OnePlus 5 RMA- Extremely Disappointing

Dear LTT Forum,

Over a month ago I sent in my OP5 to go through RMA due to the touch screen not working (back and recent buttons plus the touch display were not responding), after extended periods of being powered off the screen would work for a few minutes at best before going back to being non-responsive. 

After working through countless emails back and forth, printing out 7 different sheets of paper and waiting for a courier to be sent to my house (the first weird thing about the RMA) to be told I'm missing 2 more sheets that I wasn't sent until I spoke to them again, eventually after a month of beginning the process the phone left my house and got to them.

The list of things that really gave red flags

-They asked for my phone password (which depending on the circumstances is in breach of Australian Data Security laws)

-The extremely long and convoluted process in order to even get the phone to them

-After receiving my password they were auto-magically able to determine that the cause of the screen losing function was this small piece of damage which is not even on the touchable part of the display

-Are so far unable to give me a reason as to why they needed the password in the first place 

-Why do you need a software password when the issue is entirely hardware based

-I am expected to pay for what seems like a cop out result when the phone is still under warranty

-The damage in the image occurred at least 3 months before the phone started having issues, further leading me to believe that the damage and problem are not at all related

Overall the amount of stress and frustration this experience has caused me is beyond acceptable, OnePlus say Never Settle: I can safely say that I'm not going to settle until this mess is cleared up.

Icarus

Lr1XSBX.jpg

CPU: 7700k @5ghz

GPU: ASUS Strix 1080ti

Mobo: ASUS Z270-AR Prime

Ram: Trident Z RGB 32gb 3200mhz

Boot Drive: Intel 600p m.2 SSD w/ 8tb Toshiba Drive

Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Platinum

Monitor: Main Acer Predator X34 supported by ASUS VG248QE

Keyboard/Mouse/Headset: Corsair K70 Lux (MX Brown), M65 Pro RGB, Void RGB 7.1 (USB)

they will need the password to get into their software diagnostic tool via dial app, they can't get in via emergency call, plus they need to get into the phone to see how well the display functions. if you go to a walk in repair shop in a mall they will also asked for password too, they need to test it after putting the new touchscreen up (if they don't that means they don't even bother to test it). it is always the best idea to backup all your data, wipe it then sent it to repair shop, even if your display broke you can use adb command line or just connect a mouse, etc.

you can mess around it yourself.

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-hardware-diagnostic-tests/

oneplus don't have many repair guy out side china, ill say it is even possible they shipped your phone back to china to get it repair. for the small peice, it is slightly possible, there is touchscreen layer under entire glass, so when that piece broke, overtime moisture can get in and short out the touchscreen layer and cause issue, but it is far stretch.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, Icarus_ said:

The damage in the image occurred at least 3 months before the phone started having issues, further leading me to believe that the damage and problem are not at all related

Doesnt matter. The fact is that is physical damage to the device. Once they see that, which it isnt covered under warranty, then they refuse to repair most of the time. Warranty only covers mechanical break downs and defects. Every company I have ever seen wont repair an item for free under warranty if physical damage is present. Technically this is legal under law, at least in the US. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 10/21/2018 at 8:20 PM, Donut417 said:

Doesnt matter. The fact is that is physical damage to the device. Once they see that, which it isnt covered under warranty, then they refuse to repair most of the time. Warranty only covers mechanical break downs and defects. Every company I have ever seen wont repair an item for free under warranty if physical damage is present. Technically this is legal under law, at least in the US. 

I know that Amazon does, I actually tell the customer service that I broke the screen on my kindle fire and kindle, they said nothing just get on with it immediately. But they also said they can only do this kind of replacement once and after replacement, the warranty is shortened to 30 days. Microsoft also do the same I think (in their physical store)

On 10/20/2018 at 1:07 PM, PacketMan said:

That's your lesson: never buy OnePlus again

Nah. Personally I own a OnePlus 5 too. Owned it since day 1. It's honestly the best phone I've ever owned and have never had a single issues with it. It's legit the perfect phone for me.

COMIC SANS

Necrobump.

Got the phone back today, was working perfectly for a couple of hours and then began having EXACTLY the same issues as before, so I guess it's not a result of my "damage" like they thought.

So I really hope for OP's sake that they refund me and fix it for free because this is completely unacceptable.

Ica

CPU: 7700k @5ghz

GPU: ASUS Strix 1080ti

Mobo: ASUS Z270-AR Prime

Ram: Trident Z RGB 32gb 3200mhz

Boot Drive: Intel 600p m.2 SSD w/ 8tb Toshiba Drive

Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Platinum

Monitor: Main Acer Predator X34 supported by ASUS VG248QE

Keyboard/Mouse/Headset: Corsair K70 Lux (MX Brown), M65 Pro RGB, Void RGB 7.1 (USB)