Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Build Motherboard Selection Help!?!?!

 Share

I am finally building a desktop to replace my household laptop and as this is my first foray into hands on building a machine I wanted to get some general input on a few issues related to my build. My build specs thus far are as follows:

 

EVGA Supernova G3 750 PSU (delivered)

ASUS GTX 1080 (not yet ordered)

16 GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3000 (not ordered)

Phanteks Eclipse P300 Mid Tower Case (delivered) 

Ideally M.2 storage but most likely SATA SSD due to budget. 

 

My biggest items I want input on are processor selection and motherboard selection. The two processors I am debating between are the I5 8600k or Ryzen 2700X, i have run Intel on all my computers my whole life but the current reviews of the AMD lineup are pretty enticing and the pricing is attractive as well. Lastly, the selection and quantity or questionable reviews on motherboards is driving me up a wall. My main uses for this setup will be average gaming and running my home media network which is being constrained by using the super shitty interfaces of my Marantz unit...they make a great amp / video & sound processor but the interface is awful. My specs might be a bit overkill but I like shiny tech so...

 

I appreciate any assistance that they world can throw my way on this...I am not married to my current specs and I have not yet ordered everything so changes might be made depending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pern-Frog said:

My biggest items I want input on are processor selection and motherboard selection. The two processors I am debating between are the I5 8600k or Ryzen 2700X

What's your budget for the CPU + motherboard? 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pern-Frog said:

 

Ideally M.2 storage but most likely SATA SSD due to budget. 

 

Honestly you can find M.2 NVME storage for SSD prices right now due to sales. You can buy a 256 GB Western Digital NVME drive for $50. Now, I'm sure it's not the fastest nvme drive, but it's western digital... a well known and reputable drive making company. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

get a 2700, non X, and an aftermarket cooler, and OC the 2700 to something like 4.2ghz.

@Pern-Frog I strongly disagreee with this is you are doing overclocking. Power limit on a 2700 is way lower than the 2700x. This would seriosuly limit overclocking potential. I have a 2700x and ROG Crosshair VI Hero and it works great at 4.2 with some cores turboing at 4.3.

 

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Honestly you can find M.2 NVME storage for SSD prices right now due to sales. You can buy a 256 GB Western Digital NVME drive for $50. Now, I'm sure it's not the fastest nvme drive, but it's western digital... a well known and reputable drive making company. 

Like LTT pointed out in their recent build guide video, little to no benefit in the mainstream for NVME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

What's your budget for the CPU + motherboard? 

About $350 but bang for the buck and hardware longevity are important to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Honestly you can find M.2 NVME storage for SSD prices right now due to sales. You can buy a 256 GB Western Digital NVME drive for $50. Now, I'm sure it's not the fastest nvme drive, but it's western digital... a well known and reputable drive making company. 

I will do some more looking into pricing....WD, Samsung, and Crucial are the brands I've been shopping for storage.

 

Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Giiman95 said:

@Pern-Frog I strongly disagreee with this is you are doing overclocking. Power limit on a 2700 is way lower than the 2700x. This would seriosuly limit overclocking potential. I have a 2700x and ROG Crosshair VI Hero and it works great at 4.2 with some cores turboing at 4.3.

 

Like LTT pointed out in their recent build guide video, little to no benefit in the mainstream for NVME.

With the overclock on your 2700x what CPU temps are you getting under load? And are you running an AIO or an air cooler?

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pern-Frog said:

With the overclock on your 2700x what CPU temps are you getting under load? And are you running an AIO or an air cooler?

 

Thanks!

the 8600k is definitely not for longevity, and the 2700/x will get blown out by zen 2 next year, but if you had to pick 1, 2700x.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pern-Frog said:

About $350 but bang for the buck and hardware longevity are important to me. 

ryzen 5 2600 (160$) + good x470 mobo that should handle 8c (X470 ultra gaming) (130$) and a great cooler (u12s 60$)

 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8wLHzY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8wLHzY/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler  ($59.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $353.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-13 18:46 EST-0500

 

if you had some more cash, a u14s (10$ more) and a 2700 (100$ more) are good upgrades.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, xg32 said:

the 8600k is definitely not for longevity, and the 2700/x will get blown out by zen 2 next year, but if you had to pick 1, 2700x.

How about stepping up to the i5 9600....or would the cost benefit be marginal?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

ryzen 5 2600 (160$) + good x470 mobo that should handle 8c (X470 ultra gaming) (130$) and a great cooler (u12s 60$)

 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8wLHzY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8wLHzY/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler  ($59.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $353.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-13 18:46 EST-0500

 

if you had some more cash, a u14s (10$ more) and a 2700 (100$ more) are good upgrades.

 

Thanks for taking the time to send over the party list links!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Pern-Frog said:

With the overclock on your 2700x what CPU temps are you getting under load? And are you running an AIO or an air cooler?

 

Thanks!

I’m running at 240mm aio. At idle I hit 30 C and most I’ve ever seen at full load was 77 C. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×