MSI Z97 S Power Issue

mbryant

Okay so a few days ago I tried to power my computer on and all of my fans were spinning but my GPU didn't light up and nothing came on screen. Assuming it was a GPU issue I unplugged and plugged it back in and everything was fine. Repeat that issue a couple of times and we get to yesterday when my computer "shut off" while in regular use. Fans were spinning but no light on GPU. This time I tried something different and re-seated my RAM. Computer booted normally. Today when this happened I noticed something weird when I turned the PSU back on. There was a small (what I'm going to assume is an LED) flash below the bottom PCI-E slot. 

I've attached 2 images. One has the area circled where I saw this flash and the other is the message I get after rebooting from power loss. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14xZIMkQbVDq_-W2RV9uhQsBUZshaBrhM

Assuming it's the board this is a perfect excuse to upgrade. What would you all suggest fair market price for a 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, and 16GB of Crucial Ballistix 16GB is? 

I'd sell the rest of the parts but I'm trying to keep my costs down so I'm keeping everything else. I might sell the case but I'm not decided on that yet. 

Any ideas as to if this IS the board and what I could maybe do about it? 

MSI.png

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Well, looking at the date your computer displays, your BIOS battery might be empty. If you also have onboard graphics, it might take a couple of tries before it recognizes the PCI-e card and switches from 'onboard graphics' default settings to 'pci-e graphics'. Problem reoccurs when switching of the pc because then you reset the BIOS again.

The battery is usually a CR2032 3 volt battery, and is located to the right of your red circle.

But that's not the main problem. Your graphics card shouldn't switch off during use.

Check your pci-e power cabling in the PSU and GPU. You can also check if the second PCI-e slot works.

Next thing is to check GPU temperature, as it might be overheating. Run some benchmarks to see if it shuts down under load.

No signature found

2 minutes ago, RobbinM said:

Well, looking at the date your computer displays, your BIOS battery might be empty. If you also have onboard graphics, it might take a couple of tries before it recognizes the PCI-e card and switches from 'onboard graphics' default settings to 'pci-e graphics'. Problem reoccurs when switching of the pc because then you reset the BIOS again.

The battery is usually a CR2032 3 volt battery, and is located to the right of your red circle.

I REALLY hate that I over looked that. Can it boot without the battery? I debated taking it out once thinking that taking it out and putting in. Any ideas as to why it might shut off while in use for several hours?

"it might take a couple of tries before it recognizes the PCI-e card and switches from 'onboard graphics' default settings to 'pci-e graphics'."

Also, the first time I had this happen I tried to just let it run to see if it would sort itself out. I let it go for about 2 minutes and it just stayed as it was. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

It surely can boot without a battery, but just resets the bios everytime.

My thinking is that you have two problems: the battery and the graphics card.

My suggestion is to first have the battery sorted, then try booting without any overclocks. (CPU, GPU, RAM) and see if it remains stable.

If it does turn off, try switching out the GPU for another one. If the problem remains, try the GPU in another slot.

No signature found

17 hours ago, RobbinM said:

It surely can boot without a battery, but just resets the bios everytime.

My thinking is that you have two problems: the battery and the graphics card.

My suggestion is to first have the battery sorted, then try booting without any overclocks. (CPU, GPU, RAM) and see if it remains stable.

If it does turn off, try switching out the GPU for another one. If the problem remains, try the GPU in another slot.

I JUST swapped the battery with a new one. I can't imagine it's the GPU. At least I HOPE not because I replaced it 2 years ago. I had my first 1070 for 2 months before it got liquid damage (don't ask, it's embarrassing) so this is my second 1070 lol. I've had a couple of people at work suggest it's the power supply. I ran valley for 5 or 10 minutes at 4K the other day with no crashed. I can't force the system to crash, it just happens randomly. Part of me hopes it's the board so I can upgrade my system but at the same time to upgrade it's like $700 - $900. Because I'm stupid and didn't adopt DDR4 when I built :/ Should've just gone with X99. 

Ok, don't worry. We will continue troubleshooting.

Ignoring the fact that the GPU may be faulty, we will look at other options.

-Can you give me details of your power supply? If it has two or more +12v rails, a rail might be failing.

-Do you see any evidence of GPU sag?

-Can you try the other PCI-e slot for your GPU?

No signature found

5 hours ago, RobbinM said:

-Can you give me details of your power supply? If it has two or more +12v rails, a rail might be failing.

No obvious GPU sag, I think my PSU is an EVGA Supernova 650W G2. It's only about a year and a half old, 2 at most. 

Since replacing the CMOS battery I haven't had any issues but it's only been 24 hours so it's just a wait and see kind of thing. I don't want to troubleshoot too many things at once in case I somehow overlook something. If it goes down again I'll swap PCI slots. I swapped from the second from the top slot to the top slot maybe 4 months ago but I didn't have any issues until the random crashes that I was experiencing last week. 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:02 PM, RobbinM said:

UPDATE: New CMOS battery has been in since Tuesday? Monday? Idk I lose track of days. So far so good, no crashes.