What type of SSD can I use in a Xiaomi Notebook Pro

Benliam12

Hi, I recently bought a Xiaomi notebook Pro (8GB ram, i5 model)

With the 256GB NvMe SSD, I'm a bit stuck. I need more storage to store video clips, photo and other big document. I know there is a second M.2 slot in this laptop. The thing is, I've been searching for what type of SSD I could put in but the answer were not the same. Some people say that I can ONLY put in a second NvMe drive but the slot is x2 and not x4. Some people say I can ONLY put a Sata 3 drive and again, some people say I can put both of them. People also seem to be saying that the biggest drive I can put is 1TB.

SO, I'm here to have a good answer before buying a second drive.

If you need some more information, don't be shy to ask.

Benliam12

CPU - R9 5900X | GPU - ASUS KO RTX 3070 | Storage - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 8TB Seagate HDD , 4TB Seagate HDD | Ram - 64GB DDR4 | OS - Windows 10 Pro | Case - NZXT S340 black

13 minutes ago, Benliam12 said:

ask

Have you contacted the manufacturer of the laptop for a definitive answer?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Move the unit that comes with the computer to the secondary slot and try, if it works, it is compatible with NVMe. If you wish, you can run benchmarks before you begin to know at what speed your SSD is being transferred. The Gen 3 x2 should be close to 1.97 GB/s and the Gen 3 x4 should be close to 3.94 GB/s, this is explained in the Wikipedia for PCI Express and I doubt you are using the Generation or version 4 by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions

image.png.483aab49e72de12d2c41624a07fd7dd9.png

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

8 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Move the unit that comes with the computer to the secondary slot and try, if it works, it is compatible with NVMe. If you wish, you can run benchmarks before you begin to know at what speed your SSD is being transferred. The Gen 3 x2 should be close to 1.97 GB/s and the Gen 3 x4 should be close to 3.94 GB/s, this is explained in the Wikipedia for PCI Express and I doubt you are using the Generation or version 4 by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions

image.png.483aab49e72de12d2c41624a07fd7dd9.png

Thank you very much! I will try this before buying a new drive!

CPU - R9 5900X | GPU - ASUS KO RTX 3070 | Storage - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 8TB Seagate HDD , 4TB Seagate HDD | Ram - 64GB DDR4 | OS - Windows 10 Pro | Case - NZXT S340 black