Building a 4P system

I think the postman has it in for me - evil eye...

Today I got all my memory, the cases from Spotswood came in, another PSU and... another video card. :)

Building the case tonight. Also working on getting parts ready for the musky mod on my Hyper 212's. Will post up some pics tomorrow then need to start some actual build logs.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Oooo! I cant wait to see it whaler! 

And then you realize your shoes are filled with peanut butter, what then?! >:L

I think the postman has it in for me - evil eye...

Today I got all my memory, the cases from Spotswood came in, another PSU and... another video card. :)

Building the case tonight. Also working on getting parts ready for the musky mod on my Hyper 212's. Will post up some pics tomorrow then need to start some actual build logs.

This should be interesting.

Last pix - nice tease... will be working on official build log now that I have everything here and work to get this puppy up and running. More pix will be in the build log...

post-765-0-30997700-1368240325_thumb.jpg

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

cant wait to see it finished :D

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

hey guys what do you think about a 4p server with  4 intel xeon E7440 they are quad core 2.4ghz . think i can get some decent ppd with a server with these. i would love some 12 core opterons but its to far out of my current budget for now.

I wonder - do you already have these chips? If so, rock on. :) There is a reason though the Opteron's are so much more popular. Typically you can find them for much cheaper then the equivalent Xeon on say EBay, and usually the mobo's are cheaper as well. Also, I believe AMD have a slight lead over Intel when is comes to raw computational numbers, like Folding, something else that makes them popular.

I wonder - do you already have these chips? If so, rock on. :) There is a reason though the Opteron's are so much more popular. Typically you can find them for much cheaper then the equivalent Xeon on say EBay, and usually the mobo's are cheaper as well. Also, I believe AMD have a slight lead over Intel when is comes to raw computational numbers, like Folding, something else that makes them popular.

no i dont but i am searching and trying to build a decent folding rig without backing the bank.  

I want this sort of power in my life.

How much? I buy!

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

no i dont but i am searching and trying to build a decent folding rig without backing the bank.  

Head over to the [H]ard forum, in the Distributed Computing section they have a For Sale section for folding. Take a look. I made an ID and if contacting anyone, make sure you include a link to your active folding ID on say extreme:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=630573

Which will help prove you are a folder and will use the gear for folding. Just watch the board, you will see various parts for sale and occasionally whole 2P and 4P systems come up for sale.

Be nice and ask if they sell to fellow folders. Don't be disappointed if some don't - some of them only deal with other [H]ard members.

I want this sort of power in my life.

How much? I buy!

All for the low price of like... $1,500 :)

All for the low price of like... $1,500 :)

I could probably justify that.... the mobo won't fit ATX will it?

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I could probably justify that.... the mobo won't fit ATX will it?

ATX?? not even close. Most are SWTX and you need to get either a very expensive SperMicro case or go for a tech station like i did... I think there may be one or two commercial cases available, but still need to be modded, and there is some talk about issues with heat sinks and the board being vertical. If using the musky mod to attach the Hyper 212's to a board, that can be a lot of weight. Better to run it horizontal.

Not even caselabs?

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Not even caselabs?

I have taken a quick look an doesn't look like anything. Most of their cases are about space for water cooling and such, not about massive motherboards. They typically fit ATX, EATX and even XL-ATX, but not SWTX which is VERY different. Even their tech stations wouldn't fit. And honestly - Folding is about cramming as much power as you can for the cheapest price - to get the best PPD per dollar. CaseLabs is simply WAY to expensive.

If you check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_form_factor

It has numerous board sizes listed - if you notice, WTX is the largest they have represented - and SWTX is even larger.Also, the I/O on SWTX isn't on the end, like common boards, but more to the middle, hence if you are using a case, a custom one is required typically.