Liquid or air cooling for new build?

Go to solution Solved by Tristerin,
5 hours ago, RTX-OFF said:

Hello,

I am planning to build my first PC and the case I am planning to use for my build is cooler master h500m. I won't do any custom loops for liquid cooling. What I wonder is whether the CPU will be better with an air or liquid cooler(I will use ml240r or ml360r top mounted, haven't decided yet). I want to use a liquid cooler as I prefer its looks over the air cooler, but I think in this case the air cooler will perform better, because the case has a good airflow. What I think is that I should set the liquid cooler to exaust the air from the top, this way I will have 2 front fans intake+LC fans exhaust+1 exhaust-rear, but then that air cooling the radiator will be heated up by the other components. My other option is to set the 2 200mm fans as exhaust and make the LC fans and the rear fan as intake, but then the GPU will suffer. 3rd option is to have the 2 200mm and LC fans set as intake and just 1 exhaust at the rear, but I am not sure if with this configuration there will be hot air trapped where the GPU is or the air will still dissipate, because of the pressure created in the case from the many intakes and it will quickly dissipate through the rear.

PS: I am planning to overclock the components. I also don't want to mount the radiator at the front because the heated air by the radiator will go to the GPU and I want the GPU to be as cool as possible.

Do you think I an air cooler will be better in this case, or using a LC as intake or exhaust?

Thanks for you help and suggestions.

AIO Coolers, for me, are so much more silent and why I use them now.  They actually, over time, are not as good as some of the best air coolers out there because the temps in the water normalize to a certain temp and takes hours to cool down post load. 

Intake v Exhaust you are spot on for a radiator - anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have a top mount or exhaust mount option on their case for their radiator (or they are enjoying eating their hot air and spinning all that already hot air on their components).  Don't worry about the secondary hot air going through as exhaust on the radiator, its negligible if you are intaking enough cool air.

I use 2 200mm, and 1 80mm in the 5.25 bays as intake (Evercool 2 x 5.25 bay HDD SSD adapter)

I use 2 120mm Exhausts through Radiator and 1 140mm exhaust at rear of case

I double stack GPU's and they stay nice and cool even though they are dual fan design each - the top card runs slightly hotter but that's to be expected.

Positive Air Pressure = more intake than exhaust

Neutral Air Pressure = same amounts of intake and exhaust

Negative Air Pressure = more exhaust than intake (and sucks in air through any crack it can in the case)

Each of them have benefits.  You should research those setups particularly in a PC case.  I did before finalizing my rig and my temps are BEAUTIFUL.  I do not worry about heat, or hot spots in my case whatsoever.

Hello,

I am planning to build my first PC and the case I am planning to use for my build is cooler master h500m. I won't do any custom loops for liquid cooling. What I wonder is whether the CPU will be better with an air or liquid cooler(I will use ml240r or ml360r top mounted, haven't decided yet). I want to use a liquid cooler as I prefer its looks over the air cooler, but I think in this case the air cooler will perform better, because the case has a good airflow. What I think is that I should set the liquid cooler to exaust the air from the top, this way I will have 2 front fans intake+LC fans exhaust+1 exhaust-rear, but then that air cooling the radiator will be heated up by the other components. My other option is to set the 2 200mm fans as exhaust and make the LC fans and the rear fan as intake, but then the GPU will suffer. 3rd option is to have the 2 200mm and LC fans set as intake and just 1 exhaust at the rear, but I am not sure if with this configuration there will be hot air trapped where the GPU is or the air will still dissipate, because of the pressure created in the case from the many intakes and it will quickly dissipate through the rear.

PS: I am planning to overclock the components. I also don't want to mount the radiator at the front because the heated air by the radiator will go to the GPU and I want the GPU to be as cool as possible.

Do you think I an air cooler will be better in this case, or using a LC as intake or exhaust?

Well, I didn't post it as it really doesn't matter much(maybe it does a bit on whether it is with soldered IHS or not and whether I plan deliding the CPU) as we are looking for best cooling peformance overall.

The CPU will be i9 9700k or i9 9900K.

The GPU will be 2080ti(msi gaming x trio) or 1080ti(gigabyte aorus triple fan).

4 minutes ago, RTX-OFF said:

Well, I didn't post it as it really doesn't matter much(maybe it does a bit on whether it is with soldered IHS or not and whether I plan deliding the CPU) as we are looking for best cooling peformance overall.

The CPU will be i9 9700k or i9 9900K.

The GPU will be 2080ti(msi gaming x trio) or 1080ti(gigabyte aorus triple fan).

Well the cpu does matter lmao, especially if you're planning on ocing, but for that build, I would recommend water cooled; however, if this is your first build, ehhhhhh. If you feel confident enough not to boof it, then sure, go for it, but if not, stick with air cooling

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

3 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Well the cpu does matter lmao, especially if you're planning on ocing, but for that build, I would recommend water cooled; however, if this is your first build, ehhhhhh. If you feel confident enough not to boof it, then sure, go for it, but if not, stick with air cooling

Thanks for taking your time typing your suggestion. Have a great day.

BTW what do you think is better, setting the fans as intake or exhaust when mounted on the top of the case?

1 minute ago, RTX-OFF said:

Thanks for taking your time typing your suggestion. Have a great day.

BTW what do you think is better, setting the fans as intake or exhaust when mounted on the top of the case?

Linus made a video about is called airflow test or something 

3 minutes ago, ZihanYu said:

Linus made a video about is called airflow test or something 

But this also depends on the case. In a different case a different fan/lc cooler configuration may work best.

8 minutes ago, RTX-OFF said:

Depends on your case and the number of fans you have. I would say, if you have a case that allows for 2x140 mm fans or 3x120mm fans in the front, then yes use the top as exhaust, but if it only allows for less than 2x120mm fans, then use it as intake. 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

28 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

Depends on your case and the number of fans you have. I would say, if you have a case that allows for 2x140 mm fans or 3x120mm fans in the front, then yes use the top as exhaust, but if it only allows for less than 2x120mm fans, then use it as intake. 

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

This, with the caveat that you need close to balanced airflow to make it work regardless.  If you intake with the top and the front, you need god exhaust to get all that air out.  Pumping air into a semi-closed space won't cool well.

I'd go intake front (fans or radiator) and exhaust on top and back to bring a nice flow of air over the backplate of the GPU, which will be nice and hot.   

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

IIRC water pumps take longer to heat up but also take longer to cool down, if you're doing CPU-intensive tasks then go overkill on water cooling. On the flip side with air cooling the heatsink immediately heats up but also immediately cools down which is important when the CPU is working for hours on end. With both you need proper air flow but more so with an air cooler than an AIO which should already have plenty of fans included. If you're just doing gaming then a $100 AIO or a $50 air cooler will be just fine.

5 hours ago, RTX-OFF said:

Hello,

AIO Coolers, for me, are so much more silent and why I use them now.  They actually, over time, are not as good as some of the best air coolers out there because the temps in the water normalize to a certain temp and takes hours to cool down post load. 

Intake v Exhaust you are spot on for a radiator - anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have a top mount or exhaust mount option on their case for their radiator (or they are enjoying eating their hot air and spinning all that already hot air on their components).  Don't worry about the secondary hot air going through as exhaust on the radiator, its negligible if you are intaking enough cool air.

I use 2 200mm, and 1 80mm in the 5.25 bays as intake (Evercool 2 x 5.25 bay HDD SSD adapter)

I double stack GPU's and they stay nice and cool even though they are dual fan design each - the top card runs slightly hotter but that's to be expected.

Negative Air Pressure = more exhaust than intake (and sucks in air through any crack it can in the case)

Each of them have benefits.  You should research those setups particularly in a PC case.  I did before finalizing my rig and my temps are BEAUTIFUL.  I do not worry about heat, or hot spots in my case whatsoever.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

3 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Perfect response, exactly what I needed :). I will go for an AIO cooler and after I am done with the build with some testing I will find out what type of air pressure will work best.

3 hours ago, xXxAdamxXx said:

IIRC water pumps take longer to heat up but also take longer to cool down, if you're doing CPU-intensive tasks then go overkill on water cooling. On the flip side with air cooling the heatsink immediately heats up but also immediately cools down which is important when the CPU is working for hours on end. With both you need proper air flow but more so with an air cooler than an AIO which should already have plenty of fans included. If you're just doing gaming then a $100 AIO or a $50 air cooler will be just fine.

Then I guess I will go with the ml240r, which is 240mm radiator with 2x 120mm fans.

Thanks everyone for giving out your suggestions.

2 minutes ago, RTX-OFF said:

Perfect response, exactly what I needed :). I will go for an AIO cooler and after I am done with the build with some testing I will find out what type of air pressure will work best.

Then I guess I will go with the ml240r, which is 240mm radiator with 2x 120mm fans.

Thanks everyone for giving out your suggestions.

Positive = Most Cold Air Possible In (means have dust covers on all intake fans - you are going to clean your PC a few times a year for sure)

Neutral = Balanced in and out, not the most optimal temps, but the cleanest - My Ryzen build I didn't open the case for a year.  Its set up as Neutral Air Pressure.  IMMACULATE on the inside after 1 year.  My dust screens did their job perfectly.

Negative = Most Hot Air Possible in the case being removed, but sucking in air through every crevice it can find which means you don't have ways to stop that dust incoming so this process typically ensures no HOT SPOTS building up in less drafty areas of the case, but to me, this is the most dirty.  It also means you are putting pressure on your exhaust fans trying to pull in air from places that are tight.

Just some pointers I gleaned while researching and coming to my Positive Pressure preference.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

On 10/16/2018 at 6:46 PM, RTX-OFF said:

Hello,

I hope this video will answer your concerns.. Enjoy..

Additional hint: Slap it on the front as intake.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs: