can you mix cables from modular power supplies?

Jstagzsr

current system:
asus z97 deluxe mobo
intel i7 4790k @4.48ghz watercooled
32gb ripjaws ddr3 1866,hz
dual ati rx580's 8gb

current PSU: silverstone 80+silver 700 watt
other PSU : evga 80+bronze 750 watt

so i had cables left over from my other build in the box and i used a cord from the evga on the silverstone psu to add in another hard drive..
i also added in a front led fan, and i switched the mobo plugs that i used for the 2 side fans.. and i put vape juice (lol, seriously) in the socket that the power button glides in and out of because it would stick and shut down my pc every time i turned it on unless i very lightly pushed the button.. (yes, it worked to lube it up)..and i did a bunch of different cable management to make it a little cleaner.. so i get it all put back together and i push the power button and all the lights flash on real quick then the whole system shuts down, but my keyboard lights would still be on.. and nothing would do anything at all until i unplugge dit and let the power drain from the system and turn it on again and the same thing would happen.. over and over again, probably 30 times of trying it with different combinations of undoing things i JUST did, i figured out it was the psu cable from the other psu.. once i removed that cable and re-rewired everything all over again and had to remove my dvd-r drive, now the system is working perfect again.. did a little research and realized that some companies do completely different layouts for their cables..

what the french, toast!!!!!!! thank god i didnt fry my board!!!!!!!! and thank god my board knows to shut down before anything destroys itself..

so my question is this, do all companies have different layouts? is there no standard for layouts on psu cables??? thats so ridiculous.. everyone always has extra cables left over.. why did they make it so you CANT use your extra cables on the next build???

i guess this is more me complaining than actually asking a question. lol..

Sometimes.... yes.... most of the time... no.

I'd only try it with same branded power supplies cables and even then I'd check with a multimeter. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Sometimes.... yes.... most of the time... no.

I'd only try it with same branded power supplies cables and even then I'd check with a multimeter. 

do they switch the layout within the same brand on different models?

7 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

current PSU: silverstone 80+silver 700 watt
other PSU : evga 80+bronze 750 watt

so my question is this, do all companies have different layouts? is there no standard for layouts on psu cables??? thats so ridiculous.. everyone always has extra cables left over.. why did they make it so you CANT use your extra cables on the next build???

i guess this is more me complaining than actually asking a question. lol..

Extentions are standard, the cable ends on the PSU side are NOT.

4 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

if it fits, yes

its just a wire inside, nothing fancy

*Facepalm*

Just because they fit, that does mean that they are wired up the same way. One brand may have 12V where another has GND. That won't work. 

Even if it does fit another place on the same PSU, that might also not be compatible. I know some Thernaltake PSUs have that issue. You can plug in some cables where you're not supposed to. 

:)

7 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

do they switch the layout within the same brand on different models?

I'm unsure, that's why I'd check with the manufacturer or with a multimeter. :)

13 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

Most companies use their own layout. Some exceptions, though. On a model by model basis, some are compatible with PSUs from other brands. For example, the BitFenix Whisper M uses the same pinout as Corsair Type 4. That's what you find on Corsair's newer PSUs. I also think some EVGA branded PSUs and SF might use the same pinouts. 

There is no reason for the companies to change their layouts. If someone kills their system because they used an incompatible cable, that's 100% the user's fault, for not doing any research. 

:)

18 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

if it fits, yes

No. Let's think about a 6 pin connector that has only has ground and 12V in it.. there's 2^6 different combinations that that can be alone.

36 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

Probably not but you can test them to see if they're the same or compatible

no warranty expressed nor implied.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

if it fits, yes

Some body ban this guy.