Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for suggestions on draining this loop

So, it's almost been a year since I first built this custom loop, and I figured it's close to time I should clean it. I messed up the drain port because I couldn't figure out where to put it. I had an issue at first which required me to drain the loop, and it was then I realized I messed up. 

As it is now, I can drain the resevior, and the outlet tube to the gpu to the top radiator with a little effort. My problem comes with draining out everything else: 

The asus formula vrm, the cpu water block, top rad, front rad. 

If anyone has suggestions I'd be glad to hear it, be it a different tubing route or a different spot for the drain. Keep in mind these radiators don't have a port on top, so that's causing issues to get air in the system, and the vrm built in water block is making it complicated too(I think, not sure how physics work) but I like it. 20180205_223445.thumb.jpg.b8ec54a0dde2a5e0b98ddc8066384b62.jpg

Everything you see is basically how it is. Pump > gpu > top rad > vrm > cpu waterblock > front rad(nothing behind resevior except that tube bending up into the front rad) > reservoir. Drain port is on an extra inlet in the front, top of resevior has 2 extra ports. 

Edit: only thing I can think of atm is to just spin it like a gyroscope until all the water comes out. But I'm looking to make changes to make it easier going forward. 

Crack a plug on the top of the top radiator to let some air in the system and that should get the majority of the liquid out. The rest should come out with some case maneuvering and flushing.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

6 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Crack a plug on the top

I mentioned in my post that the radiator don't have a plug on top. Only 1 inlet and 1 outlet. Unless you are suggesting I drill a hole on top of the rad to make a port. 

Edit: unless you meant crack a port on top of the resevior. I did that last time, took a lot of effort to drain everything else. 

4 minutes ago, MoonFrost said:

I mentioned in my post that the radiator don't have a plug on top. Only 1 inlet and 1 outlet. Unless 

(my b I missed that) Turn the whole PC face down (open case side facing down). It will be awkward to hold, but it will actually let the drain port be the lowest point, and then you should be able to crack a fitting on the new top (old right side) of the one of the radiators to allow some air in. That is my only other guess atm.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

(my b I missed that) Turn the whole PC face down (open case side facing down). It will be awkward to hold, but it will actually let the drain port be the lowest point, and then you should be able to crack a fitting on the new top (old right side) of the one of the radiators to allow some air in. That is my only other guess atm.

I may try that actually. Thanks. Hopefully someone can tell me how to change the loop so I don't have to do that in the future if possible. 

Just now, MoonFrost said:

I may try that actually. Thanks. Hopefully someone can tell me how to change the loop so I don't have to do that in the future if possible. 

If I'm not mistaken, it's a problem all dual-pass radiators have when you mount them vertically. No matter which way you mount it, there will always be half of it that has to go up in order to go back down. It can be fixed if you put a cross flow rad in, but those usually require a little more vertical space for the fittings on both sides (also they tend to have slightly worse thermals).

[Under Construction]

Invert the orientation of the front rad. Any "U"s ina loop will not drain vy gtavity 

yes do what For Science says, instead of up install it upside down (comparatively) it will be harder to bleed and easier to drain, but  you will always get issues with water stuck, 

for my soft line builds i usually drained what i could by tilting then removed the parts that needed attention and used paper towels if that meant possible drips.

when i put this loop  together, i filled it and by the time i dumped in about a liter of water or so, i noticed it was leaking a the tube res and drained it quickly.  did what i neglected to ensure at first and ran a 2 day test and found a slow drip (1 ever couple hours)  and  that was a fitting i had managed to untwist the slightest by accident. so i had do a full drain, the drain pipe/ open port worked real good, until the water got air locked, and i had to tilt it any way.

I know what you are asking and i dont know if there is a perfect solution for every design out there, but there are certainly benefits/negatives   (easier to drain/harder to bleed)

Spoiler

IMG_20181102_193805523.thumb.jpg.8c410be1c423436e9ed8c4a73a3b69a2.jpg

By simply drawing where you have "U"s it is easy to see where you will have qater accumulation thatll take quite a lot of tilting to get rid of. In parricular you have 3 consecutive "U"s that is the source of the problem

20181201_051902.thumb.jpg.bb571785b0a63767840fe095aa7f090f.jpg

Rearranging the order and the orientatin of the radiators can untangle some of these u bends. In this picture below there is only one u bend.

20181201_052053.thumb.jpg.f55f34dc26fd3b40fcc5ed2cfee665d2.jpg

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Invert the orientation of the front rad. Any "U"s ina loop will not drain vy gtavity 

I think I remember you from last year lol. (I'm still getting a few bubbles in my cpu U bend section, I've given up on it. If theres a leak I can't find it) 

But anyways, I think I remember you suggesting this, and I don't have room to turn the radiator around. The input and output would be obstructed by the pump, even without fittings

Edit: thanks for the illustration. I'll have to look at it when I'm more awake so I can visualize it

3 minutes ago, MoonFrost said:

I think I remember you from last year lol. (I'm still getting a few bubbles in my cpu U bend section, I've given up on it. If theres a leak I can't find it) 

But anyways, I think I remember you suggesting this, and I don't have room to turn the radiator around. The input and output would be obstructed by the pump, even without fittings

I remember you too! Anyway maybe if you use 2x 90 degree fittings on each port. ypu can clear the pump? This is what i do in my system.

20180210_141439.jpg

Only a suggestion, but if you mount the fans on the otherside that will move the ports back giving you enough clearqnce.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Only a suggestion, but if you mount the fans on the otherside that will move the ports back giving you enough clearqnce.

true. but it'd destroy the look of my case in the front lol.

20181201_021017.jpg

8 hours ago, MoonFrost said:

true. but it'd destroy the look of my case in the front lol.

* or you could make it more interesting having the white light filter through the fins on the cores

look at the top one, and you'd get an idea.

also  its a decent suggestion that would get you more space for fittings and connectors that you would/could use with more space.