Can't change fan speed in MSI Afterburner...

I wanted to test the fans in my GPU, but for some reason the fan control is greyed out. I tried googling this, but didn't find an answer on any other topic. In the settings there is nothing to enable the fan control speed. Does anyone know how to do this? I've noticed that other people have the fan curve tab to set the fan speed according to the temperature, I don't have that either.

fan speed.png

Try EVGA Precision to see if you have same issue there.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

24 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Try EVGA Precision to see if you have same issue there.

In EVGA Precision I have the graph, but even if I set the fan speed to max at 0C it doesn't do anything. I don't know if it's connected to this at all, but also I'm unable to control my Thermaltake AIO fans as it says the controller is not detected even though it's plugged in correctly.

10 hours ago, Space_Station_X said:

In EVGA Precision I have the graph, but even if I set the fan speed to max at 0C it doesn't do anything. I don't know if it's connected to this at all, but also I'm unable to control my Thermaltake AIO fans as it says the controller is not detected even though it's plugged in correctly.

Have you tried different driver versions? That usually does the trick with Afterburner.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 month later...

Have you figured it out? i have gigabyte 2070 windforce and can't control fan speed with "msi afterburner" too, but I can control it on aorus engine app.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:54 PM, Kilas said:

Have you figured it out? i have gigabyte 2070 windforce and can't control fan speed with "msi afterburner" too, but I can control it on aorus engine app.

I have exactly the same issue, i cannot control any fan settings outside of the aorus app, and that software is crap. It lags the entire pc when being opened, does not save fan curves, it shuts down the fans randomly, overall i regret buying the rtx to gigabyte.

Same problem here also with the 2070 Windforce 8g.

Aorus engine slows the pc down pretty much.

When i had the evga 970 i could use whichever program i wanted.

Now i think best is to just let the fans auto do theyre work, and then hopefully next summer when room temps get higher again, there is a solution without Aorus engine..

Shame that it seems they hard lock it to that stupid program.

Meanwhile i ofcourse going to find a program or method that can control the fans. 

I mean, IF i should use Aorus engine and set the fans to 60% idle temps goes from around 30 celcius to around 20 celcius.

In game however, it goes from around 65-69 (and thus enabling the fans) to around 55-59. 

So i prefer to have the fans always on, but without the Aorus engine.
If somone else has a solution, then i would be very happy to know it too :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Gigabyte Rtx 2080 and im having the same problem, i think its something that all RTX cards are having

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem over here, I am using a MSI RTX 2080 Gaming trio X.

No solution yet?

28 minutes ago, Narender said:

Update! downloaded the beta version of afterburner. fan speed control unlocked for my card now.

Think i will have to try this with mine as i don't have fan control either ? mine is R9 295x2