Computer Freezing Without BSOD

My computer has recently started freezing without a BSOD or any sort of failure message. When it freezes I would check to see if when I press NumPad if the NumPad indicator on my keyboard would change or not. 

Once the freeze happens it would not change, my mouse would not be visible on the screen and I would hear a glitchy noise in my headphones. Once this has happened I would have to manually restart the pc for it to be used again and just for it to happen in an almost endless loop

11 minutes ago, Etern1ty said:

My computer has recently started freezing without a BSOD or any sort of failure message. When it freezes I would check to see if when I press NumPad if the NumPad indicator on my keyboard would change or not. 

Once the freeze happens it would not change, my mouse would not be visible on the screen and I would hear a glitchy noise in my headphones. Once this has happened I would have to manually restart the pc for it to be used again and just for it to happen in an almost endless loop

Can you please provide a list of your components (CPU, motherboard, etc) and also your internal peripherals (wireless cards, sound cards, etc)?

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

8 minutes ago, LionSpeck said:

Can you please provide a list of your components (CPU, motherboard, etc) and also your internal peripherals (wireless cards, sound cards, etc)?

A8 5600k 3.6ghz

Palit GTX 1050ti

8 GB Ram 1333mhz

MSI FM2-A55M-E55

WD10EZEX 1tb HDD

No internal peripherals

1 minute ago, Etern1ty said:

A8 5600k 3.6ghz

Palit GTX 1050ti

8 GB Ram 1333mhz

MSI FM2-A55M-E55

WD10EZEX 1tb HDD

Has this started happening after an event you can recall or just randomly? Also, is there some pattern you can think of that may cause the freezes? Like during a game, high CPU load, high GPU load...

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

Replace the hard drive and test that.

I'm willing to bet 99% on the failing drive.

Just now, LionSpeck said:

Has this started happening after an event you can recall or just randomly? Also, is there some pattern you can think of that may cause the freezes? Like during a game, high CPU load, high GPU load...

I can't recall any kind of significant event that may have had a hand in this. But I can see that when I boot my HDD is on 100% usage on task manager. But it happens at any time during boot when I'm playing games, updating drivers and one time even in the bios.

5 minutes ago, NMS said:

So if I were to buy a new SSD and transfer my windows onto that would the issue be fixed?

7 minutes ago, NMS said:

I wouldn't be so sure. First, I'd check the SMART values to see if there's some information to confirm this

1 minute ago, Etern1ty said:

So if I were to buy a new SSD and transfer my windows onto that would the issue be fixed?

I would suggest you borrow a hard drive from a friend first. Sure you'll have to reinstall the drivers, but that's not too much work.

Just now, LionSpeck said:

I wouldn't be so sure. First, I'd check the SMART values to see if there's some information to confirm this

Agreed on this. HDTune would work along with a run for dead sectors.

Or CrystalDiskInfo.

But I must say that I had the exact same issue with my drive with all SMART values being okay.

3 minutes ago, NMS said:

I would suggest you borrow a hard drive from a friend first. Sure you'll have to reinstall the drivers, but that's not too much work.

Agreed on this. HDTune would work along with a run for dead sectors.

Or CrystalDiskInfo.

But I must say that I had the exact same issue with my drive with all SMART values being okay.

Yeah, exactly, the SMART values can give us hints, but can't tell us with certainty if the drive's bad. I've had pretty much the same freeze issues, but they were caused by missing WiFi card drivers, which seemed totally unrelated

How do I get my smart values?

I'll get to doing this once I update my Nvidia drivers without it freezing midway

27 minutes ago, Etern1ty said:

How do I get my smart values?

I'll get to doing this once I update my Nvidia drivers without it freezing midway

Gsmartcontrol is an open source SMART values viewer; you can just post a screenshot of the full table for the drive at issue and we'll explain what the values mean and if they sound bad, or you can just search for each value online to understand exactly what it means, if you prefer

2 hours ago, Etern1ty said:

This may be anything - from mainboard to graphics card. Some of your hardware is probably bad - overheated processor, faulty ram etc. It may be anything and the only way is to figure it by yourself by process of elimination (work without graphics card for a moment, with only 1 ram installed etc). But if it's processor or mainboard (I think it's probably mainboard) - you're out of luck - there is no good (I mean free) method to check that, unless you have spare parts.

And about SMART data... It may helps the same way as your detailed configuration helps. :) You write your configuration because someone asks (it happens on many forums) but after that you get completely unrelated answers (the same answers you'll get no matter what is your configuration). No, if disk is faulty, you'll get BSOD or other errors, but you'll get something, because system is still working. If you have total freeze - it's something worse.

SOMETIMES it may be driver, so at first try to install some older NVidia driver. Just to be sure that new driver not causes that.

Random crashing as you describe it is usually an indication of failing memory.  I would start there.  

4 hours ago, Ctown0812 said:

Random crashing as you describe it is usually an indication of failing memory.  I would start there.  

Everyone starts with testing memory, but I disagree that it's "usually" a reason. It's just first thing that people test, because it's easy to test.

More common are problem with motherboard or even PSU. I don't remember when I last time saw memory that was bad. Even when I saw once bad memory some time ago, it still works (more or less) and crashes was not that hard.