Question about clearanced

Cbfbrolol

Hi, I have a NZXT H500 case with, on the specs sheet it specifies 165mm clearance for cpu cooling, the coolers I am looking at are the NOCTUA NH-D15 or the NH-D14, the 15 has a height of 165mm with fan and the 14 has a height of 160mm. My question is, if the case specifies 165mm clearance, does that mean anything that is 165mm will be resting up against the side pannel, or will there still be clearance beyond the 165mm to the side pannel. Any help would be appreciated.

It should barely fit.

Clearance means that everything = to and below will fit. But someones measurements might be off as well, so it's a close call. Just get the 14, unless you need that extra cooling power for yout CPU

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

16 minutes ago, Cbfbrolol said:

Hi, I have a NZXT H500 case with, on the specs sheet it specifies 165mm clearance for cpu cooling, the coolers I am looking at are the NOCTUA NH-D15 or the NH-D14, the 15 has a height of 165mm with fan and the 14 has a height of 160mm. My question is, if the case specifies 165mm clearance, does that mean anything that is 165mm will be resting up against the side pannel, or will there still be clearance beyond the 165mm to the side pannel. Any help would be appreciated.

mabye get a CM v8, as they have similar performance but the v8 looks sick.

the clearance will be very close. the d14 would be a better choice

The H500 has a tempered glass panel, you will have literally no clearance and if it sticks out even a tad bit you won't be able to close it because of the non-flexible tempered glass. I would not risk it, try finding something with a little lower profile. The dark rock pro 4 is 163 mm. It's still very close but a little better than 165.

I move my computer alot and as the side pannel is glass the last thing I really want is to smash the glass panel as getting a replacement will aside from the cost most likely be a nightmare 

I personally got a cooler that is 160mm tall and have a case that supports up to 160mm and I still got a couple mm to spare.

I believe you would be safe, but if you want to be extra sure go on pcpartpicker and look up the case you want and look for completed builds and see if one utilized the D15. If so; check the build and see if it was an issue for the builder

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I was even thinking of the NOCTUA NH-L12 as it is much lower profile and I womt have to worry about potentially smashing the side pannel.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, Firewrath9 said:

mabye get a CM v8, as they have similar performance but the v8 looks sick.

Uh, can you link to review which says V8 has similar performance to D15? They are priced same, but V8 performs much worse in all reviews I've seen.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:35 PM, Cbfbrolol said:

I move my computer alot and as the side pannel is glass the last thing I really want is to smash the glass panel as getting a replacement will aside from the cost most likely be a nightmare 

Tempered glass is stronger than that. Cooler touching it wouldn't be a issue. And you wouldn't be able to close side panel if it was.

On 7/19/2018 at 5:36 PM, Cbfbrolol said:

I was even thinking of the NOCTUA NH-L12 as it is much lower profile and I womt have to worry about potentially smashing the side pannel.

You can go with D15. Heatsink is 160mm and the extra 5-7mm comes when fan is moved to make room for RAM. If you have suitable RAM, there's no need to move fan upwards. Alternatively you can place fan to other side, or get D15S which comes with just middle fan. From Noctua there's also U12S which is very good performer.

Which CPU you have? L12 could do, but from low-profile ones C14S is still better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

33 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

http://www.ocfreaks.com/cooler-master-v8-gts-cpu-cooler-review/

says it performs better than the d14

Ok, I checked few other reviews too. Was thinking of older V8, GTS version is slightly better performing. But not definitively better than D14. Of the 4 reviews only 1 showed it performing well (with 1st gen i7) and the rest show it being worse than D14 (on Sandy Bridge i7). The review you linked has it on FX-series AMD. That might be reason for results, but thats just my guess.

Overall it V8 GTS might perform at level of D14, it looks better, but costs more and is considerably louder.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which CPU you have? L12 could do, but from low-profile ones C14S is still better.

I have a 8700. Im not ocing or overvolting but where i live in the summer it can hit 40c + for days on end and the house i live in is double brick so the longer it is hot the hotter the house gets and id rathrr not have to deal with ridicilously high temps or limited use when it gets hot

2 hours ago, Cbfbrolol said:

I have a 8700. Im not ocing or overvolting but where i live in the summer it can hit 40c + for days on end and the house i live in is double brick so the longer it is hot the hotter the house gets and id rathrr not have to deal with ridicilously high temps or limited use when it gets hot

Personally I would get U12S from Noctua line-up. Or similar 120mm tower. You don't need that much cooling, and you can still set manual voltages to control CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Cbfbrolol said:

After some research i have started to consider the cryorig h7

That has very low 145mm height and is free of DIMM/PCI-e slot clearance issues.

But 155mm high Scythe Mugen 5 would be likely strongest such cooler.

Every degree ambient temperature increase rises CPU temperature same amount, unless fan speed is increased.

So having good cooling power reserve over normally needed would be good for those hot temperatures.