Lora! Lora!! Lora!!!

My friend gave me two raspberry pi zeros two esp8266 modules two lora ra-02   modules and some extra cash ... He wanted me to build a encrypted off grid texting using any apps like WhatsApp or any custom app he also said that he won't be needing too much range that the two modules won't be apart by more than 2 kilometers.... So i have not yet worked with lora boards... So how am i going to pull this off...or is it even possible?

if you ask, if it possible, probably you can't do that... you would have to implement some radio communication system, with powerfull antena in an open band, due to laws

4 hours ago, wojtepanik said:

if you ask, if it possible, probably you can't do that... you would have to implement some radio communication system, with powerfull antena in an open band, due to laws

LoRa is a radio-system that operates on the open bands and it can easily handle several kilometers range without any issues. Hell, Andreas Spiess, for example, has demonstrated that he can get 100km range with it. I use LoRa myself for all sorts of remote-sensors and it's pretty damn wonderful.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 hours ago, Mr. Cucumber said:

My friend gave me two raspberry pi zeros two esp8266 modules two lora ra-02   modules and some extra cash ... He wanted me to build a encrypted off grid texting using any apps like WhatsApp or any custom app he also said that he won't be needing too much range that the two modules won't be apart by more than 2 kilometers.... So i have not yet worked with lora boards... So how am i going to pull this off...or is it even possible?

Just need a clarification: he wants to use his mobile-phone for this, or is a separate device for the texting acceptable? It's easy to get the ESPs to communicate with each other over LoRa, the harder part would be getting the phone to communicate with the ESPs in a user-friendly manner.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.