My CoolerMaster GX 750W Bronze

Varnenchik
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

For a single GTX1080 and a R7 1700X you really only need about A 500W PSU though. If overclocking, a 600-650W would do. 

Basically, get a high quality lower wattage PSU and you'll be fine.

- Corsair TXM

- Corsair RMx

- Cooler Master V

- Bitfenix Whisper

- Seasonic Focus Gold

- EVGA G2/G3

Etc.

Greetings,

I'd like to consult with you all about the PSU in my gaming rig, that being the CoolerMaster GX 750W Bronze. An employee at the company from where I usually purchase my components informed me that this particular model often suffers malfunctions. Don't know if he was just trying to talk me into buying but I've been considering an upgrade. With how quickly video game graphics are improving I'll have to overclock before long. The power company in my area often performs maintenance without giving notice in advance so irregular electric currents are relatively common. Warranty for most of my components has nearly expired and I don't want to risk it. 

Is an upgrade needed and if yes, what would be a reliable choice within the 200€/300$ price range? GPU is GTX 1080, CPU is r7 1700x. 

Don't think it's the storm, must be the old one. On coolermaster's website the model is specified as RS-750-ACAA-D3. 

okay, it's the old one. Where are you located?

btw, quote me next time, so I can get a notification

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

okay, it's the old one. Where are you located?

btw, quote me next time, so I can get a notification

Thanks for the tip, I'm new here. Located in Bulgaria. 

1 minute ago, Varnenchik said:

Thanks for the tip, I'm new here. Located in Bulgaria. 

I'll use german pricing then, because you're in the european union, so prices should be about the same. give me a while...

edit: btw, how long should it last?

Edited by LukeSavenije

For a single GTX1080 and a R7 1700X you really only need about A 500W PSU though. If overclocking, a 600-650W would do. 

Basically, get a high quality lower wattage PSU and you'll be fine.

- Corsair TXM

- Corsair RMx

- Cooler Master V

- Bitfenix Whisper

- Seasonic Focus Gold

- EVGA G2/G3

Etc.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'll use german pricing then, because you're in the european union, so prices should be about the same. give me a while...

edit: btw, how long should it last?

Ten years would be ideal but what with voltage problems, I'd hope to get at least five years out of it. 

3 minutes ago, Varnenchik said:

Ten years would be ideal but what with voltage problems, I'd hope to get at least five years out of it. 

PSUs shouldn't be used beyond the 7 year mark imo. Low quality PSUs even less so. There is some amount of degradation in PSUs over time.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

well, most psu's last at least 5 years for tier c. I would say get a tier a or s on the list down here

18 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

PSUs shouldn't be used beyond the 7 year mark imo. Low quality PSUs even less so. There is some amount of degradation in PSUs over time.

That's useful to know, thank you.

I have my eyes set on Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650W Gold at the moment. It's in tier 2/A and the price suits my budget perfectly, but I'm still open to recommendations if anyone can suggest something better at the same price. 

1 hour ago, Varnenchik said:

That's useful to know, thank you.

I have my eyes set on Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650W Gold at the moment. It's in tier 2/A and the price suits my budget perfectly, but I'm still open to recommendations if anyone can suggest something better at the same price. 

well, supernova g2, straight power 11, txm, rmx, whisper, formula gold, supernova p2. those are great too

I'm more of a be quiet type … 750W for around 150 euro's and your good to go ^^