What would you do ?

After trying out the maximum fan function of my 1060 card i found out, much to my surprise, that it actually blows instead of pulling air in. I found this out by letting the fans spin at their maximum and then feeling around with my fingers, almost lost one, around the gtx card... There was a strong wind underneath the card but nothing on the outsides or at the front. 

Do you think that i need to drill open some of the holes from the plastic dust protection for a better airflow or is the setup covered with all those miniholes and the slides on the side? Or maybe even decide on relocating the card higher into the system though that would prob mean that my front fan only would work for the gtx ( which ain't wrong ofcourse )

I already changed the fan control to the software where the temperature is at the same height as with the amount of spin on the fans 

20181217_154250_resized_1.jpg

20181217_154237_resized_1.jpg

20181217_154822_resized_1.jpg

move your graphics card up to the top pci-e slot, should already help with cooling, make sure you have proper intake and exhaust. it should be fine then, if the temps are okay

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

Your card must always be in the top slot because lower slots have lower bandwidth which hurts performance.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Your card must always be in the top slot because lower slots have lower bandwidth which hurts performance.

Its an SLI slot so no performance loss there 

7 minutes ago, Martijn Klerks said:

move your graphics card up to the top pci-e slot, should already help with cooling, make sure you have proper intake and exhaust. it should be fine then, if the temps are okay

Could you eleborate on your answer plz? 

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Just now, Christiaan21-03 said:

Its an SLI slot so no performance loss there 

Also, even the latest and greatest cards don't fully saturate a PCIe x8 slot iirc

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

Move the card up so you don't choke it against the floor, that's a start at least

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

To confirm it 100%, tear a tissue paper to be long like ribbon, and put it closly to the GPU fans, does it blow like what you said or suck the air in to its heatsink. My exact same GPU like yours sucks air without confusion..

Do you have an intake fan in the lower front panel?

This MSI card heatsink orientation design is different with most of the other cards. The heatsink will exhausts the heat to the front and back of the case, it's like the blower style heatsink orientation ??

161be1eb-c807-444d-a16b-27aa66f78504.png.447ab413d1ba47e1f2df549d76af046e.png

While most of the other cards are like this ??

773815207_images(5).jpeg.cefa240e2fc9733383acf0c82772a3ba.jpeg

So you'll get the idea of where you will get the blowing air and i'm sure the fans are actually sucks the air from below it, not blowing down instead..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

3 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

So you'll get the idea of where you will get the blowing air and i'm sure the fans are actually sucks the air from below it, not blowing down instead..

Well i'm sorry to say your wrong.. or atleast thats what my finding suggest atm. I only tested it for around 5 mins to be sure there was a downward stream of air and not an upward stream of air.... There is virtually no air release on the sides of this 1060 or at the fronts only at the bottom….

I will be testing this again tomorrow to validate the result ;) 

This is the system btw after about 20 mins of playing BattleTech on High settings on 1080p … Not really any signs of worrying though you can see from the usage this is hardly a game suited for proper gpu testing 

battletech.png

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Move the card up so you don't choke it against the floor, that's a start at least

Thats a bit of my fear though… it pushed downward.. maybe the pressure from the air prevents the use of those microholes … the air thats pushed down has only a few options because of that ventilator still blowing... it can make an escape past the cm of room between the gpu's side and the case .. ofcourse on that height you have some ventilation slots… on the back too but the front will meet the air send to it by the front cooler... Again i'm not even sure if i envision this correctly ( statement from another post )  

ofcourse if i move the card a slot up the air can work its way unhindered but that will heat up the rest of the motherboard….. which might be not that much of a concern.. the front fan needs to work on full trottle then to bring some coolness to that section… at the cpu height live becomes very different... The output of the be quiet shadowrock fan will be held back against the isolated plate of the 1060 … limiting that space in a certain way 

25 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Well i'm sorry to say your wrong.. or atleast thats what my finding suggest atm. I only tested it for around 5 mins to be sure there was a downward stream of air and not an upward stream of air.... There is virtually no air release on the sides of this 1060 or at the fronts only at the bottom….

I will be testing this again tomorrow to validate the result ;) 

This is the system btw after about 20 mins of playing BattleTech on High settings on 1080p … Not really any signs of worrying though you can see from the usage this is hardly a game suited for proper gpu testing 

Well that's new to me knowing a gpu fans can act in pull configuration..

Have you tested it with tissue paper and see where the air goes?

Can you confirm it by touching the fans with small cable tie?

product_4_20160715154903_5788956f2ec44.png.2fd0ff78bfdf805c2a46da47a38ba747.png

We are referring to this model, right? Just to make sure we are on the same page.

Touch the fans with small cable tie, if the cable tie is indicating the fan rotates anti-clockwise by facing this side, you have it sucks air in, if it rotates clockwise it blows air downward.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

5 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

We are referring to this model, right? Just to make sure we are on the same page.

Yes the MSI GTX Nvidia 1060 3GB Gaming X model ….
I just looked for a bit, kinda busy atm, but let me say it again like this… there is no air release along any side of the 1060 other then the fan side  

16 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

there is no air release along any side of the 1060 other then the fan side  

Don't make an assumption only by feeling it with your hand. Because on skin, pulled airflow also can feel as blown airflow. Let's confirm it with tissue paper, where the tissue goes, there the air goes, or by touching with small cable tie, as simple as that, so we are not in the gray zone for too long.

Maybe it's the lower front intake fan (if you have it installed) which somehow can also contribute to the confusion..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Don't make an assumption only by feeling it with your hand. Because on skin, pulled airflow also can feel as blown airflow. Let's confirm it with tissue paper, where the tissue goes, there the air goes, or by touching with small cable tie, as simple as that, so we are not in the gray zone for too long.

Maybe it's the lower front intake fan (if you have it installed) which somehow can also contribute to the confusion..

Well i tested with the fans spinning on 100% … There is a lot of air displacement... It may sound ridicilous but i have a very hard time believing that the amount of air displaced can't be felt with the hand.... anyway… i'm hoping to confirm or not how the status is tomorrow…. The suggestion of the confusion with the front panel is quite oke but i think that interference can be discarded. That fan is blowing around 700 rpm and is manually controlled with a turning button thats integrated with the on and off button... On 700 rpm the displacement is cold but is, by hand , only noticeable to lets say 5 cm's inward of the device... The front of the card is approx 12 cm's removed from the back of the frontpanel fan. The card its self is about 28 cm's long and 14,5 cm's width 

3 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

It may sound ridicilous but i have a very hard time believing that the amount of air displaced can't be felt with the hand

It's not that the hand can't feel airflow but instead that the hand isn't a good tool for measuring airflow amount nor direction. I'm not sure if Msi's de-dust feature is still being used with the Gaming X coolers but it's not that uncommon of a feature in graphics cards. https://www.eteknix.com/msi-gives-its-graphics-cards-reverse-fan-dust-removal-technology/

27a.jpg 

If the feature is still being used and you actually tested for 5min, it seems like the cooler might be stuck in reverse mode. As others have mentioned, it's probably a good idea to use something other than your hand like some tissue paper to measure airflow direction. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If the feature is still being used and you actually tested for 5min, it seems like the cooler might be stuck in reverse mode. As others have mentioned, it's probably a good idea to use something other than your hand like some tissue paper to measure airflow direction. 

Yes ofcourse…. This day i discovered that its indeed difficult to feel the direction of the airflow and certainly in such a tight compartment. After using some tissue paper i observed a clear pull towards the fan. Its still somewhat mystifying about the how and where of the air release but i can confirm that it seems to be exactly as is shown on the heatsink picture provided by MSI on their homepage. there is a relative strong breeze exciting along the visible parts of the heatpipes and a very very small breeze on the outsides… Somehow the amount of air does not seem to add up but again that is feeling based… the interior is pretty dense ofcourse so no telling what the heck happens inside of that device. 

This confirmation still throws up the same questions…
should i remove the microhole plastic dustcovering for instance and
what is the best location for the 1060 in my case.... In my humblest of opinions i still tend to favour the lowest pcie x16 slot then the upwards one 

msi.png

msi 2.png

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Its still somewhat mystifying about the how and where of the air release but i can confirm that it seems to be exactly as is shown on the heatsink picture provided by MSI on their homepage. there is a relative strong breeze exciting along the visible parts of the heatpipes and a very very small breeze on the outsides… Somehow the amount of air does not seem to add up but again that is feeling based… the interior is pretty dense ofcourse so no telling what the heck happens inside of that device.

The way GPU coolers work is quite simple. Fan pulls air in, towards PCB to cool it. Air then moves where it can. With full plastic shroud, as in blower cards, it moved out to only place it can, towards rear of card/case. Hence name. With open-air coolers, there isn't plastic on heatsink sides. So air escapes all over the case, to every open side of heatsink, cooling the fins while doing so. This is same principle as with down-draft/top-flow CPU coolers (like stock coolers). Which is also reason why its too hard for you to note or measure it.

1 hour ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

This confirmation still throws up the same questions…
should i remove the microhole plastic dustcovering for instance and
what is the best location for the 1060 in my case.... In my humblest of opinions i still tend to favour the lowest pcie x16 slot then the upwards one

Top most slot is best overall. Since fans are intake-kind, they will have most fresh air there. Seeing that your case has very little space under it. You shouldn't remove dust filters, that would be bad. Instead, when you get more space under the card, you can add fan there to push air directly to card.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

28 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which is also reason why its too hard for you to note or measure it.

yea exactly and ofcourse with the temperature changes it becomes even more difficult though at the time of testing it was around 23 degrees C. Its indeed to easy to say .. look i hear a hella ofa lot of noise and feel a lot of disturbance so where is the air but reality… 

28 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Instead, when you get more space under the card, you can add fan there to push air directly to card.

Yea… I figured if i use the downslot it basically functions the same way as an case fan.. more or less…. There is still the fresh air from the front fan ofcourse .. atleast the bottom halve and the exhaust is cooled partially by the metallic case and the heated air that flows upward still will be cooled by the upper halve of the air from the front fan... ( my ssd is placed almost at the same height as the center of the front fan thus splitting the air flow in 2 of sorts )  

thanks for the feedback so far this is really helpfull

5 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

yea exactly and ofcourse with the temperature changes it becomes even more difficult though at the time of testing it was around 23 degrees C. Its indeed to easy to say .. look i hear a hella ofa lot of noise and feel a lot of disturbance so where is the air but reality… 

Yea… I figured if i use the downslot it basically functions the same way as an case fan.. more or less…. There is still the fresh air from the front fan ofcourse .. atleast the bottom halve and the exhaust is cooled partially by the metallic case and the heated air that flows upward still will be cooled by the upper halve of the air from the front fan... ( my ssd is placed almost at the same height as the center of the front fan thus splitting the air flow in 2 of sorts )  

thanks for the feedback so far this is really helpfull

Problem with having card so low is how air moves after its out of front intakes effective range, so to speak. Watch some videos about how air moves through different style fan and inside the case. Usually they use smoke to realize air moving. With card at bottom slot, most air coming from front intake will go over it, it push against air exhausting from that side of heatsink. Only 10% will actually find its way down to fans. Estimated ofc based on how much space there is. Compared to if card would be 2 slots up, then, if fan is as low as possible, maybe 40-50% of its air would be directed towards cards fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

29 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Watch some videos about how air moves

Yes!!! must investigate more!! ................. must prove case in this particular case!!!    ….. MUST BE THE BEST AIRFRYER IN THE WORLD WUAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!