Is this the PSU or case vibrations?

Kywim

Hello!

My PSU that was already RMA'd once by EVGA has another problem now.
It makes a noise exactly like this: 

(not my video). I can stop the noise by applying some pressure under my case where the PSU is. Never tried slapping it.

The PSU isn't particularly hot too, it's just weird.

This is really infuriating. Is this the PSU or case vibrations? My PSU should be clean as EVGA tests every RMA PSU before sending them.

Can I fix this myself?

I'll try to make a video next time it happens. It seem to only happen in game, never in benchmarks.

Thank you.

well if its RMAd once its probably still covered so could ask for a brand new one 

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

RMA might already be new... is there something in the case or is there blocked airflow in the case? Sometimes it might be from turbulence and not a fault. Try it out of the case and see if it still makes any noise.

6 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

RMA might already be new... is there something in the case or is there blocked airflow in the case? Sometimes it might be from turbulence and not a fault. Try it out of the case and see if it still makes any noise.

The noise is random. I don't have any way of reproducing it for sure, so doing that is going to be hard

I think I'll try to play the rest of the day with the PSU dust filter removed and check if the noise still occurs. If it does come back I'll record it.

9 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

well if its RMAd once its probably still covered so could ask for a brand new one 

It is a brand new one. I received it like 2 weeks ago. It was tested by EVGA before being sent and they were 100% sure it was fine.

I think this is simply case vibrations. I removed the PSU filter, the noise came back but was less loud, and I applied some pressure with my hands below the psu and the noise completely stopped. How can I fix this?

Is it properly screwed in? May seem stupid but it could very well help if it is the case.

System Specs

GPU - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080

CPU - Intel i5 8600k @ 4.8Ghz

Motherboard - Asus ROG Z370-F Gaming

Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3000Mhz

Cooler - NZXT Kraken x62

PSU - Corsair RM550x

Storage - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB / 1TB Barracuda

Case - NZXT H500

It is, but i'll double check, maybe screw it using other holes, it's stupid but maybe it does something idk

The noise seem to stop when it put my hands on (and apply a little bit of pressure) on the plastic railings that hold the PSU dust filter (It's a Corsair 760T case).
This rules out the PSU because I'm not applying enough pressure to influence it, so my guess is either resonance or vibrations, or a mix of both.

If it doesn't go away I think I'll put a small piece of wine cork cut in half below my case to apply some pressure constantly in that area. It seems stupid, but it ain't stupid if it works I guess ?

• 1 year later...

I have a Fractal Design Meshify C case, one of the screw hole for the power supply bracket is off by a few mm, which lifts one side of the power supply slightly if screwed on.

It caused the PSU to vibrate against the bottom panel whenever the fan was on, after the paint wore off it started to produce a vibrating sound.

Unscrewing the faulty side letting the PSU fall to natural position solved it. The thin rubber pads on the bottom panel didn't help for some reason, and that wasn't even the place that touched and wore off iirc.

Also a second source of noise, the plastic piece inside PSU underneath the fan (Corsair RM750x, but lots of PSU have this plastic piece). Eliminated the buzzing sound by flipping the PSU as suggested by another post, fan facing upwards.

I confirmed it's the plastic by taking out the PSU, slap it, makes the same springy noise, touch the plastic with a screw driver, slap again, no noise.