Business laptop

Hello everyone,

I'll ask something once again, my dad needs a new laptop for work, and his boss looks like he doesn't know that much about it. all the listed laptops he selected were dual-core 7th gen i5's or i7's, for around 2000 euro's. I jumped in and am going to try and advice them for a different laptop.

requirements (partly set by me, parly by them)

• 6 cores 
  • w10 pro or hardware encryption
  • backlit keyboard
  • 16 gigs ram
  • touch screeen (if possible)
  • Kensington lock
  • somewhere between 13 and 15,6"
  • portable
  • not a gaming look

thanks in advance. btw, this is what I have collected yet

laptop voorbeeldconfiguraties.xlsx

Edited by LukeSavenije

What work does he need to get done on it?

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

Just now, pebble guy said:

What work does he need to get done on it?

mostly processing much data, but I didn't ask that specificly. I assume mostly excel

You should not need 6 cores for excel.
And does he need docking capabilities? 

CPU: 2x E5620 - GPU: 2x GTX660 - RAM: 64gb DDR3 ECC - Mobo: Z800 OEM - Storage:1TB WD Green - 256gb - Micron C400 250gb - 850 EVO - 512gb 850 PRO
Monitors: 3x HP ZR2440W - Keyboard: G710 MX Blue - Mouse: MX Master

Keep up the good tone and stay classyxD

Just now, pebble guy said:

You should not need 6 cores for excel.
And does he need docking capabilities? 

Excel can scale pretty well, but we're talking about a lot more data then normal. like big data big

as long as it has the needed ports (rj45, usb-a) it doesn't. He will go from customer to customer with it

Before purchasing any laptop, I would also be sure to look for things like build quality. Running Microsoft Suite will require very little besides the 16gb ram due to having multiple things open for reference and such. I have a Dell laptop and the right hinge broke, later my base cracked. I look into it and it appears that it's just something that happens apparently. Dell will not fix it, nor replace it. They even refused to tag it as manufacturer defect and said it was normal wear and tear. 

My little rant is over, just be sure to look for things like that as well. 

Just now, Poly LLC said:

hp spectre has all the requirements that you have. look at those 

with 6 cores? did I miss something?

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Before purchasing any laptop, I would also be sure to look for things like build quality. Running Microsoft Suite will require very little besides the 16gb ram due to having multiple things open for reference and such. I have a Dell laptop and the right hinge broke, later my base cracked. I look into it and it appears that it's just something that happens apparently. Dell will not fix it, nor replace it. They even refused to tag it as manufacturer defect and said it was normal wear and tear. 

My little rant is over, just be sure to look for things like that as well. 

I'll keep that in mind in general. Before I let them buy it, I'll check for any build quality and heat problems with the specific config

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'll keep that in mind in general. Before I let them buy it, I'll check for any build quality and heat problems with the specific config

We recently picked up HP ZBook 15v G5's, with the Thunderbolt G2 Dock, and the ones we got pretty much match the specs you're asking for. i7 6 cores (w/ HT) + 16GB RAM + NVME SSD's (I can't remember if they are 256GB or 512GB).

They were around ~$1800 CAD each (dock was another $400 CAD) - but keep in mind that's discount enterprise pricing, so your mileage may vary.

These are not ultra books. They're not super heavy, but they're definitely not thin and light.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

with 6 cores? did I miss something?

no you didn't, aparently, they only have 4 cores max. sorry about that

:^)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

We recently picked up HP ZBook 15v G5's, with the Thunderbolt G2 Dock, and the ones we got pretty much match the specs you're asking for. i7 6 cores (w/ HT) + 16GB RAM + NVME SSD's (I can't remember if they are 256GB or 512GB).

They were around ~$1800 CAD each (dock was another $400 CAD) - but keep in mind that's discount enterprise pricing, so your mileage may vary.

These are not ultra books. They're not super heavy, but they're definitely not thin and light.

definitly going to add that one. but his boss is going to buy them, so those enterprise prices do apply to him too. It should be thin and light enough

6 minutes ago, Poly LLC said:

no you didn't, aparently, they only have 4 cores max. sorry about that

don't worry. I actually saw that one, because his boss wanted to get the gen2 model, with a dualcore

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Any links of online stores?

As long as it's portable, let's say 5 hours, price isn't a big factor here, as long as the cost is justifiable.

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

portable

Give a range on weight. Some ppl think that 3kg is still portable while some think that 2kg is heavy

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Give a range on weight. Some ppl think that 3kg is still portable while some think that 2kg is heavy

well, let's say 3 kg is fine. they are moving by car.

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, let's say 3 kg is fine. they are moving by car.

Well you can actually choose between gaming/performance laptop and regular laptop/Ultrabook. Which one do you prefer?

BTW you haven't provide links of online stores

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Well you can actually choose between gaming/performance laptop and regular laptop/Ultrabook. Which one do you prefer?

BTW you haven't provide links of online stores

yeah, because of reasons it can't have a gaming look to it. So kind of a workstation/business look would be fine.

I'll leave some examples then

https://tweakers.net/categorie/496/laptops/producten/

https://www.lenovo.com/nl/nl/laptops/c/LAPTOPS?menu-id=Laptops_Ultrabooks

https://store.hp.com/NetherlandsStore/Merch/List.aspx?sel=NTB&ctrl=f

https://www.dell.com/nl-nl#

need any more?

16 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

definitly going to add that one. but his boss is going to buy them, so those enterprise prices do apply to him too. It should be thin and light enough

For the size of the laptop it's definitely not super heavy.

Alternatives would include a high specced Dell Precision or XPS model. Lenovo T series would also be good.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

For the size of the laptop it's definitely not super heavy.

Alternatives would include a high specced Dell Precision or XPS model. Lenovo T series would also be good.

are they better built than the essentials and ideapad series? otherwise they aren't making any chances. I broke one of each in about 5 years total

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

are they better built than the essentials and ideapad series? otherwise they aren't making any chances. I broke one of each in about 5 years total

The ZBook is built like a brick - really good quality. Same with the Lenovo T Series, they're nigh indestructible (closest you'll get to the golden days of IBM T series). XPS are also super high quality - Linus periodically reviews XPS models on LTT.

I've never used the high end Precision workstation laptops, so I can't say for sure there, but since these are the workhorse models, I imagine they are less flashy, but just as good (if not, better) quality compared to XPS.

If budget isn't a big concern:

Lenovo Thinkpad P52

Dell Precision 7530

HP Zbook 15 G5

Desktop specs:

Spoiler