What upgrades should I make?

Hi, I am wondering what upgrades I should make to my current PC to achieve at least 144 fps on every game I play on at least medium settings at 1080p. I do have a 144 hz monitor, which is why I am asking for at least 144 fps. My current build contains the following. 

• MSI B250M micro atx LGA 1151 (which i'm guessing needs an upgrade b/c I cannot overclock with it.)
  • EVGA GTX 1060 3gb
  • i5-7600k at 3.8ghz (with hyper 212 cooler, i want to o/c to 4.2ish)
  • 2x8gb Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2666 MT/s
  • 250gb SSD 6Gb/s; 1Tb hdd 5400rpm
  • Corsair Cx 450W 80+ bronze PSU,
  • Rosewill ATX case with 4 120mm fans.

I was considering upgrading to a EVGA 1070 ti and a ASRock Z170A-X1, will these two upgrades be enough or do I need more? I was thinking I might be able to use the 450W PSU, but maybe that needs an upgrade? And I think my CPU would work fine with the 1070 ti unless I am mistaken. Thank you!

Also planning on doing this right after Christmas, so any response would be much appreciated!

you should be fine with the psu for now, assuming you don't have it longer than 5 years.

You could get something like a artic freezer 33 esports one if the cooler isn't doing it's job good enough, but the other two upgrades seem fine to me

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Before you get ANY advice, we need probably the most important piece of information...what's your budget?

I would like to spend 500 or less, but if there's opportunity to make it perform higher at a slightly higher cost, I'm in.

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

you should be fine with the psu for now, assuming you don't have it longer than 5 years.

You could get something like a artic freezer 33 esports one if the cooler isn't doing it's job good enough, but the other two upgrades seem fine to me

Would you think that those two upgrades would keep me ahead of future games for around 2 years? At 144fps that is.

2 minutes ago, Fugazzy said:

I would like to spend 500 or less, but if there's opportunity to make it perform higher at a slightly higher cost, I'm in.

Your build isn't honestly that bad. If you're really looking for a performance upgrade than yeah you're good. Check your local prices and compare a 1070ti vs a RTX 2070. It's the same bascially. I would get an OC board though, so a Z370 board would work well with your unlocked processor. 

1 minute ago, Fugazzy said:

Would you think that those two upgrades would keep me ahead of future games for around 2 years? At 144fps that is.

Definitely with a 1070ti/2070 and a Z370 board. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Definitely with a 1070ti/2070 and a Z370 board. 

It's a 7th gen cpu. It won't work with a z370 board. They would need a z270 or z170 motherboard that being said they should get a z270 as some z170 might require a bios update to accept the 7th gen cpu. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

It's a 7th gen cpu. It won't work with a z370 board. They would need a z270 or z170 motherboard that being said they should get a z270 as some z170 might require a bios update to accept the 7th gen cpu. 

Damn, missed the gen. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thank you all, will be considering a 1070 ti or 2070 and a cheap z270 motherboard.

Thank you all, will be considering a 1070 ti or 2070 and a cheap z270 motherboard.

Consider vega 64 too, they are pretty cheap to find rn, and with some undervolting they run pretty good, but you'll need a better psu for it

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

Consider vega 64 too, they are pretty cheap to find rn, and with some undervolting they run pretty good, but you'll need a better psu for it

Will it be compatible with the i5 and the motherboard? And would you recommend buying the PSU and vega 64 or just a 1070ti/2070?

20 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

a normal build with a GTX 1070 draws 336w-ish, I think the PSU might be a little anemic.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

10 minutes ago, Fugazzy said:

Will it be compatible with the i5 and the motherboard? And would you recommend buying the PSU and vega 64 or just a 1070ti/2070?

To build off of @LukeSavenije suggestion, the Vega 64 would be a great option. You can get a reference, blower style, model for $399 USD right now. As for a PSU, I'd recommend either a SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 650 watt because I personally own one OR an EVGA 750W supernova G2.

PSU: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/holiday-shopping/deals

EDIT PSU: (Just found this EVGA supernova G3 750w for 40 USD off) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1328594-REG/evga_220_g3_0750_x1_supernova_750_g3_750w.html

GPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-Video Cards - AMD%2FATI-_-Sapphire Tech-_-14202326&ignorebbr=1

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

2 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

To build off of @LukeSavenije suggestion, the Vega 64 would be a great option. You can get a reference, blower style, model for $399 USD right now. As for a PSU, I'd recommend either a SeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 650 watt because I personally own one OR an EVGA 750W supernova G2.

PSU: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/holiday-shopping/deals

GPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-Video Cards - AMD%2FATI-_-Sapphire Tech-_-14202326&ignorebbr=1

Just adding to the psus, anything tier b or higher on the list down is recommended for this system, you can go tier c, but as it is a high end system and a good psu can last between 7 and 12 years I recommend spending a bit more on it

12 minutes ago, Fugazzy said:

It will be, without a problem. The nice thing with amd gpus is that they support freesync, so that's why I've given the option. But I still recommend both, and a new psu never hurts

4 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

It will be, without a problem. The nice thing with amd gpus is that they support freesync, so that's why I've given the option. But I still recommend both, and a new psu never hurts

Now would it be worth o/c the cpu to boost performance, or would the new gpu be good enough so I could just keep my motherboard and get the GPU/PSU.

Now would it be worth o/c the cpu to boost performance, or would the new gpu be good enough so I could just keep my motherboard and get the GPU/PSU.

Well, those will probably bottleneck in games, I do recommend getting a new mobo if possivle

You could get a 1070 or 1070 Ti. Maybe a 1080 if you really wanted. All of those cards average at or above 144.

26 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Well, those will probably bottleneck in games, I do recommend getting a new mobo if possivle

The CPU would bottleneck? Or the mobo? And if it is the CPU, would raising the Ghz from 3.8 to 4.2ish help?

2 minutes ago, Fugazzy said:

The CPU would bottleneck? Or the mobo? And if it is the CPU, would raising the Ghz from 3.8 to 4.2ish help?

it's the cpu here. a fair oc like that should do the job

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

it's the cpu here. a fair oc like that should do the job

Thanks!