how to find "root" (superuser) password

regretderp

I tried to change my username of my user and I accidentally clicked cancel instead of confirm, so i only have guest and standard users. Now I'm trying to give admin privileges back to my standard user and I need the password to the "superuser/root" user. Directory Utility and Terminal shows the password as a single character, shown as a *, and Directory Utility shows * with a data value of "2a".1511213722_ScreenShot2018-11-25at5_44_16PM.png.7349fce6a9ca293c1e25137aa6098f66.png1935712848_ScreenShot2018-11-25at5_04_11PM.png.3f3ea605dfd6ad8d7853817ce853a3bf.png

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

On a mac? Boot to the recovery partition. 

how would i do that

Just now, regretderp said:

how would i do that

I believe it's "restart and hold option when it's starting up"

20 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I believe it's "restart and hold option when it's starting up"

i've just entered in the recovery partition and entered in my wifi password, what to do next

update: i followed the on screen instructions and i landed back on my standard user account

update (1): i rebooted it back onto the recovery partition and i just entered in my wifi password and its telling my to click on Macintosh HD

1 hour ago, regretderp said:

i've just entered in the recovery partition and entered in my wifi password, what to do next

update: i followed the on screen instructions and i landed back on my standard user account

update (1): i rebooted it back onto the recovery partition and i just entered in my wifi password and its telling my to click on Macintosh HD

Pretty sure there's a "reset password" option somewhere in the recovery menu. You may need installation media instead. I'm unsure, haven't had to reset a password in years.