Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
firelighter487

has anybody got Overwatch to run smoothly on Linux yet?

i installled my 780Ti and the nvidia drivers, and now i got it to work. Overwatch using DXVK at low to medium settings 60fps. with occasional stutters but i didn't notice them that much. i still had a lot of fun playing. 

 

the only problem now is that my blizzard app is broken. i need to launch the game manually. but i'll figure that out. can't be too difficult. 

 

but besides that it's working now. 

 

i don't really mind having to play at medium or low settings. to me the convenience of not having to dual-boot is way more important. 

 

*disclaimer* i don't play competitive, so if you do your experience may be worse considering it does still stutter sometimes *disclaimer*

 

@Lukyp @Radium_Angel @NelizMastr massive thanks for all the help :) 

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Wendell showed Overwatch running on Linux with Wine in a video before, i'm just wondering how he did it. if i can run Overwatch on Linux i never have to dual-boot again... 


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZihanYu said:

Just get Chinese windows knock-off

Yeah, that doesn't really help anything.


PC:

CPU: Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9GHz

GPU: EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 1080

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

PSU: CORSAIR CX750M V2

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400STG

MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac

OS: Windows 10 Pro

MAC:

CPU: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

GPU:: Intel HD4000

RAM: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

HDD: 1TB 5400RPM

PSU: Some Mac Mini PSU

Case: Some Mac Mini Case

MOBO: Some Mac Motherboard

OS: macOS "Mojave"

 

Consoles: Wii, SNES, NES, N64, Atari 7800, Commodore VIC-20, Genesis, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, 2DS, and GBA

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Wendell showed Overwatch running on Linux with Wine in a video before, i'm just wondering how he did it. if i can run Overwatch on Linux i never have to dual-boot again... 

I assume you have tried to install it via wine?


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly it runs very well via Lutris and DXVK, try that. Pure wine is and will always be a disaster.


PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X MSI X370 Gaming Plus 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 - GTX1070Ti FE 600p 256GB & M550 512GB & 860 Evo 500GB Fractal Define R5 CM V550 W8.1 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I assume you have tried to install it via wine?

It won't open the installer.

 

8 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Supposedly it runs very well via Lutris and DXVK, try that. Pure wine is and will always be a disaster.

I tried lutris and same thing. It won't open the installer....


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

It won't open the installer.

 

I tried lutris and same thing. It won't open the installer....

You are running the proper linux distro yes? I see manjaro on your sig...may not be fully fleshed out there...might need Ubuntu.

 


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

You are running the proper linux distro yes? I see manjaro on your sig...may not be fully fleshed out there...might need Ubuntu.

 

what exactly do you mean?


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Supposedly it runs very well via Lutris and DXVK, try that. Pure wine is and will always be a disaster.

i didn't read properly and didn't install the dependencies before. it's now downloading Overwatch. fingers crossed it runs well.


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
24 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

In other words, what distro are you running?

Manjaro

 

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Supposedly it runs very well via Lutris and DXVK, try that. Pure wine is and will always be a disaster.

ok with DXVK my cpu goes to 100% and max frame rate is 23fps, with loads of tearing and input lag. 

 

on DX11 mode it runs ok in the menu's but there's a lot of stuttering in game. 


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

ok i've taken out my rx460 because it was messing with the radeon drivers or something idk, and now DX11 runs much better, although still with stuttering... 

 

the DXVK version doesn't open now. if i try to launch the game it says no compatible graphics hardware found. 


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

ok i've taken out my rx460 because it was messing with the radeon drivers or something idk, and now DX11 runs much better, although still with stuttering... 

 

the DXVK version doesn't open now. if i try to launch the game it says no compatible graphics hardware found. 

Yeah, welcome to the world of running non-standard games in a non-standard way, on a non-standard OS.

In other words, you are probably on your own here....


So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah, welcome to the world of running non-standard games in a non-standard way, on a non-standard OS.

In other words, you are probably on your own here....

If Windows would be a standardized OS there will probably be a serious monopoly antitrust issue. 

 

16 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

ok i've taken out my rx460 because it was messing with the radeon drivers or something idk, and now DX11 runs much better, although still with stuttering... 

 

the DXVK version doesn't open now. if i try to launch the game it says no compatible graphics hardware found. 

Probably because it is using another driver. Check the DXVK F.A.Q. for AMD card, you probably need to update mesa to the latest version, which driver are you using check MHWD? 

Also check the Lutris github overwatch page. https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/Game:-Overwatch Check the "AMD" Section.

On my 1060 its running at 110 fps, the fact you are not even able to run the lutris installer is strange. Also check this https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/Game:-Blizzard-App

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
47 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Probably because it is using another driver. Check the DXVK F.A.Q. for AMD card, you probably need to update mesa to the latest version, which driver are you using check MHWD? 

mhwd didn't give me useful info. output from lspci -nnv:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] [1002:67b0] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] R9 290X Gaming [1462:3080]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 127
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
    Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
    I/O ports at e000
    Memory at f7e00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
 

 

when i try to install mesa i get this:

 

warning: mesa-18.2.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) mesa-18.2.2-1

Total Installed Size:  47,94 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0,00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

 

is mesa up to date then?

 

47 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

On my 1060 its running at 110 fps, the fact you are not even able to run the lutris installer is strange. Also check this https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/Game:-Blizzard-App

i got it to run, i didn't read the dependencies section on lutris :P 

i installed them and now the blizzard app runs, but Overwatch still has issues.


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, firelighter487 said:

mhwd didn't give me useful info. output from lspci -nnv:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] [1002:67b0] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] R9 290X Gaming [1462:3080]
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 127
    Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
    Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable)
    I/O ports at e000
    Memory at f7e00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: radeon
    Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
 

 

when i try to install mesa i get this:

 

warning: mesa-18.2.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) mesa-18.2.2-1

Total Installed Size:  47,94 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0,00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

 

is mesa up to date then?

 

i got it to run, i didn't read the dependencies section on lutris :P 

i installed them and now the blizzard app runs, but Overwatch still has issues.

You are using radeon, it is bad and old. You have to uninstall it, you need to use amdgpu. Check the Manjaro gui settings manager
Risultati immagini per manjaro settings hardware

It is a GUI like that, you have to install AMDGPU and remove Radeon (it is not necessary to use the proprietary AMDGPUPRO, just the open source amdgpu one

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
48 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

You are using radeon, it is bad and old. You have to uninstall it, you need to use amdgpu. Check the Manjaro gui settings manager
Risultati immagini per manjaro settings hardware

It is a GUI like that, you have to install AMDGPU and remove Radeon (it is not necessary to use the proprietary AMDGPUPRO, just the open source amdgpu one

i removed the one it was using and installed the other one, rebooted and i had black screens. xorg would no longer start. i logged into console and checked , i was using the amdgpu driver. i had to use the cli version of mhwd to install radeon again and now i can log into the gui again... 


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i removed the one it was using and installed the other one, rebooted and i had black screens. xorg would no longer start. i logged into console and checked , i was using the amdgpu driver. i had to use the cli version of mhwd to install radeon again and now i can log into the gui again... 

Uh really strange, I'm absolutely sure that card supports the amdgpu driver, is xf86-video-amdgpu installed?
Yes you can revert back to another driver with mhwd, but for that card radeon is considered legacy, amdgpu supports all GCN AMD gpu's, I had an r9 280 in the past which perfectly worked with it, i used radeon previously but the performance were not great as amdgpu

Also, make sure the linux-firmware package is installed as well

 

also check dmesg for any amdgpu/video card releated error, if a firmware is missing, the solution is installing linux-firmware as I said above.

If nothing worked, try that: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU read under Enable Southern Islands (SI) and Sea Islands (CIK) support (You got an SI card)

Try adding to /etc/default/grub 

  • radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1 

as a kernel parameter after 

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash ", so GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1"

 


Then update-grub and reboot

Edited by Lukyp
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Uh really strange, I'm absolutely sure that card supports the amdgpu driver, is xf86-video-amdgpu installed?
Yes you can revert back to another driver with mhwd, but for that card radeon is considered legacy, amdgpu supports all GCN AMD gpu's, I had an r9 280 in the past which perfectly worked with it, i used radeon previously but the performance were not great as amdgpu

Also, make sure the linux-firmware package is installed as well

 

also check dmesg for any amdgpu/video card releated error, if a firmware is missing, the solution is installing linux-firmware as I said above.

i installed xf86-video-amdgpu and removed everything else. linux-firmweare is installed, and still it's using radeon. 


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i installed xf86-video-amdgpu and removed everything else. linux-firmweare is installed, and still it's using radeon. 

I edited the post, follow the other direction, that kernel parameter may be needed.

I remembered I did something like that in the past, however its strange manjaro don't do those things by default

Edited by Lukyp
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I edited the post, follow the other direction, that kernel parameter may be needed.

I remembered I did something like that in the past, however its strange manjaro don't do those things by default

edited grub, still nope. it's still using radeon. 


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

edited grub, still nope. it's still using radeon. 

Uh wait, before you said it was using amdgpu..? 

lsmod | grep radeon, if you find radeon yes, it is using the old one

lsmod | grep amdgpu, it is using the amdgpu ones, if you put those kernel parameters you should be able to go

well actually both can be loaded, the first it just the one which is being used..

 

Oh anyway the arch wiki says:

"

Even when AMDGPU support for SI/CIK has been enabled by the kernel, the radeon driver may be used instead of the AMDGPU driver.

To make sure the amdgpu is loaded first use the following Mkinitcpio#MODULES array, e.g. MODULES=(amdgpu radeon)."
"

You know to do that, right? edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
in the MODULES section, add amdgpu and radeon. follow this particular order

you should have something like that
image.png.aeacce8e2d5b751a0222a2485c15f82b.png

 

 

Now, rebuild the initramfs with "sudo mkinitcpio -P" then reboot

Edited by Lukyp
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Uh wait, before you said it was using amdgpu..? 

yes, but then it wouldn't boot into xorg for some reason. 

 

6 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Now, rebuild the initramfs with "mkinitcpio -P" then reboot

sudo: mkinitcpio: command not found


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

sudo: mkinitcpio: command not found

What...??? That program must be present on arch-like distros...Are you sure? Maybe you written that uncorrectly 
image.png.bdd891756aac78fc1ea78a819ff841e3.png
 

Edited by Lukyp
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

What...??? That program must be present on arch-like distros...Are you sure? Maybe you written that uncorrectly 

1323641237_Screenshotfrom2018-10-1219-55-10.png.72940dca7e72beff31abd3b9b5d4ea51.png127072042_Screenshotfrom2018-10-1219-55-38.png.c657730d96cbe696cf0c7b390cc67c99.png


DISCLAIMER: ANYTHING I SAY COULD BE WRONG. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!

THIS STATUS CHANGES OVER TIME. REFERENCES TO IT ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE. 

PC: i5 7400 | GTX 780Ti | 2x 240GB SSD | 16GB RAM | AX860 | Manjaro

MACBOOK PRO: I7 2675QM | HD 3000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Manjaro

KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR K95 RGPLATINUM (MX BROWN) | CORSAIR M65 PRO RGB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×