Cooler Master H500M front panel I/O not working

Go to solution Solved by kb5zue,

Right off the bat, I can see in the first pic that the PLED+ and PLED- are backwards.  As for the power switch, never heard of a reset switch plugging into a separate PCB so I would try plugging the reset switch into the mobo.  You have nothing to loose.  The reset switch is actually not a "switch" but just a momentary contact button.  Also, in the first pic, what are the two wires connected underneath the PLED+ and PLED- wires?

I am trying to connect my case's front panel power button and other front panel I/O to my motherboard. See this page for a picture of what I/O exists on my case: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/mastercase-h500m/

See page 22 of the manual for all information about the front I/O connectors that exists in the case manual.

See page 1-21 of my motherboard manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA/E13427_ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA_UM_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.146811831.1486131050.1533935187-553127753.1531639343 for where the front panel I/O is supposed to go.

I have hooked up the power switch, power led, and activity led as shown below, and attached that connector to the bottom right header of my motherboard.

IMG_3811.thumb.jpeg.88af888c5bd301d8cefaf32ef4d8bf2d.jpegIMG_3812.thumb.jpeg.398001b01644ce17774e61df39e9badd.jpeg

This results in a non-functional power switch. I suspected that I also needed to attach the reset button, so I went hunting for that cable, and it turns out it is attached to a separate pcb on the back left of my case. see next pic: 

IMG_3813.thumb.jpeg.c8cdd6005bbaeb50ca93145cac0658c0.jpeg

Since my motherboard seems to want the "RESET SW" plugged directly into my motherboard, but the case and the manual have the reset switch plugged into this pcb, where should the reset switch actually be plugged in and how do I get my power button working?

image.png

System

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8086K 4GHz 6-Core Processor

GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 850W PSU, BWG850M

Storage: C Drive – Samsung - 970 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram

All-In-One: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid-Tower

Right off the bat, I can see in the first pic that the PLED+ and PLED- are backwards.  As for the power switch, never heard of a reset switch plugging into a separate PCB so I would try plugging the reset switch into the mobo.  You have nothing to loose.  The reset switch is actually not a "switch" but just a momentary contact button.  Also, in the first pic, what are the two wires connected underneath the PLED+ and PLED- wires?

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

The power is also flipped but that shouldn't matter. Are the headers matching up with the connectors on your motherboard?

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

5 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Ha, found the location for the reset button.  It is the two contacts under the power button.  Check out the pic in your manual on page 1-21.  It shows you where they go.

The direction of the power button won't matter because it is just a momentary contact but for the PLED contacts, they do matter because if they are incorrect like shown in the first pic, it won't work.  The Light-Emitting Diode that is the PLED is a diode and current only flows in one direction with a diode.  It prevents current from flowing in the wrong direction so if the contact is backwards, the PLED won't come on.

3 hours ago, kb5zue said:

The direction of the power button won't matter because it is just a momentary contact but for the PLED contacts, they do matter because if they are incorrect like shown in the first pic, it won't work.  The Light-Emitting Diode that is the PLED is a diode and current only flows in one direction with a diode.  It prevents current from flowing in the wrong direction so if the contact is backwards, the PLED won't come on.

BINGO.

@Erwins Kitten

The Power LED+ needs to be connected to the PLED+.

The Power LED- needs to be connect to the PLED-.

If the voltage going to the LED is negative (e..g. wires hooked up backwards), the LED will not turn on.

Blue = voltage cycling from (+) to (-).

Green = LED current...being on and off.

LED.PNG

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

I have reversed the backwards leads, moved the reset switch, and, for some reason, after an unplug and replug, the power button, reset button, and leds now work! Thanks all!

System

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8086K 4GHz 6-Core Processor

GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card

RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 850W PSU, BWG850M

Storage: C Drive – Samsung - 970 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Grease Paste - 1.0 Gram

All-In-One: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid-Tower

1 hour ago, Erwins Kitten said:

I have reversed the backwards leads, moved the reset switch, and, for some reason, after an unplug and replug, the power button, reset button, and leds now work! Thanks all!

I'm glad that we were able to help and that you were able to get it to work.  That is what this forum is all about.  Good Job.

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 9:53 PM, Erwins Kitten said:

I’m having the same problem. I have the PLED in the correct locations and on my motherboard but can’t the power light to display. I think it’s has to do with something from the reset switch. Where did you connect the reset switch too?