO is fastest), but ADATA has some ok products as well. I'm not familiar with other brands cell structures or controllers so I can't comment on them.

So you guys are against me installing windows on my HDD then when i buy an SSD I can install it on there.Why?

5 minutes ago, WestTexan said:

So you guys are against me installing windows on my HDD then when i buy an SSD I can install it on there.Why?

Absolutely!  You won't wonder why after you do because the difference is so big that you will wonder why you didn't do it last year.

37 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Absolutely!  You won't wonder why after you do because the difference is so big that you will wonder why you didn't do it last year.

Well, I have no experience in any of this.So I'll take your  word for it.If i buy a 120GB is it okay if i just put windows on the SSD and the rest on my HDD?

5 hours ago, WestTexan said:

I have a 1TB WD BLUE HDD

Im on a budget and I'll be using a ryzen 5 2400g and its iGPU until I buy a rx570

Is it okay to load my OS on the HDD then when I buy an SSD (after i get the gpu) I'll just transfer the OS to there. 

or should I instead  just buy  the SSD early?

You should get an M.2 Nvme drive. 

9 hours ago, WestTexan said:

Well, I have no experience in any of this.So I'll take your  word for it.If i buy a 120GB is it okay if i just put windows on the SSD and the rest on my HDD?

Yep, that is exactly what you want to do.  Use the Windows Media Creation Tool for your Windows install and you will be doing great.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_159229&tduid=(ir__hlqsbebss0dmsish01evqcvdzm2xhyt3dl1vfzij00)(7593)(159229)()(UUwpUdUnU50931)&irclickid=_hlqsbebss0dmsish01evqcvdzm2xhyt3dl1vfzij00