Slow & inconsistent internet speeds, and now dropping out entirely

loubot1

Hi, I'm struggling with slow and inconsistent internet speeds at the moment, and the adapter I'm using has even started to say that there is no internet available even though all the other devices in this house are still using it fine, and I have to use the windows troubleshooter to get it to work again, which only works for 5 minutes at the very most.

I'm currently using a USB3.0 Wireless adapter to connect to the internet. It is a TP-Link TL-WN822N adapter, and the only reason I went for this over an ethernet cable and a PCIe wireless card is simplicity. I bought a 3m long USB3.0 cable and attached the wireless adapter on the end of it, and put it next to my window which is the nearest point in the room to my router. Since I live in an area that doesn't have Fibre Optic yet, I'm getting internet wirelessly from a mast about 5 miles away from my house. (speedtest screenshot: https://imgur.com/POc6RRW)

Now, I could get a 20m long wire, run it from my PC, out the window, into another window, and into the router, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that (long story). Or, I could buy a far better USB3.0 adapter (if that's possible), or buy a PCIe wireless card, unless there are any other options. The reason I didn't get a PCIe card is because my computer isn't in the best of spots for wifi. I'm about 5-10m away from the router at the moment, but there's a few walls and a roof in the way, which I would have thought would slow it down a bit more. 

Out of the 3 options (or more, if it's any good), what's my best choice?

Q: What's the best PCIe wireless card for having to get signal through multiple obstructions?

Q: What's the best (if there are any) USB3.0 wireless adapters to get?

Here's some screenshots of what Windows Troubleshooter is telling me: https://imgur.com/6UQeb7U

And here's a pastebin link of stuff I don't understand: https://pastebin.com/czy9X3KA

TIA!

Seems to me like range problem

1st using a cable to get better range on ur usb wifi dongle will affect your network speed.buying a 20m ethernet cale is going to be very expensive

If you need a cheap alternative,i suggest a range extender,I use a tplink RE205 range extender and it works great,very easy to install.

Right, so I took my computer downstairs closer to the router, and I was achieving higher speeds & lower ping through the USB Adapter (including extending wire, and no dropping out whatsoever) than I was using a recently bought ethernet cable from ebay. How? From all my own basic experience I know this should not be the case.

My computer is now back upstairs, the USB adapter is connected and not dropping out anywhere near as often. When it does drop out, it connects back to the internet automatically. Can anyone tell me what the actual f*** is going on with my equipment??

4 hours ago, akialwayz said:

Seems to me like range problem

1st using a cable to get better range on ur usb wifi dongle will affect your network speed.buying a 20m ethernet cale is going to be very expensive

If you need a cheap alternative,i suggest a range extender,I use a tplink RE205 range extender and it works great,very easy to install.

Using a USB extension should have zero perceivable difference to plugging it directly into the port.  Once latency is bad enough to notice, USB would stop functioning.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Using a USB extension should have zero perceivable difference to plugging it directly into the port.  Once latency is bad enough to notice, USB would stop functioning.

I was thinking that. How come when I had my computer downstairs it worked without a problem, and now that I've moved it back upstairs, it's started to disconnect and drop out every 5 minutes again? Is it a router issue?