Building a badly designed server for less then $500

So as a SydneySider from down south where used servers cost as much as a cheap car I’ve been looking for a few months to build a storage and networking server to run Plex and pi-hole and manage around 30 Ethernet connections in a rack mount case. In this thread I’ll post my progress and take suggestions or criticism.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:38 AM, manikyath said:

uh.. ellaborate?

like a network switch because the servers goal is to support a house of 6 power users each with a ps4/pc and at least one cat 6 outlet for each room

5 hours ago, SharpShot2001 said:

like a network switch because the servers goal is to support a house of 6 power users each with a ps4/pc and at least one cat 6 outlet for each room

then get a switch to plug all those into.

the amount of money you pay for that many network cards is higher than that of a high end business grade switch.

18 hours ago, manikyath said:

then get a switch to plug all those into.

the amount of money you pay for that many network cards is higher than that of a high end business grade switch.

thanks for the good point a 24 port switch is only like $100 used here but what parts should i use for the server

14 hours ago, SharpShot2001 said:

thanks for the good point a 24 port switch is only like $100 used here but what parts should i use for the server

for storage, plex server, and a web proxy.. literally any decent computer from the last 10 years will do.