recommended ethernet wire cat 5 or cat 6?

Pachuca

hello,

I need to run about 150-200ft of ethernet wire from my router to another room in the house. I have seen flat cat 6 wires for sale and they seem really cheap. Why are these less than the other wires that are cylindrical? Also what's best for me to get a cat 5 or cat 6 in terms of performance? Are there any brands you would like to recommend?

thank you!

The flat ones probably have little to no protection whereas the round ones have additional shielding and are better rated. A lot of flat cables that I see are also CCA which is generally pretty bad and much harder to crimp/make your own.

In terms of performance, Cat5e vs Cat6 for gigabit speeds, there is no difference. Just make sure it's not CCA cable (copper clad aluminum) and you'll be good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

The flat ones probably have little to no protection whereas the round ones have additional shielding and are better rated. A lot of flat cables that I see are also CCA which is generally pretty bad and much harder to crimp/make your own.

In terms of performance, Cat5e vs Cat6 for gigabit speeds, there is no difference. Just make sure it's not CCA cable (copper clad aluminum) and you'll be good.

would this be good? 

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Snagless-Ethernet-White/dp/B00B3VWUBW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532283687&sr=1-3&keywords=ethernet+cable+cat6+150ft

2 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Cable Matters has done me well, bought a bunch of their stuff recently. That would work nicely

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: