G-Sync vs FreeSync Monitor

N1C2010
Go to solution Solved by mr moose,
10 hours ago, N1C2010 said:

I don't tend to play many games where my GPU would produce more than 144 fps so just getting my favourite monitor looks like the way to go. Thanks!

Perfect.  And given the monitor can do 144, if you ever did experience screen tear you could just enable vsync or one of the other capping options like that and you likely won't even notice the change in FPS.

I've recently decided to upgrade my PC and want to upgrade to a 1440p 144Hz monitor as well. My current favourite is: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/OPTIX-AG32CQ but is there a G Sync Monitor that is similar to this both in specs and price???

all i want is another great halo game.

Having GSync on a monitor usually adds a significant bit to the price of said monitor, so (without looking) I'd say no, there is not

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

G-Sync monitors tend to be much more expensive due to a specialized (and expensive) chip that is required for G-Sync to work.

I'd say no, pretty much impossible unless there's a big sale.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

The reason G-Sync is so expensive is because unlike AMD it's not a software that is installed on the monitor and is open sourced, its a specialized chip which is harder and more expensive than FreeSync.

So the answer to your question is:

No you cannot find a relatively same priced G-Sync monitor.

Unless you have 400$ and willing to spend them on a monitor its unlikely for you to get a G-Sync monitor

26 minutes ago, N1C2010 said:

I've recently decided to upgrade my PC and want to upgrade to a 1440p 144Hz monitor as well. My current favourite is: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/OPTIX-AG32CQ but is there a G Sync Monitor that is similar to this both in specs and price???

Just save the money and go with free-sync, screen tearing is less noticeable at 144hz anyways.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

You can look used. I found an Asus ROG Swift PQ278Q for $320

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

12 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just save the money and go with free-sync, screen tearing is less noticeable at 144hz anyways.

So if I was running an NVIDIA card am I still just better off getting this monitor anyway? Save the money if screen tearing isn't bad

6 minutes ago, N1C2010 said:

So if I was running an NVIDIA card am I still just better off getting this monitor anyway? Save the money if screen tearing isn't bad

If your card cannot produce frames faster than your monitor then neither freesync nor gsync is really beneficial too you.  However if you have an Nvidia card already and you intend playing games that you know you will over shoot the monitor, then its worth doing the math on.  It may be cheaper to pay the extra for G-sync than to upgrade you GPU as well (especially if you are looking at top end stuff).

This might help:

https://techguided.com/is-freesync-worth-it-in-2018/

The conclusion is pretty average but it goes through the basics so you know what you are comparing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If your card cannot produce frames faster than your monitor then neither freesync nor gsync is really beneficial too you.  However if you have an Nvidia card already and you intend playing games that you know you will over shoot the monitor, then its worth doing the math on.  It may be cheaper to pay the extra for G-sync than to upgrade you GPU as well (especially if you are looking at top end stuff).

This might help:

https://techguided.com/is-freesync-worth-it-in-2018/

The conclusion is pretty average but it goes through the basics so you know what you are comparing.

I don't tend to play many games where my GPU would produce more than 144 fps so just getting my favourite monitor looks like the way to go. Thanks!

10 hours ago, N1C2010 said:

Perfect.  And given the monitor can do 144, if you ever did experience screen tear you could just enable vsync or one of the other capping options like that and you likely won't even notice the change in FPS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.