My asus Rog gu501gm consistently hits 90-95' C on Cpu

My gpu temps are ususally fine but my cpu hits 90-95 when gaming. Is this fine?

That's way too high, you might want to replace the thermal paste on that cpu. The maximum temperature for the i7-8750H is 100C. You could see if having a fan blowing under it helps with the temperature.

90 to 95 °C is way too high. You have a few options that I suggest that you should consider:

- Clean the inside (and air vents/fans etc.) of your laptop, removing dust build up. However, since this laptop is released just recently, I highly doubt that dust is the culprit here.

- Remove the old thermal paste on your CPU and replace it with something like Arctic MX-4, Noctua NT-H1 or Arctic Silver 5.

32 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

90 to 95 °C is way too high. You have a few options that I suggest that you should consider:

- Clean the inside (and air vents/fans etc.) of your laptop, removing dust build up. However, since this laptop is released just recently, I highly doubt that dust is the culprit here.

- Remove the old thermal paste on your CPU and replace it with something like Arctic MX-4, Noctua NT-H1 or Arctic Silver 5.

What do you think of undervolting or getting a cooling pad?

1 minute ago, Mike2121 said:

What do you think of undervolting or getting a cooling pad?

I would first try changing the stock thermal paste for something more premium, like the ones I have mentioned earlier.

Pads transfer heat, but thermal paste is designed to flow and fill the imperfections in the processor IHS and the heatsink. Even if the pads have better thermal conductivity than paste, they will definitely have worse than the heatsink. The advantage of paste is that you can have just enough to fill any voids while still letting the heatsink make relatively direct contact with the CPU heatspreader. With a thermal pad, you now have a solid layer of material with inferior thermal conductivity completely separating your heatsink from the CPU.

Undervolting will obviously be your last bet.

30 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I would first try changing the stock thermal paste for something more premium, like the ones I have mentioned earlier.

Pads transfer heat, but thermal paste is designed to flow and fill the imperfections in the processor IHS and the heatsink. Even if the pads have better thermal conductivity than paste, they will definitely have worse than the heatsink. The advantage of paste is that you can have just enough to fill any voids while still letting the heatsink make relatively direct contact with the CPU heatspreader. With a thermal pad, you now have a solid layer of material with inferior thermal conductivity completely separating your heatsink from the CPU.

Undervolting will obviously be your last bet.

I don't know I might accidently void my 1 year warranty by opening it up and accidently breaking a seal.

5 minutes ago, Mike2121 said:

I don't know I might accidently void my 1 year warranty by opening it up and accidently breaking a seal.

If that floats your boat: undevolting your CPU is a reasonable choice.

After the 1 year warranty, you could then get rid of the undervolt and apply a better thermal paste.

4 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

If that floats your boat: undevolting your CPU is a reasonable choice.

After the 1 year warranty, you could then get rid of the undervolt and apply a better thermal paste.

How much do you think undervoltk g will affect CPU performance. I have the i7-8750h. Also does it damage the CPU at all?

For the money you spent on that laptop, I'd be pissed at those temperatures.

Get a refund.

4 minutes ago, Mike2121 said:

How much do you think undervoltk g will affect CPU performance. I have the i7-8750h. Also does it damage the CPU at all?

Undervolting does not damage the CPU at all. You damage the chip when you run it beyond its design limits like overvolting/overclocking.

24 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Undervolting does not damage the CPU at all. You damage the chip when you run it beyond its design limits like overvolting/overclocking.

My friend recomended just underclocking. Is this a better option?

26 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

What software would you recomend for undervolting the I7-8750H?

I would suggest Intel's XTU for that :)

Rather than writing down every step of the process, I'll refer you to one of the many guides that can be found online.

Notebookcheck (very reputable website) has made the following guide with the same CPU as yours:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-XTU-Undervolting-Guide.272120.0.html

9 hours ago, Mike2121 said:

My gpu temps are ususally fine but my cpu hits 90-95 when gaming. Is this fine?

What's the clock speed? Also what game.

This can happen with 8750H in thin chassis

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

What's the clock speed? Also what game.

This can happen with 8750H in thin chassis

Rainbow six siege and The witcher 3. ill have to check clock speeds tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm a bit late on this post but I recently purchased this laptop and I also play the same games. The hottest my cpu has been during gameplay is 74° C but I'm using a laptop fan.

15 minutes ago, MalekeT said:

I know I'm a bit late on this post but I recently purchased this laptop and I also play the same games. The hottest my cpu has been during gameplay is 74° C but I'm using a laptop fan.

You shouldn't really need to, if the laptop is well-designed.

U N D E R V O L T.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

• 7 months later...

I know this post is hella old. BUT JUST IN CASE you were planning to open this cancer, I just wanted to inform you what you were getting yourself into. Instead of using thermal pads. They seem to have just slapped on some juicy thermal paste everywhere. HOWEVER, after undervolting and changing the thermal paste. My temps went from 90-95 while gaming to around 75-80. My old idle temps were usually around 50. I now am usually around 40 flat. 

Edit: These temps are for my cpu.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 4/8/2019 at 8:39 AM, GuardianContent said:

I know this post is hella old. BUT JUST IN CASE you were planning to open this cancer, I just wanted to inform you what you were getting yourself into. Instead of using thermal pads. They seem to have just slapped on some juicy thermal paste everywhere. HOWEVER, after undervolting and changing the thermal paste. My temps went from 90-95 while gaming to around 75-80. My old idle temps were usually around 50. I now am usually around 40 flat. 

Edit: These temps are for my cpu.

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

late comment, but I've been running into thermal issues and I want to put thermal paste onto the laptop but Im not sure where the cpu is exactly or where I should apply the thermal paste. Can you send a pic of where the cpu is?