Motherboard Audio front panel to 3.5 mm jacks?

So my brother tripped on my headset cable and damaged my cases headphone jack, occasionally it stops working and I have to wriggle it.

Does anyone know where I can buy a cable with 3.5 mm jacks on one side and a motherboard front panel audio connector on the other? So I can bypass my front IO.

I have looked but can't find any.

Thanks.

Use your motherboard audio outputs. Higher quality than those generic front panel connectors.

hi.

2 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Use your motherboard audio outputs. Higher quality than those generic front panel connectors.

Rear IO isn't amplified for headphones.
Front audio is driven by the motherboard anyway, so as along as the connectors are up to standard, there isn't much of a difference.

On 20/07/2018 at 10:11 PM, VegetableStu said:

why not save for a USB wall-powered amp or DAC at this point? o_o (general question to everyone)

Because I have a Sound Blaster Omni and it is crap.

You can't switch between outputs without unplugging the headset.
The headset has background noise.
The mic randomly stops working and requires a reboot.

The cheapest (and nicest) would be to buy something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-2-USB3-0-A-Hub-HD-Audio-to-20Pin-Header-Floppy-Front-Drive-Panel-2018/263705020269?hash=item3d660b476d%3Ag%3AxuIAAOSw-RFacCcb&_sacat=0&_nkw=audio+front+panel&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

otherwise, you can buy various cable extensions or cable adapters that would convert a 3.5mm stereo female connector into something else, like for example two RCA male connectors, and you could cut the RCA male connectors and connect the wires to a front panel connector on the motherboard.

The pins on the motherboard for that connector are standardized, so you can easily find the ground, left and right pins in the connector with a simple google search.

There's also 3.5mm stereo male jack to 3.5mm stereo female jack extension cables, so again you could cut one end of the cable to get a long cable with the female connector at one end, allowing you to solder the other end to the front panel plug that goes into the motherboard.

But, by the time you buy cables and do DIY on them and solder and all that, you get close to the price of a ready made thing like that one on eBay.

Cheaper usb 2.0 only version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-inch-9-Pin-to-USB-2-0-Mic-Audio-Floppy-Drive-Bay-Front-Panel-For-Desktop-PC/332668135950?epid=4019996003&hash=item4d7490ea0e%3Ag%3AhTQAAOSw30JbDluD&_sacat=0&_nkw=audio+front+panel&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

The cheapest (and nicest) would be to buy something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-2-USB3-0-A-Hub-HD-Audio-to-20Pin-Header-Floppy-Front-Drive-Panel-2018/263705020269?hash=item3d660b476d%3Ag%3AxuIAAOSw-RFacCcb&_sacat=0&_nkw=audio+front+panel&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

otherwise, you can buy various cable extensions or cable adapters that would convert a 3.5mm stereo female connector into something else, like for example two RCA male connectors, and you could cut the RCA male connectors and connect the wires to a front panel connector on the motherboard.

The pins on the motherboard for that connector are standardized, so you can easily find the ground, left and right pins in the connector with a simple google search.

There's also 3.5mm stereo male jack to 3.5mm stereo female jack extension cables, so again you could cut one end of the cable to get a long cable with the female connector at one end, allowing you to solder the other end to the front panel plug that goes into the motherboard.

But, by the time you buy cables and do DIY on them and solder and all that, you get close to the price of a ready made thing like that one on eBay.

Cheaper usb 2.0 only version: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-inch-9-Pin-to-USB-2-0-Mic-Audio-Floppy-Drive-Bay-Front-Panel-For-Desktop-PC/332668135950?epid=4019996003&hash=item4d7490ea0e%3Ag%3AhTQAAOSw30JbDluD&_sacat=0&_nkw=audio+front+panel&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

That's a nice solution, do you know any that has USB-C?
My case doesn't have any, and it would be a nice addition.

You can get USB-C to USB 3 motherboard header right?

Way back in the early 00s I put front panel audio on a cheap case. 

Used a floppy disc blank, drilled 2 holes for panel mount 3.5mm sockets and then got a donor front panel audio cable and chopped the end off and soldered it up. 

Fairly easy for anyone that can solder.

Not that hard to do similar, depending how your front panel PCB is, some companies may sell or supply a replacement, it may be possible to replace the socket on the board, or hack it up a bit and fit an alternative as it may be an obscure part or odd footprint. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can check the Jack connector if those 2 legs didn't moved. Those 2 legs make contact with the headphone jack and send the sound. Even if one of them are moved it can cause your problem. 

MFG_PJ-028-SMT.jpg

That hole on top it's a pin that carry the signal. If you didn't get it after work I'll send you some pictures with something more obvious.