Pc Upgrading Suggestion Need

nck007
Go to solution Solved by Cereal5,

You are better off looking for an i7-6700K or 7700K than going with an 8600K. Both of those processors will fit in your current motherboard, and since you have a Z170 motherboard, you will be able to overclock. Both of those CPUs should also out perform the 8600K by a little bit in gaming and workstation tasks. This should save you some money, since you don't have to buy a new motherboard.

Are you unhappy with your current set up for any reason? Or do you just feel like upgrading? If the second, I'd wait.

I was thinking of upgrading my Computer to following System Specs.

1. Intell 6600 -> 8600k

2. Graphic as it is gtx 970.

3.Stock cooler -> Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB Edition Liquid Cooler (MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1)

4.Asus z170 Deluxe ->ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 802.11ac Wi-Fi

i have a few Questions now:
1. Does this upgrade makes sense.
2. As i was looking to buy a motherboard which is also compatible with 9th gen i came across Asus rog Strix z390 series ,i did not understand the proper differences between all the motherboards(ie. z390 e ,f,i etc.) except for few ports and slots here and there all those seem same to me .So does is matter which one i go for?
3.Any other Motherboard which is better than this and also less than or equal to the same price as mentioned in point 3 of system specification.

any other suggestions are also welcome.

ps. i am building computer for gaming and few also so that i can run some ml models from time to time(not on too large data sets)

wait untill next year. this year was very "meh" on the CPU side of hardware. Next year is when a lot of exciting hardware is dropping. also you dont need a Z390 board and id just keep your current system untill next year.

You are better off looking for an i7-6700K or 7700K than going with an 8600K. Both of those processors will fit in your current motherboard, and since you have a Z170 motherboard, you will be able to overclock. Both of those CPUs should also out perform the 8600K by a little bit in gaming and workstation tasks. This should save you some money, since you don't have to buy a new motherboard.

Are you unhappy with your current set up for any reason? Or do you just feel like upgrading? If the second, I'd wait.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

6 minutes ago, nck007 said:

For gaming, no. The 6600 should be fine for a 970

:)

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

5 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

yeah i think waiting till next year is better option

12 minutes ago, nck007 said:

I was thinking of upgrading my Computer to following System Specs.

1. Intell 6600 -> 8600k

2. Graphic as it is gtx 970.

3.Stock cooler -> Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L RGB Edition Liquid Cooler (MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1)

4.Asus z170 Deluxe ->ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 802.11ac Wi-Fi

i have a few Questions now:
2. As i was looking to buy a motherboard which is also compatible with 9th gen i came across Asus rog Strix z390 series ,i did not understand the proper differences between all the motherboards(ie. z390 e ,f,i etc.) except for few ports and slots here and there all those seem same to me .So does is matter which one i go for?
3.Any other Motherboard which is better than this and also less than or equal to the same price as mentioned in point 3 of system specification.

any other suggestions are also welcome.

ps. i am building computer for gaming and few also so that i can run some ml models from time to time(not on too large data sets)

you're still on the sweet spot in terms of  gaming. yeah you can spend for a good cooling solution since intel stock fan "appearance" suck and an AIO canlower temps better. but like they said. intel and amd are going head and head in the cpu competition so more likely you will see a new generation of cpu soon. i am seeing leaks of information about some incoming cpu generation so wait for a while.

Potato: Intel i5-8400 | XFX RX580 8GB | 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHZ HyperX | Asus ex-H310M | Kingston 120GB SSD | SEAGATE 2TB HDD | Corsair VS450 GRAY 450watts.
2D MMORPG Games Since 2006.