Thinking about a new phone... Anyone have thoughts?

TubsAlwaysWins

Ive been relatively happy with my iPhone 6s for the last 2.5-3ish years. Recently its just gotten sluggish kinda. I just replaced the battery like 6 months ago too.

Im trying to think if I should get a new phone, or just stick with the 6s for another 6-12 months. I am also thinking about moving over to android (Im pretty ready to move away from Apple again), but im not really sure since I havent been keeping up with the phone market. 

Here are the things I like about my iPhone, or I find very convenient:

iMessage and WiFi calling - I live in an area without alot of service, and that helps me out all the time

Facetime - gotta talk to my parents somehow I guess

Apple Watch - I bought a series 3 like 5 months ago, and its been kinda helpful. Biggest thing is I just got it which makes moving kinda hard

If I do get something, im thinking either a iPhone Xs or maybe a Galaxy S8 or S9. Anyone have any thoughts? I dont have a ton of money, but I can make payments or something if I need to. I am 100% open to brands like OnePlus, I just dont know what is good on the market. (I have AT&T if that means anything)

A headphone jack would be a solid plus since I do Audio for my work. I dont need alot of storage. All I use my phone for is Spotify (Most important here), Snapchat, Messenger, work, and memes. A big battery is a solid plus, as I hate carrying chargers. 

Thank you guys, and happy holidays!

Breaking things 1 day at a time

8 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Ive been relatively happy with my iPhone 6s for the last 2.5-3ish years. Recently its just gotten sluggish kinda. I just replaced the battery like 6 months ago too.

Im trying to think if I should get a new phone, or just stick with the 6s for another 6-12 months. I am also thinking about moving over to android (Im pretty ready to move away from Apple again), but im not really sure since I havent been keeping up with the phone market. 

Here are the things I like about my iPhone, or I find very convenient:

iMessage and WiFi calling - I live in an area without alot of service, and that helps me out all the time

Facetime - gotta talk to my parents somehow I guess

Apple Watch - I bought a series 3 like 5 months ago, and its been kinda helpful. Biggest thing is I just got it which makes moving kinda hard

If I do get something, im thinking either a iPhone Xs or maybe a Galaxy S8 or S9. Anyone have any thoughts? I dont have a ton of money, but I can make payments or something if I need to. I am 100% open to brands like OnePlus, I just dont know what is good on the market. (I have AT&T if that means anything)

A headphone jack would be a solid plus since I do Audio for my work. I dont need alot of storage. All I use my phone for is Spotify (Most important here), Snapchat, Messenger, work, and memes. A big battery is a solid plus, as I hate carrying chargers. 

Thank you guys, and happy holidays!

I'd say stick with the iPhone, but be open to the XR if you're happy with a single rear camera.  As someone who owns an XS and has tried the XR, I'd say the screen on the XR is close enough that you might not care.

The main thing to me is the Apple Watch.  It's widely considered the best smartwatch on the market... and I'll be blunt, the alternatives for Android users aren't that great.  There's the Versa if you're mostly fitness-focused, the Galaxy Watch (but mainly if you have a Samsung phone), and then there's a lot of Wear OS devices that focus more on looking like conventional watches than being good smartwatches.  I think Wear OS is fine, but "fine" versus the Apple Watch's "genuinely good" isn't a competition.

Then there's the whole FaceTime and iMessage things... if you'd rather not talk to people through third-party messaging apps or your folks only really know how to use FaceTime, stick to the iPhone.  Yeah, there's a degree of lock-in happening, but there is also a beauty to knowing you don't have to remind your parents to launch Facebook Messenger or Skype just to say hello.

57 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'd say stick with the iPhone, but be open to the XR if you're happy with a single rear camera.  As someone who owns an XS and has tried the XR, I'd say the screen on the XR is close enough that you might not care.

The main thing to me is the Apple Watch.  It's widely considered the best smartwatch on the market... and I'll be blunt, the alternatives for Android users aren't that great.  There's the Versa if you're mostly fitness-focused, the Galaxy Watch (but mainly if you have a Samsung phone), and then there's a lot of Wear OS devices that focus more on looking like conventional watches than being good smartwatches.  I think Wear OS is fine, but "fine" versus the Apple Watch's "genuinely good" isn't a competition.

Then there's the whole FaceTime and iMessage things... if you'd rather not talk to people through third-party messaging apps or your folks only really know how to use FaceTime, stick to the iPhone.  Yeah, there's a degree of lock-in happening, but there is also a beauty to knowing you don't have to remind your parents to launch Facebook Messenger or Skype just to say hello.

Ok. i think I might try and stick out my 6s for a bit and see if I can change any settings to help. As for the XS vs XR, ive never owned or used a phone with two cameras. I could see it being kind of nice, as I dont plan to buy a camera and sometimes I like taking photos. I will also have to go check out the used market, and see what people have put up

1 hour ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Ok. i think I might try and stick out my 6s for a bit and see if I can change any settings to help. As for the XS vs XR, ive never owned or used a phone with two cameras. I could see it being kind of nice, as I dont plan to buy a camera and sometimes I like taking photos. I will also have to go check out the used market, and see what people have put up

You'd likely be happy with the XR then.  The XS' dual camera system is great, but it's really best if you either tend to take a lot of long-distance photos (say, concerts and landmarks) or you're an enthusiast who wants tight macro and portrait shots.  The XR is superb for everyone else... and that's really most people!

2 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

You might want to try a factory reset and set the phone up completely from scratch. That might help in speeding it up again. Not a garantuee though

23 hours ago, Commodus said:

You'd likely be happy with the XR then.  The XS' dual camera system is great, but it's really best if you either tend to take a lot of long-distance photos (say, concerts and landmarks) or you're an enthusiast who wants tight macro and portrait shots.  The XR is superb for everyone else... and that's really most people!

Good to know. Ill go take a look at one!

21 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

You might want to try a factory reset and set the phone up completely from scratch. That might help in speeding it up again. Not a garantuee though

Yeah I might try that. I just dont want to loose like 2GB of memes I have stored on it lol