Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC will not boot and when turned on fans ramp up to 100% and then ramp down

ASWprime
 Share

I'm putting together this PC for my girlfriend and it is, as the title says, powering on, not displaying/booting, and every fan ramping to 100 and then to normal over and over. I've already tried:

- Re-seating the RAM

- Using different RAM

- Clearing the CMOS

- Using on-board and graphics card outputs

 

If you have any insight please let me know and I'll buy you a drink if we ever meet.

 

Specs of build:

i7 3770

2x4GB NANYA ddr3 memory scavanged from a dell pc

RX 580 4GB

Corsair 600x PSU

MSI B75A-IE35 mobo

Samsung 860 Pro 512GB

WD red 2TB drive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unplug everything except for CPU power, 24 pin power, a keyboard and monitor cable to the on board graphics. 

 

Remove the GPU from the board. Use 1 stick of memory, usually in the 2nd slot (read the manual.)

 

Reset the CMOS..... correctly. 

 

Start the computer up. Should go to bios. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Unplug everything except for CPU power, 24 pin power, a keyboard and monitor cable to the on board graphics. 

 

Remove the GPU from the board. Use 1 stick of memory, usually in the 2nd slot (read the manual.)

 

Reset the CMOS..... correctly. 

 

Start the computer up. Should go to bios. 

Fans and USB headers too? Also, when I say cleared the CMOS I took out the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ASWprime said:

Fans and USB headers too? Also, when I say cleared the CMOS I took out the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Leave the CPU fan connected, remove the USB headers.

 

Your board probably has a "clear CMOS" header that has two pins. Unplug the machine, turn the power supply off, then hold the power button for a few seconds, then touch something metal to the two pins for 10 seconds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Leave the CPU fan connected, remove the USB headers.

 

Your board probably has a "clear CMOS" header that has two pins. Unplug the machine, turn the power supply off, then hold the power button for a few seconds, then touch something metal to the two pins for 10 seconds.

Alright, that almost worked. The screen did display with a memory changed message but then the system shut off, powered back on tge screen flashed a few times and looked like it had a signal but the system shut off again and now its back to nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, ASWprime said:

Alright, that almost worked. The screen did display with a memory changed message but then the system shut off, powered back on tge screen flashed a few times and looked like it had a signal but the system shut off again and now its back to nothing.

Hmmmmm.... that's shitty. At this point something is broken. The easiest thing to try is the ram. Try all the different sticks you have one at a time. (Clear the CMOS every time.) I've had this issue with ram before, where the computer would shut off (or freeze) before it got to the bios. If it's not the ram, then it may be the power supply, or even the CPU. You could try reseating the CPU (take it out, put it back in). If you have a spare power supply or spare CPU that matches the board, try those. 

 

Sorry :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try using different psu, if it's still the same you've narrowed the issue to cpu or mobo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Hmmmmm.... that's shitty. At this point something is broken. The easiest thing to try is the ram. Try all the different sticks you have one at a time. (Clear the CMOS every time.) I've had this issue with ram before, where the computer would shut off (or freeze) before it got to the bios. If it's not the ram, then it may be the power supply, or even the CPU. You could try reseating the CPU (take it out, put it back in). If you have a spare power supply or spare CPU that matches the board, try those. 

 

Sorry :( 

Well, I did buy this motherboard from a chinese retailer on ebay. They had good legit-looking reviews and some saying that specifically 3770s worked. But that's what I get, its looking more and more like a mobo problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's weird to say which processor works.... I probably wouldn't have trusted that. 

 

Used boards are ~$90 on ebay. (Lower if you're lucky.) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

That's weird to say which processor works.... I probably wouldn't have trusted that. 

 

Used boards are ~$90 on ebay. (Lower if you're lucky.) 

Yeah, it was stupid of me. Oh well, thanks for all the help, I appreciate the time and effort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, ASWprime said:

Yeah, it was stupid of me. Oh well, thanks for all the help, I appreciate the time and effort.

No worries, better luck next time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×