Enlightenment Requested, Please be friendly...

DysonSphere75

Hello,

I would like to learn more about audio.

All I know so far, are KHz rates, Channels, Latency, Amps, Magnets, and Plugs.

I request that if you have the know how, to please sumbit it in this thread. Please do not waste your time talking about how much of a n00b I am. Please just tell me everything you know about audio. Thank you. Also, some recommendations on Sound Card price ranges would be appreciated. :) Thank you for your time, and have a great day!

Hey man! Welcome to the forums. :D

First of you might wanna watch this series of videos by Tek Syndicate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjTxEwlypA0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

I might suggest getting something like the Objective 2 or FiiO E10. :)

Also you might wanna State you price range. :)  

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Ps_domingo, on 10 Jan 2014 - 3:12 PM, said:Ps_domingo, on 10 Jan 2014 - 3:12 PM, said:Ps_domingo, on 10 Jan 2014 - 3:12 PM, said:

Hey man! Welcome to the forums. :D

First of you might wanna watch this series of videos by Tek Syndicate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjTxEwlypA0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

I might suggest getting something like the Objective 2 or FiiO E10. :)

Also you might wanna State you price range. :)

Dude..Too fast on the suggestion. Let's ask his setup and usage first.

picard-riker-facepalm-meme-4chan-lol-wtf

Edited by atrash

Welcome,  If I was to try to type out everything I know it would either be to garbled to understand properly or I would be banned for spamming walls of text.

Read the FAQ at the top of the audio sub forum, a very nice piece of work that will enlighten you no end.  It also has links to some videos that are a little lengthy but to anyone interested in audio very informative and entertaining.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Please just tell me everything you know about audio.

Start by reading the FAQ then if you wanna know more open a book or wikipedia or something dude. You didn't even specify what you wanna know...

Also, some recommendations on Sound Card price ranges would be appreciated. :)

What heaphones/speakers are you using? What do you need a soundcard for? 

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Dude..Too fast on the suggestion. Let's ask his setup and usage first.

picard-riker-facepalm-meme-4chan-lol-wtf

Start by reading the FAQ then if you wanna know more open a book or wikipedia or something dude. You didn't even specify what you wanna know...

What heaphones/speakers are you using? What do you need a soundcard for? 

I do not need a soundcard, I was just asking the price ranges of common sound cards.

I do not need a soundcard, I was just asking the price ranges of common sound cards.

Anywhere from $25USD to hundreds of dollars. Some are marketed to home pc enthusiasts and gamers, others for audio production in a professional setting. For home, you will usually come across the ones in the 25-200 dollar range these days I'd say. I haven't payed attention to the pro end of the spectrum in nearly a decade so I have no idea about them anymore. I'd figure it's mostly all external these days and has been that way for awhile now. Home recording/production has really dropped down in price and you can get some really cool external DAC's for a very good price. Haven't checked recently, but i'd say 70-200 dollars will do much more than most people would really need in a home setting.

Anywhere from $25USD to hundreds of dollars. Some are marketed to home pc enthusiasts and gamers, others for audio production in a professional setting. For home, you will usually come across the ones in the 25-200 dollar range these days I'd say. I haven't payed attention to the pro end of the spectrum in nearly a decade so I have no idea about them anymore. I'd figure it's mostly all external these days and has been that way for awhile now. Home recording/production has really dropped down in price and you can get some really cool external DAC's for a very good price. Haven't checked recently, but i'd say 70-200 dollars will do much more than most people would really need in a home setting.

That is not what I meant... I mean FFS how hard is it for anyone to understand. I will simply as much as possible. I would like someone to label decent common sound cards in price ranges. I.E GPU's 75-100$ for HD 7750  750-1000$ R9 290. Get it??

That is not what I meant... I mean FFS how hard is it for anyone to understand. I will simply as much as possible. I would like someone to label decent common sound cards in price ranges. I.E GPU's 75-100$ for HD 7750  750-1000$ R9 290. Get it??

The audio industry isn't nearly as honest in marketing and pricing segments for performance compared with the GPU industry.You will see components with similar implementation from a cheap product with heavy marketing being sold at hundreds of dollars.

If you don't like either of those answers, then I don't know what else to tell you. I don't see how you can ask others to treat you kindly, then later on make that sort of reply when people are simply trying to help.

TL:DR Read the Audio Forum FAQ. Link in my signature. Also it is at the top of the forum as a sticky.

The audio industry isn't nearly as honest in marketing for performance compared with the GPU industry.You will see componentrywith similar implementation in a cheap product with heavy marketing being sold and hundreds of dollars.

If you don't like either of those answers, then I don't know what else to tell you. I don't see how you can ask others to treat you kindly, then later on make that sort of reply when people are simply trying to help.

You still don't understand, I was asking about specific products. 

Free-$75ish - Onboard

$75ish-$120- E10

$120-$250ish- Objective 2

$250+ - Objective 2/ODAC combo unit. 

Happy now? 

I understand perfectly. You want a list of each price range with the top product in that range. In audio, it isn't that easy. Audio isn't that black and white. Perhaps with speakers, and headphones... yes we can do that. 

Again, read the Audio Forum FAQ. It will give you the context you are missing. When it comes to this industry, it is not as honest as what we are usually use to when it comes to GPU's. You don't have people reviewing a ATI 5770 as if they like it more than a ATI 7850. Or a 5770 that is rebranded and made to look sleek and sexy then sold at the price point of an AMD r9.

Free-$75ish - Onboard

$75ish-$120- E10

Happy now? 

Yes. Although I am not sure how you would desolder and add new onboard sound cards.

Yes. Although I am not sure how you would desolder and add new onboard sound cards.

You don't, if your motherboard is less then 5 years old your onboard is more then enough for most of the headphones on the market. 

Free-$75ish - Onboard

$75ish-$120- E10

Happy now? 

Even though I agree, I didn't want to list something similar since the OP keeps talking about onboard sound cards only and I'm tired of onboard sound card arguments!  :lol:

I understand perfectly. You want a list of each price range with the top product in that range. In audio, it isn't that easy. Audio isn't that black and white. Perhaps with speakers, and headphones... yes we can do that. 

Again, read the Audio Forum FAQ. It will give you the context you are missing. When it comes to this industry, it is not as honest as what we are usually use to when it comes to GPU's. You don't have people reviewing a ATI 5770 as if they like it more than a ATI 7850. Or a 5770 that is rebranded and made to look sleek and sexy then sold at the price point of an AMD r9.

Even though I agree, I didn't want to list something similar since the OP keeps talking about onboard sound cards only and I'm tired of onboard sound card arguments!   :lol:

When in doubt just generalize brother, makes life easier. 

Dude, that's why tofuace is telling you that it is not that simple.  You can't just slot a product into a price range because each product and price range not only overlaps but has many features that need to be weighed of against each other.

EDIT: also I kindly remind you that we don't appreciate the veiled insult, please try to keep calm if you feel misunderstood.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Even though I agree, I didn't want to list something similar since the OP keeps talking about onboard sound cards only and I'm tired of onboard sound card arguments!  :lol:

First of all, I mentioned onboard sound cards once. lol

Second of all, I am simply looking for answers, and it becomes aggravating when people totally see your point the wrong way in your own eyes.

I have to accept that you cannot give me the information I desire. I am truly sorry if view my post as an insult. 

I am not looking for an explanation, I am looking for hard information. 

I am not looking for a description of the transparency of the Sound Card market, I am looking for best Performance per Price. I will check the FAQ.

Dude, that's why tofuace is telling you that it is not that simple.  You can't just slot a product into a price range because each product and price range not only overlaps but has many features that need to be weighed of against each other.

EDIT: also I kindly remind you that we don't appreciate the veiled insult, please try to keep calm if you feel misunderstood.

Second of all, I am simply looking for answers, and it becomes aggravating when people totally see your point the wrong way in your own eyes.

I have to accept that you cannot give me the information I desire. I am truly sorry if view my post as an insult. 

I am not looking for a description of the transparency of the Sound Card market, I am looking for best Performance per Price. I will check the FAQ.

Just for the record, they are still right. 

I gave you want you were looking for, but through that I am technically wrong. 

NP,  I guess by way of explanation, the reason it is hard to put a performance to $ ratio on audio is that ALL sound products generally fall into one of two categories, their SQ is either good or sucks. And because there are so many solutions on the market at varying price points no one has to settle for crap sound quality, so people will compromise on features instead to save money.  Do I make any sense?

NP, I guess by way of explanation, the reason it is hard to put a performance to $ ratio on audio is that ALL sound products generally fall into one of two categories, their SQ is either good or sucks. And because there are so many solutions on the market at varying price points no one has to settle for crap sound quality, so people will compromise on features instead to save money. Do I make any sense?

oh nvm