68GB "Delivery optimization file" windows 10 , cant delete

suchamoneypit
Go to solution Solved by Tabs,
6 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

image.png.8cd9df1ba931b5178bc3814f5c7537b9.png

I lied, I read the top number but the file is still a rediculous 47.9GB.

Hello mate, the file isn't anywhere near that size. Windows Disk Cleanup is correct; it's only 8MB in size. If you look at the allocated column in that program you are using, you'll see that it's an 11.8MB on-disk directory containing approximately 2MB of metadata (folders and filestreams) and 8MB of actual data.

If you go to Explorer, find the directory and check it's properties, you'll see that the "Size" and "Size on disk" are substantially different. "Size on disk" is the important figure and determines how much actual space is taken on your drive by the files/folders.

If you want to find out what's taking up space on your machine, it'd be better to use something that checks actual vs reported file sizes.

usage.png

Windows 10 has a 68GB "delivery optimization file" which seems to be new, and its taking up a ton of the prime m.2 SSD real estate. Windows doesn't let me delete it. Whats this for? Can I remove it somehow? Was is it so large now when it didn't even exist before?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

disk cleanup may help

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

From what I saw in a quick google search, you can delete those files with Disc Cleanup. Ass for what it's for, apparently it lets you get windows updates more quickly/reliably I have no clue). If you want to read about it, https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

2 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

@suchamoneypit, go to Disk Cleanup->Clean up system files, check Delivery optimization files and click OK.

1 minute ago, Sayori said:

From what I saw in a quick google search, you can delete those files with Disc Cleanup. Ass for what it's for, apparently it lets you get windows updates more quickly/reliably I have no clue). If you want to read about it, https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-windows-update-delivery-optimization

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

disk cleanup may help

Yeah I checked disk cleanup as google suggested and it says the file it 13MB when wiztree tells me its 68GB and the space is clearly taken up. Windows bars me from deleting it from wiztree.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

6 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Can you post a screenshot?

9 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Try clicking on "Clean up system files".

tried that and tried restarting afterwards and still didn't work unfortunetly.

6 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Hello mate, the file isn't anywhere near that size. Windows Disk Cleanup is correct; it's only 8MB in size. If you look at the allocated column in that program you are using, you'll see that it's an 11.8MB on-disk directory containing approximately 2MB of metadata (folders and filestreams) and 8MB of actual data.

If you go to Explorer, find the directory and check it's properties, you'll see that the "Size" and "Size on disk" are substantially different. "Size on disk" is the important figure and determines how much actual space is taken on your drive by the files/folders.

If you want to find out what's taking up space on your machine, it'd be better to use something that checks actual vs reported file sizes.

usage.png

5 minutes ago, Tabs said:

That makes a lot of sense, I really appreciate the thorough reply.

To anyone who is wondering why the reported versus actual files in this folder are showing substantially different figures, it's because the way Delivery Optimisation works is by building a virtual directory tree of your entire windows installation, including user specific registry hives (ntuser.dat files), and all of the files from the SxS directory (the Windows side by side configuration store). The only data actually stored in this folder is the contents of files changed from one patch to another.

So, on my machine it shows as a 4.16GB folder because 4.16GB of files were collected into a virtual file structure when I updated from 17134.112 to 17134.137, but only 212MB of actual, new files were written.

This is the "optimisation" part - If the full patch was downloaded and installed, it'd be approximately 633MB of actual data.

This allows patch downloads to be much smaller, delta patches that are faster to download and install than traditional patches. As above, you can see the patch was ~210MB instead of 663.

9 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

You clicked the button and nothing changed? ._. 

yeah nothing at all.

• 1 year later...

I know this post is old but I literary just got the same issue and it says the size is 0 bytes on the disk clean-up but it actually is 74.6 gb (literary have 10 gb left on my ssd and i'm scared)

WHAT.JPG