Apple's brand

Lil Ramen
Message added by SansVarnic

Please remember to maintain a civil discussion, though this topic has a tendency for some flame comment, any will be removed.

To me Apple products appeal to people who just want something that requires minimal maintenance and thinking and "just works" with the added benefit of it being "fashionable"

Let me preface my response with this statement. I've owned apple computers (and devices) since I was a little kid. I saw apple go from "barely scraping by" to "top of the world" to "where it is now." In my entire life, there have only been a few years where I haven't owned an apple computer.

I used to work in an apple repair shop (for fun, my mom worked there and I tagged along and they let me fix things. (And they let me use their T1 internet to use napster...excuse me... MACSTER to download songs.)) Apple USED to be "easy to repair" and "well built." Remember the colorful iMacs? Those things were the easiest computers to repair. You removed a few screws and a huge tray pulled out of the machine giving you access to the HDD and CD drive and other things. It was SIMPLE. I read a steve jobs book (I forget which.) Apple USED to have a philosophy that there should be two lines of computers, consumer and professional. Hence the "Macbook" and "Macbook Pro". And there should only be two types of computers, laptops and desktops. For a while, they kept to this philosophy. They had the Mac Pro, iMac, Macbook, and Macbook Pro. 4 computers. Simple. Then... it got complicated. Admittedly not as complicated as dell or any mass produced PC, but still, more complicated. 

Honestly ever since steve died I personally (as a mac fanboy) think that Apple is going further from making "good computers" and closer to making "fashion computers." And the sad thing is that I see WHY they're doing it. It's making them hella money. Why make the best computers when you can just make adequate computers but make them REALLY COOL so everyone buys them? The mac tax isn't... really a thing (linus himself proved this) but it still is very hard to buy a high performance mac without having thermal issues. Seriously, why not just build a freaking normal computer tower than can be upgraded by the user? Why is apple suddenly against user upgrading things? Sure, it probably makes them money from the millions of people who buy their crap and don't know anything about computers, but still, it's disheartening. I haven't wanted to buy a NEW mac for years. I haven't bought a new mac in over a decade. I do own two macs (and many more PCs), but they were both purchased used. One of them is a beast iMac with an i7 and 32 gigs of ram from 2012, and one of them is a unibody Macbook from 2007. They both work as advertised. I still love OS X. I still love the unix architecture. I program in bash very often. But I HATE the apple "ecosystem." I hate what they have become.

All I want is a new G5 Mac in a tower case with user upgrade-ability. (Without all the silly backwards board and proprietary fans/parts) Is that so hard to do? 

I personally think that apple is going to run into problems soon with computers (although their phone sales will always keep them afloat.) I think that eventually their computers with aging hardware won't be able to perform adequately to justify buying a mac over a PC. Then all the video editors and photo editors will leave. 

last couple of years apple has cared more about there stock market value over the quality of products or the innovation of it, there also working more on making there product completely apple and not using anyone else's parts, I don't know if you guys have read the same thing but I was reading that apple is looking into making its own cpu's for its computers I think they said they wanted to start using there own by 2020. there caring more about the profit margin they get from there devices now more then they ever have. hense why the price raised on devices that weren't really that much more amazing then the last, apples playing catch up now a days to brands like Samsung where before they were the ones in the lead,  the only reason  I still use a iPhone is because of imessage and that there phones are so encrypted, if android had its own version of imessage that worked well, and if they were as stringet about no one opening up the phone other then the consumer that bought it I would have switched awile ago, in fact those are the only things that even keep me buying the phones, once the competition, starts doing those I will stop using a iPhone right away. how about you guys what makes you buy a apple product????   by the way I only use there phones im not interested in the least in anything else they have,   also if the new imac pro  labtop isn't one of the best ways to show how apple has lost the lead   when you compare it to the surface book 2, then idk any beter way of showing how apple has lost its innovative touch,  the book2 costs pretty much the exact same but does 30 things the imac couldn't ever imagine. 

53 minutes ago, Soulsreaper said:

last couple of years apple has cared more about there stock market value over the quality of products or the innovation of it, there also working more on making there product completely apple and not using anyone else's parts, I don't know if you guys have read the same thing but I was reading that apple is looking into making its own cpu's for its computers I think they said they wanted to start using there own by 2020. there caring more about the profit margin they get from there devices now more then they ever have. hense why the price raised on devices that weren't really that much more amazing then the last, apples playing catch up now a days to brands like Samsung where before they were the ones in the lead,  the only reason  I still use a iPhone is because of imessage and that there phones are so encrypted, if android had its own version of imessage that worked well, and if they were as stringet about no one opening up the phone other then the consumer that bought it I would have switched awile ago, in fact those are the only things that even keep me buying the phones, once the competition, starts doing those I will stop using a iPhone right away. how about you guys what makes you buy a apple product????   by the way I only use there phones im not interested in the least in anything else they have,   also if the new imac pro  labtop isn't one of the best ways to show how apple has lost the lead   when you compare it to the surface book 2, then idk any beter way of showing how apple has lost its innovative touch,  the book2 costs pretty much the exact same but does 30 things the imac couldn't ever imagine. 

I got the new MBP, one major thing to me is the cooling on this, it is so well deisgned (on the 13in) two fans, pretty much can do most normal things at 90 degrees F. They have a very well designed case, and the resale is a ton. (i got a MBP 2011 and sold it on ebay for $200) andI personally like Mac Os. Battery is pretty great as well. 

23 hours ago, rado33 said:

Let me preface my response with this statement. I've owned apple computers (and devices) since I was a little kid. I saw apple go from "barely scraping by" to "top of the world" to "where it is now." In my entire life, there have only been a few years where I haven't owned an apple computer.

I used to work in an apple repair shop (for fun, my mom worked there and I tagged along and they let me fix things. (And they let me use their T1 internet to use napster...excuse me... MACSTER to download songs.)) Apple USED to be "easy to repair" and "well built." Remember the colorful iMacs? Those things were the easiest computers to repair. You removed a few screws and a huge tray pulled out of the machine giving you access to the HDD and CD drive and other things. It was SIMPLE. I read a steve jobs book (I forget which.) Apple USED to have a philosophy that there should be two lines of computers, consumer and professional. Hence the "Macbook" and "Macbook Pro". And there should only be two types of computers, laptops and desktops. For a while, they kept to this philosophy. They had the Mac Pro, iMac, Macbook, and Macbook Pro. 4 computers. Simple. Then... it got complicated. Admittedly not as complicated as dell or any mass produced PC, but still, more complicated. 

Honestly ever since steve died I personally (as a mac fanboy) think that Apple is going further from making "good computers" and closer to making "fashion computers." And the sad thing is that I see WHY they're doing it. It's making them hella money. Why make the best computers when you can just make adequate computers but make them REALLY COOL so everyone buys them? The mac tax isn't... really a thing (linus himself proved this) but it still is very hard to buy a high performance mac without having thermal issues. Seriously, why not just build a freaking normal computer tower than can be upgraded by the user? Why is apple suddenly against user upgrading things? Sure, it probably makes them money from the millions of people who buy their crap and don't know anything about computers, but still, it's disheartening. I haven't wanted to buy a NEW mac for years. I haven't bought a new mac in over a decade. I do own two macs (and many more PCs), but they were both purchased used. One of them is a beast iMac with an i7 and 32 gigs of ram from 2012, and one of them is a unibody Macbook from 2007. They both work as advertised. I still love OS X. I still love the unix architecture. I program in bash very often. But I HATE the apple "ecosystem." I hate what they have become.

All I want is a new G5 Mac in a tower case with user upgrade-ability. (Without all the silly backwards board and proprietary fans/parts) Is that so hard to do? 

I personally think that apple is going to run into problems soon with computers (although their phone sales will always keep them afloat.) I think that eventually their computers with aging hardware won't be able to perform adequately to justify buying a mac over a PC. Then all the video editors and photo editors will leave. 

Apple has always had a very simple psychology I feel. Their computers all have the exact same aesthetic, very interconnected. So if you have an iPhone, Apple Watch and Macbook, if you're looking for a desktop PC or a non-mobile PC, it makes the most sense to buy something like a 5k iMac or an older iMac used. Their pro and consumer grid would work insanely well when put to the test. The last Macbook Pro I think really looks professional is the 2012 / 2011 Macbook Pro. Their new 2018 Macbook Pro doesn't have me look at someone and think "they're a professional". They still have simple designs with just a few materials.

Also they shouldn't go back to PowerPC, I don't think so. 

They did mention possibly having an upgradable iMac Pro for prosumers. 

Maybe they should bring back the Mac Pro. Tho apparently the trashcan mac can be upgraded a lot. 

5 hours ago, Lil Ramen said:

Apple has always had a very simple psychology I feel. Their computers all have the exact same aesthetic, very interconnected. So if you have an iPhone, Apple Watch and Macbook, if you're looking for a desktop PC or a non-mobile PC, it makes the most sense to buy something like a 5k iMac or an older iMac used. Their pro and consumer grid would work insanely well when put to the test. The last Macbook Pro I think really looks professional is the 2012 / 2011 Macbook Pro. Their new 2018 Macbook Pro doesn't have me look at someone and think "they're a professional". They still have simple designs with just a few materials.

Also they shouldn't go back to PowerPC, I don't think so. 

They did mention possibly having an upgradable iMac Pro for prosumers. 

Maybe they should bring back the Mac Pro. Tho apparently the trashcan mac can be upgraded a lot. 

The trashcan mac was crap. It was built to support dual GPUs, but most people couldn't afford that. Because of the missing GPU, the cooling system didn't work right. Not to mention it hasn't seen an update in over 3 years. I HOPE that the iMac pro is just a stopgap measure before they release a REAL Mac Pro WORKSTATION. 

We don't WANT an upgradeable iMac. That's just going to have thermal issues. We don't CARE if the computer has fans and you can actually hear it. Just build a god damn normal freaking desktop computer.