Cooler upgrade?

Ankit8879

I have an i5 6600K overclocked to 4.6 GHz cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212x. The idle temps are around 40-60C (ambient being 25-30C) and also the load keeps bouncing around between 9% and 30%, it's never stable. What could be the issue? 

Before I never had this issue, my idle temps were mostly 3-4C higher than the ambient so I really have no clue what is causing this. Also nothing seems suspicious in the task manager as well. 

Should I upgrade my cooler to may be an AIO instead of air?

image.png.61c7ad8ca8b0c3e8db35339a2b190805.pngimage.png.7b01fafdd6bf701f5ae24a77ea462957.png

Is this something that's been progressively getting worse over time, or was it a sudden change?

I find it unlikely that your TIM would have gone off with a chip as new as the 6600k, but it's still possible. How is the cooler itself, clean? Your fan(s), spinning?

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

35 minutes ago, Semper said:

Is this something that's been progressively getting worse over time, or was it a sudden change?

I find it unlikely that your TIM would have gone off with a chip as new as the 6600k, but it's still possible. How is the cooler itself, clean? Your fan(s), spinning?

It was all of sudden, it probably started a month ago...before that the temps were normal.

Also the cooler is pretty clean. I have checked everything that could bother the cooling although couldn't find anything suspicious except for the unsually varying idle load which is very unstable.

I had the problem being 212 cooler comes with a very weak fan (may be just unlucky getting a faulty fan for me), then added another fan at pull, even a 8cm fan will cool it down 

There's some software using multiple cores in background. Temps are still normal. You can run stress test to see if there's even need to do something with cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/30/2018 at 6:08 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

There's some software using multiple cores in background. Temps are still normal. You can run stress test to see if there's even need to do something with cooler.

I did stress test it with CPUZ and Cinebench, during which i get temps upto 82C max. Also my pc starts lagging during the stress test. Am begining to think it also may be a CPU issue.

10 hours ago, Ankit8879 said:

I did stress test it with CPUZ and Cinebench, during which i get temps upto 82C max. Also my pc starts lagging during the stress test. Am begining to think it also may be a CPU issue.

Its not temps issue. Temps are still within reason. Not that good, but nothing to really mean you'd need new cooler.

As for this lagging (=network term so we use stuttering), its more likely RAM or drive related than CPU being problem. If it was CPU, you would see it underclocking/throttling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv