CPU and Motherboard Combo

First I've gotta say I'm a pretty big Asus fan, so would love to hear the opinions on which combo to go with for them but i'm open to switching brands if its worth it for what i need it for. So right now i currently have the i7 7700K Kaby Lake Quad Core Processor and the ASUS Maximus IX Code 1151 motherboard. Now I don't do a whole lot of gaming which I feel I should have done a bit more research what building this computer. I mainly use the computer video editing, watching online tutorials or Youtube, getting into Coding HTML, JavaScript ect. I'm running two 34" 2K Ultrawide LG monitors with a ASUS 1080 Graphics card. Im leaning towards ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe motherboard and Intel i9-7940X Skylake processor. I was also looking at the i9-9900K Coffe Lake processor. From what I'm reading, the Z370 boards and i9-9900K are more focuses for gaming and the X299 with its 2066pin and the X Series processor, i9-7940X, will be better for multitasking which seems to be what i'm mainly doing which makes me lean towards the X series motherboard and processor. Am I on the right track? Which of these 2 options do you think it better for me or is there another combo you think that I would benefit more from?

PS: I understand there is a i9-7980XE but that;s a bit much money wise haha

i9 9900k or Ryzen 7 2700x is what you generally want.

Video editing, especially with Adobe products, struggles to leverage tons of cores.  The high end mainstream parts can perform better due to higher clocks.

More than 8 cores is only really useful for things like 3D rendering.