Canada's first eSports stadium to be opened in Richmond BC!

MrrMoose
5 hours ago, Hellion said:

Your still ignoring the definition of the word that is the most prominent part of "esports". Rather then accepting that the name is ridiculous because it has little to nothing in common with actual sports, you're attempting to justify the term by substituting your own make believe reality and a bunch of excuses.

So far we have determined that there is no physically demanding element involved, no life long commitment, no valuable skill set that makes the participants employable for large dollar figures and I'm sure if we continue the list will go on.

By your standard of "language evolves so definitions mean nothing",  I guess we might as well start calling board games "bsports", crossword puzzles "csports" and model building "msports".

Excuse me while I take my suit to the tailor so he can perform some "ssports".

This is essentially the logic behind what your argumention has become...

Have you looked at a dictionary from 100 or even 50 years ago? Or even just watched an old film? We talk differently and use words differently. Some words have taken on meanings that are the opposite of what they meant before. Definitions mean something but it's essentially a snapshot of what it is now and based on what the authors deem the most accurate use of the words. That's why dictionaries get updated at all.

Some dictionaries describe sports as requiring skill and physical exertion, others say or. So which one is correct? I assume the one you'll pick.

The physical exertion is very limited but the so called lifelong commitment is there and the money is there in some form but growing. If the money is such an important factor then most sports aren't sports because athletes struggle to make money. The money involved relies on audience. Some sports only get a casual glance at the Olympics. Regardless, the skill element is certainly there.

Your childish understanding of linguistics doesn't really help cultivate healthy discussion, does it?

The term esports was coined to separate it from ordinary sports precisely because the physical element isn't really a factor (beyond hand-eye coordination and reaction time). Again, esports hits all the points except physical hence the new word. Otherwise it'd just be called sports. We can go back to the email bit and shit on that for making a mockery of mail delivery and hard working people at the post office but we don't do that, do we? Why don't we? Because these aren't people you've put on a pedestal. Well, it isn't really viewed the same way anyway, so moving beyond being facetious it all comes back to coming up with an accurate enough term to facilitate quick and easy understanding and we've got that and have had it for a while. It wasn't an issue until it started going more mainstream.

There are bigger and more important battles so why this is the one to get you worked up on behalf of athletes is beyond me. Athletes who in some instances play in their downtime and some with these so called usurpers you dislike. If they don't give a shit, why should you? There is no harm to sports beyond worry that there will be. There are already plenty sports that according to either your definition or the dictionary definition aren't sports but get described and marketed as such and no one cares. I think the difference here is you genuinely fear how big it'll become so you wish to stop it before it leaves the track but there is no stopping it. It's a product of a modern world and, unlike many other things of this era, it has staying power.

I think you just have to accept it at this point because eventually everyone will. And even if you won't, it doesn't matter. It'll still chug along.

10 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Because riding a roller coaster you literally cannot crash or drive faster is as easy as riding a motorcycle at 200 kph and cornering with all of your body. 

I was being facetious.

17 hours ago, Hellion said:

So are we going to start calling chess a sport now too? At what point does it become completely ridiculous?

The new generation taking part in something like lan tournaments need to understand that sitting at a computer is no where near comparable to what a real athlete does. Quite frankly I'd find it offensive to listen to these fools try and justify this stance if I was a professional athlete.

I knew someone would try a slippery slope argument.  "If you accept video games as sports, then anything is a sport!"

No.  I never argued for that; I even explicitly ruled out purely intellectual exercises like chess.  If a competitive activity is dependent on physical dexterity and rewards coaching and training, then there's a good chance it's a sport.  Just because you're sitting down doesn't mean it isn't a sport -- by your definition, we must automatically declare that motorsports aren't sports, because all they're doing is turning a wheel and pushing pedals.  You see the problem here?  I'd certainly agree that games aren't athletic, but not all sports are athletics.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I knew someone would try a slippery slope argument.  "If you accept video games as sports, then anything is a sport!"

No.  I never argued for that; I even explicitly ruled out purely intellectual exercises like chess.  If a competitive activity is dependent on physical dexterity and rewards coaching and training, then there's a good chance it's a sport.  Just because you're sitting down doesn't mean it isn't a sport -- by your definition, we must automatically declare that motorsports aren't sports, because all they're doing is turning a wheel and pushing pedals.  You see the problem here?  I'd certainly agree that games aren't athletic, but not all sports are athletics.

He did previously say motor sports aren't sports but an activity so yeah he'll claim that.

13 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

It's almost as if words can change their meanings over time...

Yes, like when corporations decided to call 2160p 4k.

That was beyond the bounds of logic too.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

2 hours ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

Yes, like when corporations decided to call 2160p 4k.

That was beyond the bounds of logic too.

Actually 2160p is both 4K and UHD (technically). 2160p describes the vertical pixels and it's the same for both standards. Horizontally, one is 4096 and the other is 3840.

The esports argument is a very boring and old debate.. it also has been debated a thousand times in the past and the argumentative points are well established. It does NOT need to show up everytime there is news about something related to esports.. Please keep to the topic of the article 

13 hours ago, Hellion said:

-snip-

So we go by definitions, right? Then American football should be your first victim. It isn't a ball nor do you really use your feet in most play. Yet you call it a ball despite it defying all definitions. Get the firing squad. Oh wait. Language is fluid and decided by the people ultimately. So football it is.

I've seen athletes hanging out with pro gamers and participating together in various things. One would assume it would be off limits if they felt strongly about it. Although I imagine there exists narrow-minded athletes who do.

However I doubt there has been surveys so who knows. I doubt top athletes are that insecure in most cases. It does usually require confidence to perform at that level.

Yes, shutting down your arguments means it's antics and poor comprehension. That makes sense. Maybe if you'll stick your fingers in your ears while yelling loudly enough you'll become immune to new ideas so you can preserve your small world.

I know I'm not going to change your mind. You've displayed you're narrow-minded in multiple threads as if it was an admirable quality.

You may call it whatever you like. It's your choice but it needs a lot more people to use it to get into a dictionary. I'm only sad that you should live up to the stereotype of driving a truck but luckily you're an individual and I'm sure some truck drivers would welcome open discussion and like new ideas. However I'm not sure why you're even telling me this. Other than a funny piece of trivia, it adds nothing. Except of course if it was bait in which case: good one.

Since you don't know how dictionaries work, I don't think you know how logic works either but maybe you'll surprise me eventually.

By the way let me shake the foundation of your existence one more time: esports is in the dictionary.

Edit: just for future reference and as a sort of public service announcement to all who may find this thread.

It's called esports not because it's sports but because it's modeled after sports. You create a competitive environment requiring skill, dexterity and sometimes team play and tactics. You put it into tournaments and leagues with prizes (money, trophies, medals etc) and placings. You add commentators, analysts and press. You create a professional environment with money, practice and coaching. You do all these things (and probably many more) that they do in sports but then you take out physical exertion and put it into a virtual environment. That's where the fork in the road is. That's why it has a new name. Otherwise we'd just call it sports but even if it was a sport we'd all want the distinction anyway. And the distinction is very evident in the name. There is no way to misunderstand the word for sports since the first syllable is unmistakeably 'e'.

Fun fact though: many pro gamers exercise and work out as part of their practice routines because it improves performance; exercise has been proven to improve performance in mentally demanding tasks.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

So we go by definitions, right? Then American football should be your first victim. It isn't a ball nor do you really use your feet in most play. Yet you call it a ball despite it defying all definitions

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ball

A football is an ovoid ball that measures 1 foot from point to point, thus, football is correct by definition.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, NMS said:

I found a few issues in that sentence.

Indeed. 

Although to be fair it was the Americans who coopted the word ball for their oblong object. Since it's in widespread use, American dictionaries or definitions would have to include it in the definition but others don't - even if technically wrong on most or all accounts.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Indeed. 

Although to be fair it was the Americans who coopted the word ball for their oblong object. Since it's in widespread use, American dictionaries or definitions would have to include it in the definition but others don't - even if technically wrong on most or all accounts.

That's why I like thinking of it as carrying an egg in the hand for 100 meters and trying to evade a head injury.

#'MuricanFootball

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

1 hour ago, NMS said:

I found a few issues in that sentence.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_English_Dictionary

The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) is the main historical dictionary of the English language, published by the Oxford University Press.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Can we get back to the subject, accept that "eSports" is a legitimate and functional term, and be happy that Canada has at least one venue dedicated to competitive gaming?

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Indeed. So if I put an egg and a water melon on a table, asked you to grab the ball-shaped object, you'd grab the egg. Probably not. If I put an egg and a banana there, you'd probably tell me there isn't one. It's only in the context of American football that there is an exception to the rule.

It really is only added because Americans have called an oblong object a ball despite it not being a ball. Why call it a ball then? Because it's an object which is very much used like a ball in the sport. It's taken on the role as a ball and serves its purpose better than a ball would because it's easier to carry due to its shape. It's simpler to call it a ball instead of inventing a new term to describe an object sharing the same purpose.

Language is funny like that.

Love how posts on this forum are constantly deleted by over zealous mods that have fits any time they see something that dosn't fit their personal narritive...

Anyway,  I heard of this new fad where you stick your head into a spinning ceiling fan.

We can call it "fsports" no one will care and the small minority that do are close minded and can't accept change. It's their problem.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 hour ago, Hellion said:

Love how posts on this forum are constantly deleted by over zealous mods that have fits any time they see something that dosn't fit their personal narritive...

Anyway,  I heard of this new fad where you stick your head into a spinning ceiling fan.

We can call it "fsports" no one will care and the small minority that do are close minded and can't accept change. It's their problem.

In theory you could. The word 'sport' derives from the Middle English word 'disport' meaning pastime or entertainment. You can add any prefix you like to change the meaning of the word. The biggest problem is that 'f' isn't an accepted prefix whereas 'e' means electronic. Same reason you can add that prefix to mail or commerce without problems.

So you'd have to explain what the prefix 'f' means and then have it find widespread use over a significant period of time and it'll end up in various literature (eg. a dictionary) some day. However I find it unlikely that 'f' would be accepted since it serves little purpose nor do I think there's any sporting element for it to piggyback off of.