Spectrum and voip

Tony at Innovative

I live in south texas and run into an issue with spectrum and voip , right now in my area spectrum is the only competitor to get gig speed. my issue is for the speed you have to get this combo modem and then seperate wifi router. and the whole company doesn't know how to script them. its been 5 days with a service call for each day and one day i got them a tech to script it and i removed the second wifi/router part and just had it directly to my peplink . we are using this service for VOIP . they seem to not be able to turn of SIP ALG, but ...  i've been only accomplish this once , and got the speed i needed to run all the phones and have perfect calling no latency. the next day by noon the client upgraded the gig speed and services dropped to 150mb 'ish . what can you guys recommend to remove their equipment and just install a third party  modem/router . I don't want spectrum to have any control over this at all. I can't even find the damn pictures on google search. according to spectrum installers a lot of clients are complaining. 

9 hours ago, Tony at Innovative said:

I live in south texas and run into an issue with spectrum and voip , right now in my area spectrum is the only competitor to get gig speed. my issue is for the speed you have to get this combo modem and then seperate wifi router. and the whole company doesn't know how to script them. its been 5 days with a service call for each day and one day i got them a tech to script it and i removed the second wifi/router part and just had it directly to my peplink . we are using this service for VOIP . they seem to not be able to turn of SIP ALG, but ...  i've been only accomplish this once , and got the speed i needed to run all the phones and have perfect calling no latency. the next day by noon the client upgraded the gig speed and services dropped to 150mb 'ish . what can you guys recommend to remove their equipment and just install a third party  modem/router . I don't want spectrum to have any control over this at all. I can't even find the damn pictures on google search. according to spectrum installers a lot of clients are complaining. 

I dont have experience with Spectrum but I have used Comcast's phone service. To my understanding the service cable providers provide is not traditional VoIP, at least from what I read. The challenge with replacing Spectrum's equipment is that you need a emta which is the digital voice modem, some providers provide is emta gateway which is the emta/modem/router. The issue is, they might only support X model of emta. With Comcast you can easily buy a standard cable modem, but Emta's are a paid in the dick to get retail and working. Comcast has very few they "Support", and using an unsupported one means your phone service will no longer function. 

As it stands as well, there are no retail Docsis 3.1 (Needed for Gigabit)  emat's out right now, they are still in the middle of the testing phase, at least for Comcast. You could try using spectrum's emta and a separate modem for internet, I know Comcast allows this practice, not sure if spectrum does. Besides that your kinda suck with the shit box they gave you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.