Motherboard at 120 degrees and blue screened twice

Danelk62

So my friend just recently bought a new RTX 2070 so that he can play VR. When it was all installed, we got the VR set up and was working all just fine. When I went to open Speccy to see the temperature of the components in the system they were not looking too bad but when I realised the motherboard was at 120 degrees I started to panic a bit. But I saw that the system was fine and stable so I thought that maybe it is just a bug with Speccy and there is nothing to worry about. A week later I get a call from my friend saying that his motherboard heated a bit over 120 degrees then the screen went purple with lines and blue screened. Does anyone know what the problem would be and why the motherboard is heating up so much and blue screening? Would buying an intake fan for his computer help much or no?

Details of the computer:

Intel Core i7 7700

Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070

Asus b250g gaming motherboard

HTC VIVE headset

16gb installed memory.

1 exhaust fan and one fan on the CPU cooler heatsink (Coolermaster 212x)

VRM Mosfets probably got so hot they triggerd OTP and shut down the computer. more airflow to the socket area will probably fix it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

well when it hit 120 it shut down and turned of the computer when playing VR it was more 111 degrees. So with more airflow putting an intake fan will help is what you're saying?

4 minutes ago, Danelk62 said:

well when it hit 120 it shut down and turned of the computer when playing VR it was more 111 degrees. So with more airflow putting an intake fan will help is what you're saying?

and yes sorry celsius 

1 minute ago, wojtepanik said:

put some high airflow fan pointing on the motherboard, open the case

is there a recommended fan that he should get.

1 minute ago, Danelk62 said:

is there a recommended fan that he should get.

is the Corsair AF120 fan good?

5 minutes ago, Danelk62 said:

is the Corsair AF120 fan good?

That'll work fine.  How many fans can you friend's computer case support?  Wouldn't be a bad idea have two intakes, and one exhaust if you can swing it.  

Is your friend over clocking anything on the system?

4 minutes ago, pstarlord said:

That'll work fine.  How many fans can you friend's computer case support?  Wouldn't be a bad idea have two intakes, and one exhaust if you can swing it.  

Is your friend over clocking anything on the system?

He is not overclocking he is just playing VR games because his computer cannot overclock. The case he has is a Thermaltake View 21 TG dual tempered glass mid-tower ATX case. So it can support 2 exhaust and I don't know about the front but I am guessing 2. So it would be best to put a fan on top where the motherboard is or 2 intake fans.

you just have to move more air through the case temporarly just duct tape a fan to point at vrm

1 minute ago, wojtepanik said:

you just have to move more air through the case temporarly just duct tape a fan to point at vrm

ok thanks i will definitely do that 

and sorry if I am annoying but do you mean duck tape a computer fan or just a normal fan.

19 minutes ago, Danelk62 said:

and sorry if I am annoying but do you mean duck tape a computer fan or just a normal fan.

You can try to open the case and point any fan at the motherboard. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry VERY late reply i just put got a fan that plugs into the computer and it is still over heating

does anyone know what i could do to fix this issue