Virus wants to install on my PC!

davve146

As the title states I have a slight issue with my school-PC. Me and a friend were looking for an ISO file for a Wii game and we stumbled across a very sketchy download link. But because it was my school-PC I decided to go ahead and download, unzip and double-clicked the .exe file. Then the program asked for permission to make changes as it always does. At this point it got scary because the file name and other things look very spooky, so I clicked "no". But now I'm stuck in an infinite loop of the program asking for permission. Every time I click "no" it gives me a millisecond of time to see my desktop and then goes right back to the same screen. I've tried restarting my PC but nothing seems to work. Luckily I haven't said yes so it won't install anything just yet. Is the only way to fix it to reinstall windows?

go into safe mode, and uninstall the virus. or if that's not possible, back everything up with wordpad on a windows iso

How do I go into safe-mode? I don't have time in between to get into wordpad. Is there anything else I can do?

2 minutes ago, davve146 said:

How do I go into safe-mode? I don't have time in between to get into wordpad. Is there anything else I can do?

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power  > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Quote me to see your reply

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

I managed to get into safe-mode. Could anyone walk me through on how I can get rid of this thing?

If you can, I know some schools block it, but try going into the admin CMD, and type "sfc /scannow"

hi

1 minute ago, davve146 said:

I managed to get into safe-mode. Could anyone walk me through on how I can get rid of this thing?

You should just be able to navigate to the downloads file or where ever you downloaded it and delete it from there.

PC Specs: Case - NZXT H500i (Black) | Motherboard - Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RX 580 (8GB) | Memory - G.Skill Trident Z 8GB (3000MHz, RGB) | SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | PSU - EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W | CPU Cooler - ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports Edition

Well get in Windows Defender or any anti-virus software, do a scan then check if it's still there

I'm sorry I don't really fully understand how to do this. What I did was I opened CMD through safe-mode. Is that the right way to do it. Also my windows is in Swedish so if you could explain what the icons look like I would really appreciate that. It doesn't translate very well.

Or try looking in task manager for any suspicious processes, go to its file location and kill that fucker.

hi

I'm sorry I don't really fully understand how to do this. What I did was I opened CMD through safe-mode. Is that the right way to do it. Also my windows is in Swedish so if you could explain what the icons look like I would really appreciate that. It doesn't translate very well.

Yeah its a command program (it looks like just a black window with white text when you type), just type in sfc /scannow. Not actually sure if that'll work, but its worth a try.

hi

just go to the location you installed it/downloaded it, so documents or downloads folder, and delete it from there. That should be enough to get rid of it.

Download and run Malwarebytes as a precaution too.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

The problem is that I can't get into the task manager because I only get a split second on my desktop every time I log in. Someone said that I should be able to navigate to the downloads folder. How do I do that?

also, what i meant with wordpad was notepad. you can start notepad via the windows installer from a 4gb+ usb and back up everything if nothing else works

The problem is that I can't get into the task manager because I only get a split second on my desktop every time I log in. Someone said that I should be able to navigate to the downloads folder. How do I do that?

do you also have the problem in safe mode?

After I performed scf/scannow it said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation

Just now, davve146 said:

After I performed scf/scannow it said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation

you're not in admin mode, click it on the right and use administrator mode.

Just now, davve146 said:

I can freely navigate in the safe mode menus

then just use windows explorer and go to the download folder

Sketchy Piracy at school computer, oh boy this is gold.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I have oc cracked my camera lens. But basically I can choose either "continue" or "troubleshoot"

I don't see an option to the right

1540478304978523849688.jpg

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Sketchy Piracy at school computer, oh boy this is gold.

I know. I guess I kinda deserve it for trying to illegally download a GameCube game

I have oc cracked my camera lens. But basically I can choose either "continue" or "troubleshoot"

I don't see an option to the right

1540478304978523849688.jpg

Click Troubleshoot

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

troubleshoot

Now it gives me 2 options: 1. Restore this PC, reinstalls windows

2. Advanced options

15404785056491426339496.jpg