Can I overload a PSU and get away with it?

Giganizer300PRO
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

A 4690K and a 970 on a 500W CPU? seems like you have lots of room to me. Don't take much stock in power draw calculators, I took a watt meter to my bro's PC, which also has an i5 and a 970, peak draw is under 200 watts.

I have a Corsair CX500M (see full build in spoiler). I'm currently running 3 1080p monitors (2x 60Hz, 1x 75Hz). I have 2x 120mm fans on the CPU cooler and 3 140mm fans in the case. The CPU is overclocked at 4.5GHz on 1.216V max (both variable, adjust to load). I overclock my GPU as well with the power limit maxed out at 120% and core voltage at +25 mV.

Spoiler

image.png.f3b612e5a28ca260ecc6823aa6858acc.png

Spoiler

image.png.437beaa98659f27074ec757cfd5cce7f.png

I'm looking to add 8 hard drives as well as a PCIe RAID card to my system. I used some load calculators and the extra drives add almost 100W to the load consumption. These drives would be in a RAID array for secondary storage for rarely used files. Here are the drives (total 11, would only be adding 8 of these):

- 2x WD1600AAJS 

- 7x ST3160812AS 

- 1x ST3160815AS 

- 1x WD1600AAJS 

My question is, can I get away with adding all these drives and the RAID card to my system without changing the PSU? When the CPU and GPU would be under load (gaming), the drives would most likely not be in use (if that's what it took, I'd make sure). How much over PSU's rating can I go and still boot and how much when under load? Would not stressing the drives at the same time as the CPU and GPU help with the load on the PSU? Would it help if I got rid of one monitor or some fans? 

A 4690K and a 970 on a 500W CPU? seems like you have lots of room to me. Don't take much stock in power draw calculators, I took a watt meter to my bro's PC, which also has an i5 and a 970, peak draw is under 200 watts.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

29 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Wow. 200W on full or at least semi full (80-100%) load on both? I knew not to take power calculators too seriously, but that's a big difference. I didn't think it could be that far off. I guess I'll just test and see if it boots. Maybe I'll get some kind of a meter to see the actual load.

13 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

Wow. 200W on full or at least semi full (80-100%) load on both? I knew not to take power calculators too seriously, but that's a big difference. I didn't think it could be that far off. I guess I'll just test and see if it boots. Maybe I'll get some kind of a meter to see the actual load.

They're not actually that expensive, and if you only need precision to the nearest integer, you can get a decent one for $15

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad