Acer Aspire v15 Downclocking Itself During Gaming

Sean The Mahn

Hello,

Recently, my Acer Aspire's i7-7700HQ has been down clocking itself to 0.8 GHz during gaming tasks. The only thing that has changed was that I replaced the thermal compound on the CPU and GPU. I have, thus far with guidance from other people who had similar troubles with the same CPU, tried...

-Undervolting the CPU, thinking it was a thermals issue.

-Reinstalling Windows 10

-Restoring the default power plans of the computer, and selected High Performance. (The High Performance power plan somehow disappeared, leaving only the Balanced plan)

I have attempted to follow multiple solutions related to disabling "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology" in the BIOS, however the BIOS doesn't present that option.

Below is an IXTU graph with Package Temperature, CPU Utilization, Max Core Frequency, and Thermal Throttling.

Capture.PNG.3d1a9385d3599559c64f9629f2720168.PNG

Its worth noting that before the troubles started, according to Overwatch, the GPU would get up to 90C, with the CPU being within similar temperatures. 

I was listening to the WAN show while searching for solutions when Luke said "ask in the forum". And thus here I am, asking in the forum.

What thermal compound did you use?

And is it possible that you reassembled something incorrectly after applying?

Edited by AlphonseK

38 minutes ago, AlphonseK said:

What thermal compond did you use?

And is it possible that you reassembled something incorrectly after applying?

I used ARCTIC MX-4 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045JCFLY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I double checked everything when I reassembled it, and made sure I put all the screws in my parts tray back where I found them. I'm certain that everything is assembled correctly.

Seems like a lot of people are having issues with this kind of "preemptive thermal throttling".

To my limited knowledge, as far as laptops go, there's not a whole lot you can do for better temps, besides what you've already done, or taking even more drastic steps.

I've seen reports that liquid metal cooling dropped temps in laptops by 10c-20c, although it's NOT easy and very risky, AND you have to clean and reapply the liquid metal periodically (9-18 months) because it will dry out.

I would try reapplying your thermal paste again and be extra careful that you do everything correctly, look up video how to's just to be sure (especially the amount of thermal paste) and if that turns up nil then maybe consider liquid metal?

On 12/8/2018 at 12:01 PM, AlphonseK said:

Seems like a lot of people are having issues with this kind of "preemptive thermal throttling".

To my limited knowledge, as far as laptops go, there's not a whole lot you can do for better temps, besides what you've already done, or taking even more drastic steps.

I've seen reports that liquid metal cooling dropped temps in laptops by 10c-20c, although it's NOT easy and very risky, AND you have to clean and reapply the liquid metal periodically (9-18 months) because it will dry out.

I would try reapplying your thermal paste again and be extra careful that you do everything correctly, look up video how to's just to be sure (especially the amount of thermal paste) and if that turns up nil then maybe consider liquid metal?

Reapplied the thermal paste, even found a setting that ramps that boosts the fan speed, none of it worked. I think I might cave and take it to Micro Center and see what they come up with, because at this point I'm stumped.