I CAN'T DEAL WITH WINDOWS 10

MyLittleFella
On 12/21/2018 at 9:37 AM, Koeshi said:

You have a recommendation on that?  I use Linux as my daily driver but have W10 LTSB around for certain game compatibilities.  

I always used LTSB 1607 since I got this 7700k build. Never gave me problems. I like it.
It's Win10 without the bloatware.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

On 12/21/2018 at 10:02 AM, chiller15 said:

Also, recommending that other people use an out-dated and less secure OS is a dumb idea.

IMO you're right, and wrong. Windows LTSB/C still gets the security updates just like the other Win10 versions. If the user is satisfied with a specific version, there is no reason why to updated it, if they're still getting the security patches.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.6GHz (single core boost) | 5.4GHz (all cores); Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero X670E; RAM: Team Group T-Force 2x16GB (32GB) DDR5 @ 6000MHz CL38; GPU: RTX 4080 - ZOTAC GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO; Case: NZXT H7 Flow; Storage: Kingston KC3000 1TB + Adata Legend 900 2TB; Cooling: Cooler Master PL360; PSU: Corsair HX 1200

On 12/21/2018 at 10:11 AM, Delicieuxz said:

As an aside, here's a neat custom release of Windows 10 LTSB 2016 that replaces Windows 10's ugly title bars and task bar with aero glass style:

There's a download link for that release in the video description. It will require a person to have their own LTSB license, though.

Thanks mate! Def gonna check it out.

I use Windows unfortunaly only when I am at corners... I don't like at all the way Microsoft is using, yes using, the people as beta testers.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many man-hours of work the world has lost to Microsoft updates.  Not just the "We have a guy on staff who's sole job is to see what our software vendor has broken this week" but the "I upgraded to Office 2018 or whatever and I can't find the Print Preview button help!" variety.  I don't get why Microsoft feels the need to radically alter the layout of their OSes every other thing, despite the fact that--since XP--a lot of the same interface is still there, they've just stacked crap on top.  Need to change a setting in XP, right click, click Properties, and you're given a menu.  In Vista/7, Right click, click Properties, get taken to that useless "Windows experience rating" screen or whatever, and along the right hand side there'll be a link (among several) that will get you that same exact menu from XP.

I gave up on Windows 8.1 almost instantly.  Ever played Fantasmagoria II:  A puzzle of flesh?  There's a segment where the player character is at work reviewing reports on his computer, and the game simulates insanity by changing words on the screen to scary words like "murder" or "stab" or whatever for a fraction of a second.  And the Windows 8 tile hell environment with the tiles that occasionally change in your peripheral vision reminded me of that.

On Linux, I can not install updates if I don't want to.  I can update while I'm working and it won't take my computer away from me for twenty minutes in the middle of the workday.  I'll never wake up to find my software vendor has changed or broken my computer without my permission.  I mean, imagine if auto manufacturers behaved like this.  You wake up one day, get ready to drive to work, walk outside and you find a technician standing amongst the pieces of your car.  He says "Toyota released an update and it launched this morning. I'm replacing your transmission, cooling system, upholstery and suspension."  You say "I need to get to work!  How long will this take?"  "Ten more hours."  "TEN HOURS!  Have you got a loaner car I can use while you're doing this?"  "Nope.  You're supposed to be prepared for downtimes like this.  We're going to modify your car whenever we want to without your permission, and you have to deal with it."  "So I'm supposed to have two cars now?"  "Wouldn't help, we'd do them both at the same time."  "Will it at least work better than it did? Handle better, go faster, get better gas mileage?"  "Probably not; these parts were made for a 7th generation Corolla, yours is a 6th generation from 3 years ago.  Whole different car, none of the parts fit, so I'm having to dent, drill and weld stuff until they do fit.  It's gonna look and run like garbage, and you're gonna need to buy a new one."  "Then stop working and put it back the way it was."  "Can't, I already cut off and destroyed a lot of the original parts, including that stuff you had in the back seat and in the glove compartment."  *ten hours later*  "Hey buddy, where's the steering wheel?"  "It's in the trunk.  Some people were handling it wrong and getting into accidents, so we disabled it by default."

Edited by captain_aggravated
Minor typo