Help in choosing what thermal paste and what can I use for cleaning old TIM

Yassassin

Hello LTTians,

I need help with choosing new thermal paste and the which way to apply it?

Let's get to first question, I need to clean my old TIM off my GTX 760, I'm in a dilemma between Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound and Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound.

This is my first time replacing TIM, so even though if I did a sloppy work, I don't wanna fry my GPU, so going for non conductive paste.

Question 2: As I'm a newbie in about these things, what should I use to clean TIM off the card in conjunction with Arctic Cleaning kit, I saw this one Kimtech Delicate Equipment Wiping Paper, Lint Free and Anti Static, White Color and SOBBY Microfibre Cleaning Cloth - 40 cm x 40 cm - 340 gsm

Please let me know what will be more ideal to get this job done between the above mentioned products.

Question 3: What method should I go while applying thermal paste good old rice gram (little pea) or straight line method, please lemme know what'll be more ideal in my case. If any thread regarding the thermal paste applying tutorial/how to in LTT, please post as a comment below.

P.S. Coffee filter papers aren't available in india for cheap, please kindly go to the above mentioned links and pick a suitable thing for me and staff(s) please move this thread to the appropriate forum sorry for the slack, thanks in advance.  

Arsenal of Hardware: Intel i7 6700k Processor | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MB | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16 GB 2400 MHz RAM | nVidia ZOTAC GeFore GTX 750 Ti 2GB (IK, I need to really upgrade this xD) | Phanteks P400S | 1*7500 RPM 2TB HDD WD Black (Have to really add an SSD for boot drive) | Seasonic M12II-850 Watt Bronze PSU | CoolerMaster Hyper 212x CPU Cooler | 24" 1080p BenQ GL2460 Monitor | Circle Gaming Keyboard Adroit X 7CLogitech G402 Gaming Mouse | HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset | Redgear Wireless Gamepad

I mean, the difference will pretty much be 1 degree in which thermal paste you get (as long as it is from one of the main brands) and how you apply it. The simple pea dot method works great, and as for cleaning, just some Isopropyl alcohol and toilet paper

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

If you didn't by it already, don't waste your money with Arctic Cleaning Kit , it's basically limonene and soy bean oil (for the articlean 1) and water, ethanol and propanol, the last two being  light solvents .. for the articlean 2 ...

You can clean the thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol, sanitary alcohol , acetone, vodka (because it has a high amount of alcohol). Just put a few drops on a soft paper towel or cotton swabs and you're done. LCD cleaning solutions also work, because they're mostly isopropyl alcohol (around 70%) and the rest is water and rarely they add some light perfume. You get the same results as using that kit.

Careful when whiping the surfaces so you won't accidentally break off tiny surface mounted components like capacitors or resistors, around the actual gpu die.

You can remove paste even with any other light solvents as long as you clean the surface afterwards (for example gasoline, lighter fluid, WD40) .. just make sure any solvent is cleaned off the surface.

Unless you go for a really expensive paste, the difference between pastes are of 1-2 degrees celsius. MX-4 is already quite good enough, no need to stress about it.

i generally use the pea method, but a bit bigger. If the die is kinda rectangular, maybe put two blobs ... don't stress too much about how much you put, in real world it kind of makes little difference if you put too much or just right, but it can be bad if you put too little. I'd suggest not spreading it manually, but even if you do, it won't be the end of the world.

Paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol will do the trick for cleaning, personally I like thermal grizzly kryonaut as its not conductive and has great thermal conductivity but really either of the ones you mentioned should work great as well

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W