Any way to use gtx1060 drivers with windows vista?

overther

After watching Linus'es video about vista I decided to install them on my system and use them as my only os for a week or so, just for the lolz. The problem is that my gpu is the gtx 1060 which doesnt have drives for vista and using them without drivers isnt the best idea.... Any way to install them?

i don't think there is a way. vista has been unsupported for a while now i believe. so i wouldn't recommend it for a daily system anyway because it doesn't get security updates anymore. 

She/Her

12 minutes ago, overther said:

After watching Linus'es video about vista I decided to install them on my system and use them as my only os for a week or so, just for the lolz. The problem is that my gpu is the gtx 1060 which doesnt have drives for vista and using them without drivers isnt the best idea.... Any way to install them?

Linus explicitly said NOT to use Vista as a daily driver OS, because it isn't supported anymore since last year and if it supports anything above Fermi cards (GTX 400 & 500 series) i'd be surprised.

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

Try to install win7 drivers. Why not, should work. Basically the same system core.

15 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Try to install win7 drivers. Why not, should work. Basically the same system core.

Cool I'll try it

32 minutes ago, ChatDaw said:

Linus explicitly said NOT to use Vista as a daily driver OS, because it isn't supported anymore since last year and if it supports anything above Fermi cards (GTX 400 & 500 series) i'd be surprised.

I'm not going to use them for ever, just for a week or so, like a test or something. I want to try the 64 bit version of xp after this, but I think that I'll have waaaaay more issues with my hardware ?

1 hour ago, overther said:

Cool I'll try it

I'm not going to use them for ever, just for a week or so, like a test or something. I want to try the 64 bit version of xp after this, but I think that I'll have waaaaay more issues with my hardware ?

I don't think you will have more issues besides a working GPU driver, but yeah, i hope you don't plan to use this long term :P

Just tag @ChatDaw so I can answer as fast as possible.

I think you can extract the inf driver file from the installer package for Windows 7 and then install it manually.

@CaptainChaos might have done it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Well it seems that I have some more troubledhooting to do before the gpu. Vista's installation program refuses to start on kaby lake so I'll have to fix this first  :/

7 hours ago, overther said:

Well it seems that I have some more troubledhooting to do before the gpu. Vista's installation program refuses to start on kaby lake so I'll have to fix this first  :/

What are you installing it from: DVD or USB? If USB, it could be a simple USB 3.0 driver issue which you'd fix by adding the USB 3 driver to the installer before running it.

Also, could UEFI vs non-UEFI be doing something?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

What are you installing it from: DVD or USB? If USB, it could be a simple USB 3.0 driver issue which you'd fix by adding the USB 3 driver to the installer before running it.

Also, could UEFI vs non-UEFI be doing something?

I've tried both a usb 3 and 2 port. So far I've only managed to reach the window that you choose the ssd-hdd but I get a missing driver issue. Apparently, based on what I read online, windows 7 and prior versions arent supported by intels newst cpus, ther is a fix for win 7, but nothing for vista.

I'll try installing them on an older laptop that I have and then move the hdd to the desktop, it could probably work,  last time I did something simular my desktop booted straight to win 7, which was the os I had in the laptop I took the hdd from, so I hope that the same will happen with vista.

6 hours ago, overther said:

I've tried both a usb 3 and 2 port. So far I've only managed to reach the window that you choose the ssd-hdd but I get a missing driver issue. Apparently, based on what I read online, windows 7 and prior versions arent supported by intels newst cpus, ther is a fix for win 7, but nothing for vista.

I'll try installing them on an older laptop that I have and then move the hdd to the desktop, it could probably work,  last time I did something simular my desktop booted straight to win 7, which was the os I had in the laptop I took the hdd from, so I hope that the same will happen with vista.

The missing driver notice is common when people are trying to install Windows 7 on newer system, and is caused by not having a USB 3 driver slip-streamed into the Windows installer.

There are various ways to add a USB 3 driver to a Windows installer. The easiest way is with one of the tools released by motherboard manufacturers. One that seems to work for everybody with Windows 7 is MSI Smart Tool. Maybe MSI Smart Tool will also work with Windows Vista

See this post for details:

If it doesn't work with the Windows Vista installer, then there are ways to manually add the USB 3 driver to the installer that you can look up. They include slip-streaming it to the installer before running it so that it's a native part of the installer, and I think also adding it to the USB stick on its own, and then loading it from the Windows installer after it's launched.

You can also install Windows by using a PS/2 keyboard and / or mouse, like homeap5 mentioned - though, that won't help with loading the installer from USB.

Making a Windows installer DVD and running from it will also bypass the missing USB driver issue.

Let us know how it goes.