[Buildlog] The Cassette Deck

IMG_20181115_184556.thumb.jpg.7b1b92a26a29ce04720a90b505343cea.jpg

The Cassette Deck

New project finally on its way, il be modding this old Fisher cassette deck to host my build.

Plan is to keep as much of it working or to give it a new function as possible. I would like the audio outs to work, id like a cassette to spin if put in there and the VU meters should move around. One of these buttons is going to be made into the power button for the system, probably not the real one as that switch stays closed while power is on and that would just make it stuck bootlooping becuase of the powerbutton :P Im thinking the play button would be cool to use. I have no clue how much of it im going to be able to keep but my goal is as much as possible right now. 

The specs of the BEAST:

CPU: G3250

GPU: GTX 275 / GTX 550TI / 8600GT

RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz / 1x8GB 1883MHz

Cooler: Cryorig C7

Storage: TBD

Motherboard: Asrock Rack E3C226D2I

PSU: TBD - probably something garbage

Yah, this thing is going to be pumping the frames all day and night baby! ? 

On a more serious not this computer is, if its even going to be used, mainly a HTPC for media and shit and mostly im building it because i love building ❤️

TODO list:

• Pictures of the hardware
  • Opening the cassette deck again(yah i did make sure this was possible so i have been in there before)
  • Ordering stuff for the VU meters
  • Testing the CPU, will arive this week or early next week
  • Figuring out how to get the audio stuff to work when there is no onboard audio on the mobo
  • Figuring out what PSU to use
  • Cutting a hole for the GPU
  • Mounting stuff
  • More build stuff i cant bother to list, this list is already about 10 points too long tbh...

Thats it for now, updates come when stuff happens. Thanks for reading! :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Very nice, make sure you reuse the original power button and figure out a way to power the lights, makes the build a whole lot cooler

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

39 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

Very nice, make sure you reuse the original power button and figure out a way to power the lights, makes the build a whole lot cooler

yah the lights shouldnt be too hard, they probably run on just 5V or something else i could grab off a SATA connector :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

30 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah the lights shouldnt be too hard, they probably run on just 5V or something else i could grab off a SATA connector :) 

If your power supply has floppy-drive power, that to me is the easiest way to power stuff

Systems:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

34 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

If your power supply has floppy-drive power, that to me is the easiest way to power stuff

I can get both SATA and Molex connectors with some wires sticking off at a local store so I'm good. Might be able to keep the power for the lights as it came too. Not really sure what I can and can't keep in it just yet

Builds:

Spoiler

So after a bit of smashing my brain towards how to stuff everything in here I have concluded that I need a half height card unless I want to do something pretty drastic. If I'm getting a "new" GPU for this I might as well get something that draws very little power. I'm thinking GT1030 if I can find a used one.

Airflow is going to be bad, but not as horrible as I expected. There is perforation in the bottom around the transformer and some on the back and I will be making a hole for the IO too. 

Im thinking I would like one of those DC to DC internal jobs to power this, it's not going to draw much power and I should have a power brick around that can deliver enough I think. 

Here is a picture of the motherboard, a PCIe extension, the 550ti and the insides:

IMG_20181115_231028.thumb.jpg.ea3c8539f99f5da31acecdce7a9ed3c9.jpg

Spoiler

Bonus potato pic of my cat xD

IMG_20181115_231035.thumb.jpg.6d92c4920a6e1255c66ea89df5a5c499.jpg

Builds:

Spoiler

Just an Idea, what if you have the VU meters actually showing what you're CPU and RAM are processing at like a level meter, and see you you could hook up the volume pot to actually use for volume.  Just putting one out there.  amazing Idea, would love to see it when its done. 

12 minutes ago, poolshark5541 said:

Just an Idea, what if you have the VU meters actually showing what you're CPU and RAM are processing at like a level meter, and see you you could hook up the volume pot to actually use for volume.  Just putting one out there.  amazing Idea, would love to see it when its done. 

Plan for VU meters is to dance to the CPU and GPU power using a non invasive current clamp. Not sure how well its going to work but they max out at less than 1.5V so I should be fine I think

Builds:

Spoiler

Just a small update without pictures this time, I have figured out how to make the headphone jack work at least. The motherboard has a USB port on it that i can stick a USB soundcard in, and then i can feed that through a 3.5mm to cassette adapter i have and bam, sound! 

I will be using the play button as the power on button, as that will make the cassette start to spin and make the whole thing start playing at the same time that i boot the system.

A bit lost on PSUs atm, only have 19.6V power bricks and all the nice and small ones that use power bricks use 12V in :/ dont want to spend a whole lot either so im not sure what to get. I am considering a 19V one i found on Aliexpress because DC to DC powersupplies are much simpleer and idiot safe than AC to DC ones typically. Its half the price of the other options i have been looking at, wont be under much load and use is also likely to be scarce so it feels like it would be an OK buy.

Thats about it for now, no pictures as nothing has actiually happaned. Plan is still to get a GT1030 GDDR5 edition

Builds:

Spoiler

for GPU are you going straight to the mobo or using an extender?

Also: GT 1030

Systems:

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

29 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

for GPU are you going straight to the mobo or using an extender?

Also: GT 1030

Well importing that to Sweden is probably like $200 :P

And Il be going straight of the motherboard most likely, but I do have that extender if I feel like I want to place it elsewhere

Builds:

Spoiler

Another text only update;

The lamps in the VU meters run on 21.5V AC which is kinda strange but that's what they are. 

The play button isn't an electronic switch but rather a rod that gets pushed into a plate that makes a load of shit move which triggers two electrical switches to turn on the motor and "playing" LED. Basically it can't be used as a power button. 

The "rec mute" switch seems like it would work perfectly for a power switch, it's not one I wanted to use but it seems like the only option right now. 

Spent something like one and a half hours getting the drive belt back on after I accidentally pressed rewind and that made the belt jump. Note to self, never EVER touch rewind again. I don't think the sound would actually stop working if they belt jumped though so that's at least something :)

That's all for now, next problem I want to figure out is mounting without making uggly holes

Builds:

Spoiler

UPDATE(now with pictures) :

I have solved mounting of the motherboard, but havent mounted it yet. The solution are a few Apple Powermac G5 standoffs that i will be gluing to the top panel with some strong epoxy or other glue. Either way it should be fine and i wont be worrying about solving that anymore at least :D 

I have also solved the sound, it should work. USB Soundcard -> 3.5mm to cassette -> cassette playing part -> 6.25mm headphone jack on the front

IMG_20181120_201037.thumb.jpg.910d24d6f7831b216ba5c3ae5a9dfff0.jpg

G3250 arived, turned out to be a G3258 but whatever it worked:

IMG_20181120_180239.thumb.jpg.9e7e12e5cc35b0145cc20cbfbc0ca61c.jpg

IMG_20181120_180248.thumb.jpg.979efa51e9890bfe109b2c41a1a441cb.jpg

Also no i wont be using that PSU, its a pice of garbage that i only use when nothing else is around to be a spare and its just for light testing.

Next problem i have no clue about would be rear IO, i want to keep it clean so cutting a huge slab all the way from the top down isnt an optioin i want to consider. I would like to use the IO plate but if i do i cant get the motherboard in because it has to come perfectly vertically from the top because of how the top cover of the deck goes on. I really want it to look clean, but its proving hard.

No luck on a GPU, so for now i think il be doing this without one but still mark out and make sure one can go in there if i at a later date can find a nice half height card for cheap.

Thats about it for now, thanks for reading :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

NOPE screw the glue and standoffs, this is what I'm doing:

IMG_20181121_202102.thumb.jpg.68693460ada379498b4a362501a7544d.jpg

This is pretty much the finished system, except for the fact that Il want to add some insulation on the rails to the PCB and that the cross rails are going to be sliding along a slit in the mid rail. This will allow me to use the IO plate and still remove the motherboard. The motherboard goes in as far back as it can go on the rails, and then gets slid forward into the IO plate by a system I'm not quite sure how it's going to work. Probably just a pice of string you pull. 

Builds:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Update time! 

Been a while and progress has been slow but I have now got the GPU and I have worked a bit more on the rails! 

IMG_20181225_160242.thumb.jpg.95412913c600e74fb1d79fc259788e2a.jpg

IMG_20181225_160232.thumb.jpg.607f5303358d60de6f016c61505b1d20.jpg

I have also decided on a PSU that I will be ordering probably today. Now storage is going to be a problem probably, I haven't found a good solution as I can't use my M.2 drive unless I again switch the board in the Toaster and there is no way I'm doing that. A 3.5" drive pretty much just can't go inside, it's too tall and too fat. Not sure what I'm going to do about it as I don't want to buy another 2.5" drive because money is super an issue. I'm thinking of nabbing a 2.5" HDD but I don't think I have any 7200rpm ones and the 5400rpm 2.5" drives are just painful to have windows on. Then again I might run Linux on it as it won't be playing games much :) il figure it out I'm sure but that's all I got for now, next update is probably some time in January unless shipping is fast over the holidays somehow

*edit*

Never mind the PSU thing, yah they don't have it in stock so I'm back to looking :(

Builds:

Spoiler

Update time again!

Realise i havent put this build in my sig yet, got to do that as soon as im done posting this but anyway got a lot of stuff done yesterday!

Found a PSU for the rig around my home! It went like this:

I need some sort of 2.5" disk for this build, what do i do?

Do i buy a new SSD for €25? nah screw that i like my money so il just rip the one from the NAS!

And while getting the 2.5" 1TB HDD from the NAS i realised that the PSU had a normal 24 pin on it and was a Delta made 140W unit that fit inside the Cassette Deck so i ripped that out too :D It didnt have a 4 pin EPS connector on it, but i made a Molex to 4 Pin myself with a PSU unpin tool i got for christmas last year :) Used one of my like 5 Molex to 6pin/8pin PCIe and nicked a EPS 4 pin from a PSU i had around that im literally never going to use becaus its garbage. 

F5xUgcT.jpg

Tried my new contraption on a sacreficial LGA775 board i had around and 3 CPUs later and a full RAM rotation the panic started to set in. Went to try it with my 1KW known good PSU that i had been using to test the rest of the hardware and nothing.

OhShitDidIKillTheMotherboard.JPG

well a quick voltage check with a multimeter of the entire freaking 24 pin and all the Molex connectors told me that it didnt seem to be the tiny new PSU that killed it at least.

ItsShowtime.Panic

So i tried it with all the real hardware for the build and setting it up it looked adorble and it ended up working perfectly:

pSlbLoO.jpg

UGxlhOZ.jpg

Those voltages legit look better than the ones with the 1KW PSU xD 

Tried a lot of firment things too but its hard to take pictures of stuff that already needs an extra set of hands i dont have so no pictures of that. I do have a plan on how to fit everything in there though, the only thing is that im worried about airflow for the GPU and i worry that the PSU will end up short-circuting the "airflow" path but im sure its fine, these arent especially toasty parts and if it gets real bad il just remove the PCIe bracket and I/O sheild which should help quite a bit.

Thats all for now, more updates once i get my hands on a Molex to SATA power adapter for the HDD or remake the motherboard mounting rails :) 

Happy new years to everyone!

Builds:

Spoiler

• 4 months later...

I would suggest using standofs on the mobo so you do not accidently bump it and short circuit something.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Just now, will1432 said:

I would suggest using standofs on the mobo so you do not accidently bump it and short circuit something.

Plan was to use some plastic washers between the mobo and rails but the project is dead after I realised there was no way this would not almost instantly overheat. There was no way to get air to circulate in a reasonable way without some cutting I did not want to do.

Builds:

Spoiler

@Bananasplit_00 Was there no space to just cover the rear or underside in vents/fans? :( 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

57 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

@Bananasplit_00 Was there no space to just cover the rear or underside in vents/fans? :( 

Rear i wanted clean-ish and most of it was taken up by the IO plate and graphics card IO shield and well, if you find a <5mm thick fan that can also blow right through a PCB the bottom is a no go either.

Builds:

Spoiler