Linux and Windows 10 Pro dual boot

For my new build I was thinking of dual booting between Linux and Windows 10 Pro, I'm unsure of the distro that I'd like to use. I'm familiar with Ubuntu, but I'm wondering what others have to say. My machine's main purpose is gaming; however, I've heard so many good things about Linux and wanted to give it a try. What kind of storage should I get for a dual boot? As always thank you for the replies.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

ssd, you can find much software to just dualboot on a single drive.

Okay, what size would you recommend? I know that with larger SSDs the price usually jumps up a bit.

1 minute ago, Large Uzi Vert said:

Okay, what size would you recommend? I know that with larger SSDs the price usually jumps up a bit.

well, mx500 and 860 evo are pretty cheap to get. 240+ would be enough, but a 500 gb is a nice upgrade, as they cost around 70-80 bucks for the best sata models

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, mx500 and 860 evo are pretty cheap to get. 240+ would be enough, but a 500 gb is a nice upgrade, as they cost around 70-80 bucks for the best sata models

Okay, thanks so much dude. You've been such a help, I'll keep everything in mind when looking for the rest of my parts.

1 minute ago, Large Uzi Vert said:

Okay, thanks so much dude. You've been such a help, I'll keep everything in mind when looking for the rest of my parts.

you're welcome. let me know when you need anything

A drive for each OS is somtetimes easier

120-240gb for Linux if your not a developer

500gb-1tb if you plan on storing a lot of games with windows

1 minute ago, jpenguin said:

A drive for each OS is somtetimes easier

120-240gb for Linux if your not a developer

500gb-1tb if you plan on storing a lot of games with windows

sometimes. true. that's why I run linux in a vm. but dual booting should work just fine.

I would recommend mageia or opensuse for starters.  Opensuse has a much larger community.  Mageia offers more desktops

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same dual-boot setup with Windows 10 Pro and Debian 9. Ubuntu 18.04LTS is good, too. Each OS runs on its own SSD but for Debian I have kept the /home partition on a separate HDD. This option is usually presented during install in Debian and Ubuntu GUI installers, if you are unfamiliar with doing it manually. I recommend installing Windows before Linux so that the GRUB boot loader installed with Linux will automatically pick up the Windows install and add it to the boot menu for easy selection.

I've personally found dual booting on the same drive to be problematic. if you must dual boot I recommend two separate drives of whatever size you think you need.

after their biannual updates, windows will usually affect the Linux partitions negatively for some reason. I've, on some occasions had my Linux partition corrupted and with have to reinstall.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's