I'm Such a Noob and Need Some Help: AIOs and VRMs

Hello all! Sorry for being such a noob, but I can't seem to find a straight answer from Google on this one. I'm building a new rig (found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PhvpJ8) and I'm thinking about putting in an AIO liquid cooler on the cpu for those good looks. But I've seen whispers here and there that AIOs can present the problem of overheating the VRM and RAM.

However, some seem to say not to worry about it too much. There's even the ASUS Ryujin that has a fan in the waterblock to cool those parts, but it's kinda expensive (I got many of my parts for good deals on black Friday prices and the wife has me on a budget), and rumored to be a little loud.

So, I thought I would get your opinions on the matter. Do I need to do some additional cooling beyond the AIO and a case fan or two to keep the VRM and RAM nice and cool? Are AIOs a waste of time with an air cooler being a better option? 

Note: I'm a noob, and although a custom loop would be neat, I really wouldn't know what I was doing and would rather not go that route. 

No immediate plans to overclock, but I like to tinker and may go that route in the future. 

Thanks in advance, and please don't hate on my RGB. ;D

With this board, you will need a lot of airflow to the VRM. That's what happens when you use an underwhelming board. The memory stick doesnt need specialized cooling, just the case airflow is enough (unless you raise memory voltage greatly beyond the 1.35v setting XMP profiles use).

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, frysauce01 said:

Hello all! Sorry for being such a noob, but I can't seem to find a straight answer from Google on this one. I'm building a new rig (found here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PhvpJ8) and I'm thinking about putting in an AIO liquid cooler on the cpu for those good looks. But I've seen whispers here and there that AIOs can present the problem of overheating the VRM and RAM.

However, some seem to say not to worry about it too much. There's even the ASUS Ryujin that has a fan in the waterblock to cool those parts, but it's kinda expensive (I got many of my parts for good deals on black Friday prices and the wife has me on a budget), and rumored to be a little loud.

So, I thought I would get your opinions on the matter. Do I need to do some additional cooling beyond the AIO and a case fan or two to keep the VRM and RAM nice and cool? Are AIOs a waste of time with an air cooler being a better option? 

Note: I'm a noob, and although a custom loop would be neat, I really wouldn't know what I was doing and would rather not go that route. 

No immediate plans to overclock, but I like to tinker and may go that route in the future. 

Thanks in advance, and please don't hate on my RGB. ;D

with that retarded motherboard yes, the VRM's "might" overheat depending on the workload regardless if you're using an AIO or Air Cooler since there's no heatsink on the VRM's either way to cool it.

that motherboard is intended for the low end Ryzen CPU's, not the Midrange or High End

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

I see. Is there a board of the ASUS variety that would be a better suit for the processor? I was kind of entertaining the idea of having an aura sync capable one. 

2 minutes ago, frysauce01 said:

I see. Is there a board of the ASUS variety that would be a better suit for the processor? I was kind of entertaining the idea of having an aura sync capable one. 

I wouldn't go any lower than this with ASUS, they're not really known for "the best" VRM's on cheap motherboards, but this is good enough and you shouldn't have any issues

13 hours ago, syn2112 said:

I wouldn't go any lower than this with ASUS, they're not really known for "the best" VRM's on cheap motherboards, but this is good enough and you shouldn't have any issues

What if I were to apply aftermarket heatsinks to my original board? If I put the radiator on the front of the case and used case fans in the top and rear, combined with some applied heatsinks, that should be enough, right? 

10 minutes ago, frysauce01 said:

What if I were to apply aftermarket heatsinks to my original board? If I put the radiator on the front of the case and used case fans in the top and rear, combined with some applied heatsinks, that should be enough, right? 

you're talking about the B450M-A? where are you gonna find aftermarket VRM heatsinks?

and if you did somehow manage to find a heatsink then yeah it should be enough even if you make the top and rear fans to blow air out instead of in

25 minutes ago, frysauce01 said:

, that should be enough, right? 

just get a few 10mm 40x40 noctua's and use them to blast air on the VRM, 

prefer some nice copper sinks myself. All sorts of sizes available. 

IMG_0843.JPG

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

prefer some nice copper sinks myself. All sorts of sizes available. 

nice :)    i got 20-30 of those myself that are fun to mess with  and a round Enzotech NB heatsink thats very similar in design but a 47mm round. and 2" tall